View Full Version : So, I can do a flip!

skatetiludrop
07-26-2004, 12:01 AM
Hey all, I had lessons on flip yesterday. One thing I'd say about this jump, it is kind of hard :evil:. I think it's by far the hardest jump I've ever learned (minus the lutz though because I'm learning that next week). After 2 sessions of holding on to the rail and jump and trying to tell myself it was nothing but a loop with a toe pick assistance, I flipped the flip! It felt so good to be able to land it. The more I jump, the more I like this jump. The picking enables you to jump really high up in the air and rotate. I used to think I could never do this jump as it looks really hard and it looks too pro!

TashaKat
07-26-2004, 12:07 AM
Well done :D

I like the flip, I prefer it to the toe loop! It seems more natural somehow :D

icedancer2
07-26-2004, 12:09 AM
In what way is a flip a loop with a toe assist?

Flip = pick off from a back inside edge.

Loop -- jump off a back outside edge?

A toe-loop is more like a loop with a toe-assist.

Don't get me wrong, the flip is probably my favorite jump from when I used to jump. But it is definitely off of a back inside edge (despite what you see Michelle Kwan doing...)

skatetiludrop
07-26-2004, 12:21 AM
In what way is a flip a loop with a toe assist?

Flip = pick off from a back inside edge.

Loop -- jump off a back outside edge?

Yeah, you're absolutely right. However, I just wanted a make a point that the movement after the picking resembles the loop despite their different edges. I think it's nice to break the jump down into small elements at first.
Thanks for your relply!

icedancer2
07-26-2004, 12:24 AM
Yeah, you're absolutely right. However, I just wanted a make a point that the movement after the picking resembles the loop despite their different edges. I think it's nice to break the jump down into small elements at first.
Thanks for your relply!

I suppose it's because it's a one-revolution jump.; I know what you mean now...

Happy flipping! I used to love to do this jump over and over and over again! Very comfortable!

skatetiludrop
07-26-2004, 12:38 AM
I think the flip is more flowing than toe loop too.
By the way, can anyone please suggest some good tips of how to land a flip on the toe pick, not on the blade? I find myself landing on the blade sometimes and I want to correct that. Thanks :)

vesperholly
07-26-2004, 08:47 AM
Actually, the flip resembles the salchow mostly - the 3-turn preparation with action from the R leg to take off. The body position is similar up until the leg is kept straight and picked (flip) or pigeon-toed and swung around (salchow). A salchow is called a cherry flip in other parts of the world.

The toe loop is nothing like the loop, despite their entrance edges. In a toe loop, you are cross-checked, your L foot is behind your R, you have to shift your weight from L take-off to R rotational. In a loop, you are open to the rotation, your R foot is forward, and there is no shift of weight. They actually couldn't be more opposite! :twisted:

Good news - getting your flip will help you monumentally in getting that lutz. Go you! :D

TashaKat
07-26-2004, 01:41 PM
Actually, the flip resembles the salchow mostly - the 3-turn preparation with action from the R leg to take off. The body position is similar up until the leg is kept straight and picked (flip) or pigeon-toed and swung around (salchow). A salchow is called a cherry flip in other parts of the world.

The toe loop is nothing like the loop, despite their entrance edges. In a toe loop, you are cross-checked, your L foot is behind your R, you have to shift your weight from L take-off to R rotational. In a loop, you are open to the rotation, your R foot is forward, and there is no shift of weight. They actually couldn't be more opposite! :twisted:

Good news - getting your flip will help you monumentally in getting that lutz. Go you! :D

In the UK a 'cherry flip' is a 'toe loop'. Some of the UK coaches also call the Flip a 'Toe Salchow'.

kisscid
07-27-2004, 03:08 PM
Copngrats on flipping you flip! I have only landed it "cleanly" 3 times. Most of the time I 2 foot the landing. It's a mental thing with me and jumping. I do the same thing with the loop. But I must say my 1/2 flip and 1/2 loop are really rather nice :)
Cid