View Full Version : Learn To Skate Instruction

Figuresk8_katie
07-26-2004, 07:11 PM
Hi

I'm going to start teaching the LEARN TO SKATE program within our cities parks and recreation system. It's not really "figure skating" it's just skating in general. I've taught Canskate in the past and I know how to teach that. What techniques can one use to teach normal skating? Like crossovers, forwards skating, backwards skating, etc. I'm used to working on spins and 3turns, etc....not things young kids who just want to learn how to skate need to know. I appreciate any comments. Thank you very much!!!

Katie

plinko
07-27-2004, 11:20 AM
My town does learn to skate also as well as we have a figure skating club. If it's anything like yours, the learn to skate is about the equivalent of Canskate stages 1 - 3. Parents sign up for the learn to skate because it's about one third the cost and "he's just learning to skate for hockey". So, two expectations, that a cheap program can make their kids skate in one year, and secondly that they'll get the same quality of instruction as the Canskate program. Ha!!

So, look at the Canskate progressions for skates 1 - 3 and don't try to teach crossovers until they've good solid alternate feet stroking, front and backwards. Then move to crossovers on a line and circle-thrust-and-hold. The bigger challenge will be fixing those kids who think they can do crossovers and are just chopping their way around the circle.

Have fun!

PS: buy your own stock of stickers for encouragement and bribery.

garyc254
07-27-2004, 01:21 PM
Hi

I'm going to start teaching the LEARN TO SKATE program

Any idea on what age group(s)?

Figuresk8_katie
07-27-2004, 04:37 PM
I think the age group will be from about 3-6? There are other levels but the majority is about 3-6.

twokidsskatemom
07-27-2004, 09:44 PM
isnt lts through isi ? They have a whole program but its things like falling down, getting up, marching, one foot glides ect, snowplow stops
And there are some kids who can at 3,4 or 5 skate very well within a year or less.
look up isi or usfsa for what they list for tots.

AshBugg44
08-02-2004, 12:35 AM
Start them out with marching, especially the 3 and 4 year olds. When they have that grasped, move them on to stroking, although the littlest ones will probably march for awhile. Definately encourage proper stroking as soon as they begin it! Work with them on two foot glides, dips, forwards and backwards swizzles, one foot glides and snowplow stops. One foot glides need to be pretty well mastered before they move onto crossovers.