View Full Version : Goal Setting

newfieskates
07-20-2004, 04:00 PM
Lately I have been setting different goals in my skating and using different techniques to try and reach these goals, but they just don't seem in reach. Does anyone have any techniques they use to help achieve their goals?

CanAmSk8ter
07-20-2004, 04:14 PM
Break them down so you have some intermediate goals. For example, if your goal is to win Regionals, set some more goals in the meantime- by xxx date, I want to be landing my double Lutz eight of ten times; I want to be able to do double runthroughs of my short by the end of the month; I want to be consistantly doing two more revs on my flying camel by the end of next week.

The problem could also be that you're just setting your goals unrealistically. Discuss it with your coach, he or she should be able to help you think of some realistic, attainable goals to work toward. I know some sports psychologists suggest setting goals for each session you skate, whether it's to do your entire program without looking down, to land at least three of whatever, or to complete your entire program no matter what mistakes you make (I think more skaters should make that a goal, b/c I see a lot who don't do it!) Try not to make all of your goals element-oriented, such as landing certain jumps; try to make at least some of them behavioral things (like finishing a program, or doing extra power drills) that YOU are in complete control of that will help make you a better skater in the long run.

vesperholly
07-20-2004, 08:41 PM
Good advice from CanAm. I would reiterate not to make goals from things that are relatively out of your control (especially competition placements). Good training behaviors are excellent for goal-setting and will help to make your practices not only more efficient but your skating more consistent.

For example, I decided I spend too much time resting and sipping my water, so I limit myself to five water breaks per hour session. This has helped keep me moving on a session, and also helps my endurance as I don't take so many breaks.

Stormy
07-20-2004, 08:54 PM
That's a goal I need to set for myself, actually! I'm the water (& tissue) queen. The tissues are usually because I really need to blow my nose, but the water more often than not is to stall because I don't want to work on certain jumps. :oops:

Excellent advice about realistic goals. Once you've set your goals, maybe buy a small notebook to record them. A lot of the skaters at my rink have these and use them daily to record their progress and write down goals. It's a good motivator!

dbny
07-20-2004, 09:59 PM
I also set very small goals for myself. An example would be to get as comfortable with LFI Mohawks as I am with RFI. To that end, I have to do at least 10 LFI Mohawks every time I skate. That's a goal I set several months ago, and let fall by the wayside, so I'm glad to have this reminder to get back to it.

Isk8NYC
07-22-2004, 10:22 AM
At a freestyle session last week, I met a very determined adult skater who keeps a notebook open on the boards. When I was tightening my skates, I noticed that the skater made notes in it during the session.

I thought that was a great idea, so I picked up a little lined notebook for myself. On the left side, I wrote down what I wanted to work on at the next practice. On the right side, I have room to make notes about how I did.

I think that there are some kind of "Skaters Training Logs" available for purchase. I've seen the swimming ones, which mostly track progress through timing. I wonder what's in the skating logs, and if you could just duplicate it with a blank book of your own.

I also use DBNY's technique of 10. I do them early, just to get them out of the way. It has helped with things that I just don't like to do, so I stall them off or forget to practice them.

newfieskates
07-22-2004, 01:29 PM
I also use DBNY's technique of 10. I do them early, just to get them out of the way. It has helped with things that I just don't like to do, so I stall them off or forget to practice them.

What is DNBY's technique of 10?
Oh and thank you for everyone's input so far.

skaternum
07-22-2004, 02:42 PM
What is DNBY's technique of 10?

Read DBNY's post in this thread. It's right there.

skateflo
07-22-2004, 03:54 PM
In all honesty, working the same stuff every session gets boring and can be discouraging. Last fall I got a 5 x 7 spiral notebook and most every lesson my coach and I write what we worked on and pointers. I sometimes add little things I noticed during practice that expands on our notes. I do keep the book on the barrier or bench, for quick and handy reference. Sometimes I just flip pages and pick something to do.

During the winter months when I am wearing a bolero polarfleece that has pockets, I tuck in an index card with a list of various elements to have with me at different parts of the rink (have to keep moving you know, for myself and because of other skaters/coaches.) It is hard to remember all the things I can do, so the card helps me pick and choose. Some things I may not do for several weeks or even months.

Then there are certain elements that I set a number to for each time I practice; 2 Waltz 8's, 6-10 spins, etc. depending on my current curriculum from coach. There are also times when I just want to dabble in a variety of easier things like edge work, posture, etc. that I have exercises for. It is interesting to note that coach will introduce a variety of exercises that either I work with then or we let slide to another time down the road.

For me, variety is the best way to keep enjoying skating and advance my skills. Even the simplest things (stroking, crossovers, edges) can be made smoother and faster over time. I feel one can never do enough foundation work. I also let my body be my guide. There are times when my energy, flexibility, mental mood encourages me to push the envelope, and there are times it says to me don't stress your joints today. I've learned to listen to my body.....well, most of the time.