View Full Version : My First Adult Skating Week (And I'm Freaking Out!)

montanarose
07-28-2004, 11:57 PM
The good news is: for my birthday this year, my husband gave me the gift of the Aspen (CO) Adult Summer Skate Week, which is coming up the second week in August. The bad (well, at least, daunting) news is that I just received the schedule -- yikes!

Every day there are one or more freestyle classes, an edge class, a power stroking session, an off-ice session, an open dance session, a group class, and on some days dance/moves classes as well. Plus a two-hour off-ice session and a three-hour on-ice session with Ann Margreth Frei. If you do the math, this comes out to an average of five hours/day on-ice plus one hour/day off-ice. And in a weak moment I decided that I also needed a private lesson daily (what WAS I thinking 8O ?).

The catch is this: especially this summer, where the motto of most of our local rinks is either "all hockey, all the time" or "all kids, all the time," I'm lucky if I can log five to seven hours of on-ice time per week.

I'd be curious to hear from anyone out there who has done an intensive skating week/camp where you significantly ramp up the number of hours spent on-ice vs. your normal skating regimen. Besides packing my Skating Safe knee and butt pads and my big bottle of Aleve, any tips for surviving such an ordeal?

twokidsskatemom
07-29-2004, 12:41 AM
My dd is doing a two week camp from 10 to 5 30, with edges, power, off ice, freestyle, privates with the guest coaches ect. We just make sure she takes breaks, brings water heathy snacks ect. She is having a ball but tired at the end of the day.
have fun and good luck !!!!!! :)

skaternum
07-29-2004, 08:23 AM
You need to start increasing the amount of on- and off-ice work you do right now! (Actually, you should've started doing so last week.) Otherwise, you'll kill yourself on Day 1, which turns Day 2 into a waste. And don't feel obligated to do every session offered in the camp. It's okay to skip a few to give angry body parts a chance to chill out. :lol: