View Full Version : Is ballet a good exercise?

Helene
07-25-2004, 09:47 AM
I`ve been skating for three years now, and I appraise to take ballet lessons next season.
And so I`m just curious if there are many of you that is taking ballet lessons in addition to the skating lessons, do you think this has improved your skating skills?

JessicaLynn
07-25-2004, 11:00 AM
This is kind of opposite from what you're asking, but I was a ballet dancer from age 9-17. I then stopped due to college. I am 21 now and just started skating in February. I was told I have great posture and everyone was impressed by the first spiral I did because it was so strong and high. I really think it helps my "graceful" moves and coordination with connecting elements.

So I guess I think it would help! I have a feeling I wouldn't have done as well when I started skating had it not been for my prior dance experience. Doing ballet can only further enhance your skating.

DancinDiva
07-25-2004, 06:57 PM
This is kind of opposite from what you're asking, but I was a ballet dancer from age 9-17. I then stopped due to college. I am 21 now and just started skating in February. I was told I have great posture and everyone was impressed by the first spiral I did because it was so strong and high. I really think it helps my "graceful" moves and coordination with connecting elements.

So I guess I think it would help! I have a feeling I wouldn't have done as well when I started skating had it not been for my prior dance experience. Doing ballet can only further enhance your skating.

I had the same sort of experience! After dancing from 4-22, I picked up skating at 22 and everyone in my first skating class was surprised when I told them I had never skated before! All my ballet training definitely helped with posture, balance, flexibility, and turnout. Sign up for ballet lessons, it certainly can't hurt, and I'm sure you won't regret it!

Sk8s4Bananas
07-25-2004, 07:23 PM
I think Ballet is very good for everyone's skating. I take ballet and I used to be one of those girls who could do the jumps, but had no artistry and her basic skating skills were just horrible. Since I started taking ballet my presentation started to improve and my spirals are a lot higher than they used to be and when doing crossovers my back is straight and looks very good. Ballet helps with the extension mainly. :D Hope that helps!!

SkateGuard
07-25-2004, 10:34 PM
The answer...yes, yes, and yes.

I have good carriage for a beginning adult, probably due to childhood ballet experience. Plus it helps with flexibility, core body strength, and all those other things that are good for skating.

However, check out the off-ice ballet class before you sign up. At my rink, it is often taught by dancing/skating teenagers. It will cost about the same at a ballet studio with professional instructors.

Erin
who has now moved over to yoga, which is another good off-ice activity