View Full Version : Sparkling or Shabby: 18-24 July 2004

Mrs Redboots
07-20-2004, 06:12 AM
Sparkling: Well, I'm glad we decided not to skate on Sunday morning, as it turns out there was no ice! So we made the right decision to have a lie-in. Our coach was a bit late this morning, which meant we only just had time to fit in our lesson before Robert had to go, but we did manage to fit it in. We did our dance through to the music! It is still pretty terrible, but you can see how it's going to be when it's finished - and an outside observer told us that our spin had done the required 3 revolutions!!! :) 8-)

Shabby: The coach has "dumbed down" the turn sequence (thought he would!), but at least I can do it now, which I couldn't before. And our twizzle sequence is terrible! We both do it wrong.... actually the whole end pattern is a bit disastrous still, but that's mainly lack of practice. The rest of it is coming nicely.

Once R had gone, I practised a lot of things on my own, some better than others!

NCSkater02
07-20-2004, 07:31 PM
Sparkling: The freestyle session was an extra 15 minutes. I feel like I am making some forward progress on my scratch spin, but it is so slow and disheartening. I actually did 2 or 3 that were centered, and that I managed to pull in. One was fast enough to make me dizzy. Of course, that was out of 20-25 minutes of spinning. But, it's getting better. At least I have jumps to cheer me up.

Shabby: Not too much, except all the time I spent on spinning. :roll: I'm not sure if I struggle because I don't care for spinning or if I don't care for spinning because I struggle so much.

Salchow was also swingy. I'm not checking the 3turn and swinging the free leg too much.

luna_skater
07-20-2004, 08:26 PM
Shabby: Loops and brackets weren't that great today. :( My back inside loops were awesome, and I feel like I have suddenly lost them. Mild panic is setting in because test day is on Saturday, and I REALLY want to pass this.

Sparkling: Multi-turns are comfortable enough. Flying choctaws were really good today. They need to be a bit more curvy so I don't smoke the boards at the end. But my agility has improved a billion percent.

Figureskates
07-21-2004, 05:48 AM
Since coach is on vacation this week, it was all practice today.

Shabby: My outside alternating 3s are still not up to snuff. I am still not waiting until the top of the lobe to make my turn which means I have to spend more time on my back inside edge back to the axis which means I usually reach for the axis to step out on the forward outside edge. One of these days I will do it right.

Sparkling: My crossovers in the figure 8 pattern. They now are much quieter and I have a pretty good lean too!!

We had a speed demon today in session. She was going a million miles an hour through everybody's pattern and almost took me as well as a few other skaters out. I was in a mid ice collision 3 years ago and I am still somewhat gun shy. Then I was in lesson and I was just starting to learn the Waltz 8 when this 8 year old girl hit me full bore. She was a big girl too which made the collision more jarring. Thank goodness no one was hurt but I sure was sore for about 3 weeks and my coach was a little "upset".

Mrs Redboots
07-21-2004, 07:37 AM
Solo lesson today, after about 30 minutes' practice with Robert (we were rather late to bed last night, so didn't hurry down to the rink this morning!). The practice was really rather shabby, since we were working on the parts of the dance that we still find difficult and oh, it is disheartening when I'm trying to twirl under Robert's arm and can't do it easily and he can't keep steady easily, either, but tends to go round me, and then you see a senior couple doing it for the whole length of the rink, easily and well! R and I happened to be on opposite sides of the rink when that happened, and we just looked at each other and shrugged!

Lesson, however, was mostly sparkling, especially when the coach told me that my outside-to-inside changes-of-edge were "textbook"! :D He wasn't quite so complimentary about my inside-to-outside ones, alas..... oh well, you can't have it all. My back inside edges were flowing and fast, and nearly passed muster (not quite; I should, apparently, have been curving them in more at the end, but if I did, I rather lost flow), and I learnt a new skill: back inside loops (drawn on the ice, not jumped!). These are fun, and good for my flexibility. Sort of like back twizzles, but not quite.

Coach is now seriously working my back cross-rolls (progress! :P ), which are not yet good, but "much better".

I thought my back outside edges were dreadful (and I thought my FO ones, which I did for a warm-down at the end of the session, were, too, but the coach didn't see those), but he said they were vastly improved. They felt clunky, though.

I found myself promising to do some solo work with a friend tomorrow evening in dance club, and I do hate solo dance! Oh well, I suppose it is good for me - I did a Golden Skaters' Waltz earlier today when its music was playing, and really, it was hopeless. :oops: Ah well....

jenlyon60
07-21-2004, 08:20 AM
This is for Monday...

My goal for the summer (and beyond) is to work on my dances solo, so that I'm contributing adequate power to the pattern... having realized that I don't want to look like a chubby middle-aged woman being pushed around by her coach.

Shabby: Coach would like a bit more attack on the forward power 3's... although I am getting the turns on both sides at top of lobe consistently.

Am touching down slightly to steady myself before doing the swing closed outside mohawk in the Tango... this when doing it solo. But last week and week before I wasn't even wanting to try the mohawk solo, so I guess that's an improvement. I can do the mohawk solo slowly, but not yet at full attack after the promenade of the dance pattern.

Sparkling: 5-step mohawk... coach liked the flow and that I'm able to finally hold my bugbear RFI edge longer before doing the mohawk on that side. (I would like to hold it longer still...)

Tango cross-back chasses. Started doing them solo to the music up and down the rink. After the first couple lobes, got the hang of it (I had been doing them slower than proper tempo...) and the lobes had a nice feel. Still need to work on more crispness.

Forward cross steps in the Tango. Coach had me do these down the rink to the music also (even though in the dance, I only have to do one sequence in the corner before the cross-roll 3). These were a bit more challenging to the music and I realized that I'm not really controlling the edge well.

luna_skater
07-21-2004, 11:24 AM
Shabby: Felt like everything. :evil: Only half an hour of ice this morning. I really need to find an effective off-ice warm-up that works for me. I feel like it takes me way too long to warm up on the ice so that I feel comfortable doing the exercises. But for test day, I have very little time to warm up on ice before the test starts. If I don't get a good warm-up, I am shaky, tight, and nervous.

I am nervous about the loops. They aren't as consistent as I want them, and I think I will pass or fail based on what type of mood the judge is in...and how picky she wants to be.

Sparkling: I guess my flying choctaws were pretty good. *sigh*

NoVa Sk8r
07-21-2004, 11:46 AM
Shabby: On Monday night, while showing someone how to do a lutz, I drove the back of my left blade into my right shin. I was skating slowly so that the woman could follow me closely. I quickly told her, "Make sure you don't do THAT!" 8-)

Sparkling: I learned this morning that I can do a decent sit-change-back camel (the camel-change-back sit was not as good). And Loops and I are excited and slowly getting ready to debut our pair program at Hershey. Here's hoping we don't embarrass ourselves. (Let's not even talk about the tight, purple velvet shirt that I will be wearing.)

luna_skater
07-21-2004, 02:42 PM
Sparkling: Everything felt way better than this morning. As soon as I stepped on the ice I felt ready to go. I really think I just need a more effective off-ice warm-up so I am loose when I hit the ice. Brackets were better on the first try, and loops improved by the end of the session. Power threes feel awesome. Multi-turns were ok, too. Back outside loops have really come a long way.

Shabby: Forward inside loops stink. Back outside used to be non-existent, but now I have gotten the hang of them and the forward inside ones just suck, plain and simple.

Terri C
07-21-2004, 07:45 PM
(Let's not even talk about the tight, purple velvet shirt that I will be wearing.)

Aw, too bad I won't be going to Hershey! :halo: But some of the skaters from my rink are going!

Sparkling: Monday afternoon ice is like skating a private session at a regular freestyle rate- I get the whole surface to myself! So, my practice went like this:
Moves for 30 minutes (yes, I'm no longer afraid of power threes! 8-) )

Spins/ Jumps for 20 minutes. Did jumps that are already in program in program pattern.

For 40 minutes , worked on my program, which meant playing my program music to get used to doing that footwork sequence,again, and again and FINALLY GOT IT!!

Yesterday, showed it all to Coach and she was pleased with that as well as the program run through.

Shabby:
My goal for this program is to can that loop from stand still take off position that I've been doing and actually do the loop with a RFI3 with speed. While I had a couple of good efforts yesterday, this will lots of work, Not to mention the fact that I have a hunch that there will be more footwork added to my program!

mikawendy
07-21-2004, 09:14 PM
Shabby:
Skated a freestyle session after show rehearsal on Saturday morning and realized my blades were DULL AS BUTTERKNIVES! I wasn't expecting it because I had gotten 40 hrs. out of the previous sharpening and they didn't feel as dull then as they did this time after only 30 hrs. of skating.

Sparkling:
Was able to get them sharpened in a hurry before the next show practice instead of having to drive an hour to my usual pro b/c a fellow at my rink sharpens skates (and does a great job). Five minutes before the next practice, he said to me "You're just NOW getting on the ice?! Watch out, those are sharp." He was right!! I went to do a 2-foot turn during our number and nearly toppled over right there! I wasn't expecting it because during warm-up, I hadn't had trouble stopping or doing 3 turns.

NoVa Sk8r
07-21-2004, 10:31 PM
Aw, too bad I won't be going to Hershey! :halo: But some of the skaters from my rink are going!
Well, the outfit will get even better: Loops and I are adding rhinestones! We're hoping to have "magpie judges"; i.e., ones that get distracted by small, shiny objects. :P

jazzpants
07-22-2004, 01:31 AM
Shabby:

My secondary coach told me that she won't be able to coach me for the rest of this month. :( (Or should that be a :mrgreen: ? Just kidding...) :lol: She will make up for those lessons in August though. (*GULP!*)
Sparkling:

My primary coach was kind enough to take me in her place until then, since he knows that I'm testing in less than a week from now... Luckily for him, he's also teaching another one (or two) of his other students on that day as well. (He keeps an eye on me while I'm take my lesson with the secondary coach and often joins in on the fun of torturing me along with the secondary coach.) :roll: :P
My forward power 3's are better still today. Primary coach still thinks it's too slow (compared to my better side.) But now he's confident that I'll probably pass Bronze Moves. 8O (I'll believe it when it happens...) :P
All of my other moves are fine.

LoopLoop
07-22-2004, 08:40 AM
Well, the outfit will get even better: Loops and I are adding rhinestones! We're hoping to have "magpie judges"; i.e., ones that get distracted by small, shiny objects. :P

Don't give away all our secrets yet! :P

NoVa Sk8r
07-22-2004, 09:04 AM
Don't give away all our secrets yet! :P

I'm just trying to whet our audience's appetite!

NickiT
07-22-2004, 09:12 AM
Shabby
My own fault really but I tried to skate today even though I'm recovering from a stomach bug that I suffered on Tuesday. Normally I'd pass on a lesson but with losing masses of ice time over the next four weeks due to summer skate school and hockey camp, I felt I had to make the effort.

Well I learned my lesson - that skating after such an illness isn't a good thing to do. I did a few field moves, a few jumps and then I promptly felt very unwell and thought I was going to faint. I gave my poor coach the fright of her life as she could see she was losing me - so much of my lesson was spent sipping hot chocolate in the cafe and trying to come round again.

Sparkling
Despite my ill health I landed some nice jumps and did some of my best spins - weird, huh? My coach reckoned I did one of my best camel spins ever, I did a decent camel/sit combination and managed a good change foot sitspin.

Nicki

flo
07-22-2004, 10:25 AM
Nova - ouch!
Shaby - got held up at work so I missed my Tuesday night skate and lesson. My calf muscle is still a bit tender, so I cut my new music,and was looking forward to working on the program.

Sparkly - I was able to skate yesterday - the muscle felt better,and I could do a couple small jumps - a waltz and loop.

Something interesting - I just got my new boots (custom Harlicks) and blades (phantoms), and noticed that the blades were longer than before, although the size was the same. I contacted MK asking if there had been a change in design, and they replied that there had been no change. I'm going to take them back this weekend an see what the fitter says.

luna_skater
07-22-2004, 11:11 AM
Sparkling: T-minus three more on-ice practices until test day, and I feel pretty confident! I tried to do sort of a semi-simulation this morning, doing an extra jogging lap to warm up, and then doing a warm-up on ice faster than usual. The extra off-ice warm up did help, so I think for test day I will just have to make sure I am able to get really warm off-ice. All the hard work I put in yesterday after being so frustrated really paid off and I managed good run-throughs of each exercise of the first try. I was ecstatic to get through the bracket turns across the end of Snakes and Ladders (8 in a row on each foot) without touching down, because these gave me a lot of grief yesterday. Flying choctaws have much better agility every time I do them. My loops weren't perfect, but I was satisfied with them. I think they would have passed.

Shabby: Not much! Just the loops, I guess. They improved since yesterday, but I would still like them to be more stable. This afternoon I plan to start with a little simulation again, then work the loops quite a bit.

I also had an interesting revelation this morning. I know that when I get nervous I tighten up in the shoulders and come up in the knees. But I also discovered that I apparently ball my left hand into a tight fist. :lol: When I realized this and relaxed my hand, it brought my shoulders down and relaxed my whole upper body. It also distracted me a bit from my feet, which is a good thing, because my feet know what they are doing...my head just gets in the way sometimes. So I'm hoping this little trick of thinking about relaxing my hands will hold up throughout the weekend and will help on test day!

MQSeries
07-22-2004, 11:15 AM
Sparkling
Finally I feel like I'm able to rotate around the right side of my body and keep my legs crossed on the axel. I've changed my technique on the take-off and it seemed to work last night. If this continues then I'll try 2axel again later in the summer. Landed 2sal, 2toe, and 2loop last night. Whohoo :) Forward camel was decent.

Shabby
1Ltz still doesn't feel right. Can't go for double until I get the 1lutz correct. Sit spin is still blah.

roogu
07-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Hey Luna,

When I did the inside loops, i always found what helped me was when you start it, of course, have your opposite arm in front ...... so if you were doing the RFI loop, you start it with your left arm in front and right in the back ..... and once you get past the top of the loop, you switch arms and bring your right arm in front right away .. it usually helps your edge come around and complete the loop. Also make sure that your arms aren't too high on those.

Another tip for the back 3's/bracket sequence ..... is to keep your arms low ..... so when you start the sequence on the left foot .. keep your right arm in front and left arm behind just maybe 6 inches from your hip or so ... and flatten your hands so that your palms are facing the ice .... that always helped the balance for that sequence for me. Of course, make sure that your arms don't swing back and forth as you do the turns.

keep in mind that you're allowed to mess up 2 of the 8 loops and pass. Also the judge isn't looking that you do absolutely perfect sized loops .... they can be bigger...the judge is looking that you have the ability to get back around. hope this helped!

newfieskates
07-22-2004, 01:54 PM
Shabby: I couldn't land any of my jumps today and my solos were so bad I didnt do any of my goals.

Sparkling: I then found out that my skates needed to be sharpened really bad so i just brought them in to get sharpened. Hopefully their better tomorrow. :lol:

icenut84
07-22-2004, 02:12 PM
I skated on Tuesday aswell but this is for today.

Shabby:

I forgot my skating trousers, so I had to skate in jeans! 8O It felt very strange. Funnily enough, I didn't bother attempting any spirals :)

Sparkling:

Although my spins travel, I actually did some that were a bit better today. :)

I got a really nice compliment from one of the other skaters. You know when you get one of those genuine, totally random comments? Well I'd just been practicing something like crossovers (can't remember), and one of the ladies I skate with said "You look good on the ice, even in jeans", and said my legs were nicely extended. :D It was very nice to hear!

Although there were parts of my skating that could have been better today (like my salchow), on the whole it was pretty good. :) And I was in a good mood anyway so I felt great!! :mrgreen:

mikawendy
07-22-2004, 03:47 PM
Something interesting - I just got my new boots (custom Harlicks) and blades (phantoms), and noticed that the blades were longer than before, although the size was the same. I contacted MK asking if there had been a change in design, and they replied that there had been no change. I'm going to take them back this weekend an see what the fitter says.

Hi, flo--
I just had a thought--maybe the blades you have now are genuinely Phantoms and the ones on your old pair were mislabeled?

Did you measure each blade to see if it matched the length that is marked on the blade? Maybe they are both Phantoms but one set's length is mismarked on the blades?

Very strange! Let us know what you find out!

NCSkater02
07-22-2004, 06:58 PM
I skated a public session with 60 kids today--but it wasn't too bad. Then I did a Freestyle for my lesson. My poor aching muscles are reminding me that 2 1/2 hours is tooooo long! 8O

Sparkling: My coach wants to know where in the world my back inside edges came from! If I knew, I could tell her. They just showed up today. Now, she's talking about testing in November--that's way too soon, considering we don't even work on alt. 3turns yet, and I can't do back inside edges. Forward edges are ok, they just need work. AND, the rink is changing moves time to power time. I also did one salchow that felt so good that it must have been wrong.

Shabby: Crowded ice? The extra hour I skated? Not too much. I even had fun with the little girl that glued herself to my side--and I let her, at least part of the time.

Mrs Redboots
07-23-2004, 06:28 AM
Sparkling: Mostly last night was for dance club; I didn't spend much time on the ice before it, only enough really to warm up and do one lap of Russian stroking and one of forward cross-rolls. Dance Club was fun; at one stage there was just me and three men available to dance! That didn't last long though, alas - by the end of the session, as usual, there were more women than men. One young lady, who we thought had given up, reappeared saying she had been on her French exchange which is why she'd been away, and another woman was back after illness, but then someone else is away for the next few weeks, and so it goes.....

Shabby: Didn't get a chance to do the 14-step with Robert, as the first time it was played he did it solo, much to my irritation, and the second time he grabbed someone else! Couldn't remember the steps of the Tango across the end of the rink, which annoyed me. Stood there like a lemon at the start of the Willow Waltz, with my hand held out for a partner, and these three men all stood there and didn't take a blind bit of notice! Eventually Robert came and we danced it. Chickened out of dancing the Fiesta Tango, which I hate, although I can do it, but had fun trying to invent a new "easy" dance to do to the Viennese Waltz.

luna_skater
07-23-2004, 11:06 AM
Roogu, thanks for the tips on the loops. I have been taught to do the forward outside loops with the opposite arm leading, and the inside loops with the same arm leading. I gave the inside loops a try this morning the way you suggested, but I have been doing it so long "my way" that my arms didn't really want to cooperate. :) I think I am being pickier about my loops than necessary. Even though I think they should be smaller and need more flow, my coach says they look fine because you can see the loop action.

Sparkling: Well, nothing was partiuclarly outstanding today, but I was happy to get through run-throughs of each exercise that I was satisfied with. There were things about each that could have been better, but if I skate the test tomorrow the way I practiced this morning, I will be happy with that. My nerves and my nemesis, so I just want to be relaxed and I know I can get through everything.

Shabby: I did feel tighter than I wanted this morning, even though I got through the exercises OK. Tomorrow my focus is going to be being really loose, bending my knees, and having my hips under me. When I'm nervous and tight I break at the waist. I need to keep my shoulders down and relaxed and my weight underneath me.

NoVa Sk8r
07-23-2004, 11:32 AM
Sparkling: Loops and I fixed a lift that has been dogging us for weeks--and we even added an extra rotation! Also, saw Yoshie Onda skate this morning, and it was quite a revelation and exhilarating to see her land huge double axels and do very easy triple toes.

Shabby: Death spiral is not progressing as expected. Also, found out that at the next competition in 2 weeks, the warm-up time is only 3 minutes 8O , which will be reduced to 2 minutes if we skate first. 3 minutes?! C'mon, now!

LoopLoop
07-23-2004, 11:37 AM
Sparkling: Loops and I fixed a lift that has been dogging us for weeks--and we even added an extra rotation! Also, saw Yoshie Onda skate this morning, and it was quite a revelation and exhilarating to see her land huge double axels and do very easy triple toes.

After you left she did some harder jumps too. :) And quite nicely.

Terri C
07-23-2004, 11:41 AM
For whatever reason, the rain, going to bed late last night, maybe sleeping in too long this morning, I simply couldn't get my a#$ in gear this morning on the ice. Jumps were off and trying to do my program run through, well the beginning was fine, but once the music picks up and it's time for footwork, my body got that oh $%^& reaction. :frus:
It's all behind me now and I eagerly look forward to Monday afternoon for my "private at regular freestyle rate" ice time !

luna_skater
07-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Sparkling: Overall, I had a really good afternoon session, and I feel ready for test day tomorrow! Multi-turns are fine; just have to stay relaxed. Power threes are really good. Loops were pretty good; just need to concentrate and feel them out. They seem to get worse the longer I work on them some days, so I think I just need to ride out the edge and not rush them. Spiral were REALLY good! Extension felt good, and the edges were more curved and controlled. Brackets weren't so hot, but I managed all 8 on each foot without touching down. Flying choctaws will be fine, also. Just have to remember to make them curve enough so I don't smoke the boards at the end. :)

Shabby: I can't quite get my three turn leading into the 3s/brackets in the right spot, so my 3s/brackets don't really end up going across the end. They sometimes start halfway across, so then I have to angle them or else I will run out of room. I don't think this is a major deal, as long as I can do them. But I would prefer if they were on the pattern a bit better.

Wiped out right at the end of practice for the first time in MONTHS doing a simple skid-stop, of all things. Banged up my elbows quite nicely. I'm just glad it wasn't on a difficult element, or I would have been playing major mind games with myself going into tomorrow. I won't fail for buggering up a stop.

Michigansk8er
07-23-2004, 07:54 PM
Sparkling - Tried a camel/back sit and flying camel. Haven't lost them!!!! :)

Shabby - Jumping is still too scary. I've totally lost them. Tried a flip and it flopped.

fadedstardust
07-24-2004, 05:32 AM

Perhaps you got the dovetail cut on your last pair? I thought they were on Phantom specials only, but maybe not. Dovetail tapers off and is much shorter at the end of the blade than regular phantom. That or the size of either the old or the new ones was mislabeled, but that seems unlikely.

Mrs Redboots
07-24-2004, 09:31 AM
Also, found out that at the next competition in 2 weeks, the warm-up time is only 3 minutes 8O , which will be reduced to 2 minutes if we skate first. 3 minutes?! C'mon, now!That's normal for us - you get one minute longer than the length of your programme, so a 2.5-3 minute warm-up is normal. I don't even know how to handle a six-minute warm-up, finding it much harder!

Seriously, see that you are thoroughly warmed up off-ice so that when you get on you don't have to skate for long before you can run through the elements you need to warm up. And maybe, if you work that way, do a mental warm-up together.

Luna_skater and/or Roogu, which is the hardest loop? I'm learning back inside loops, and they are quite hard enough, but I have a feeling they're the easiest, no?

luna_skater
07-24-2004, 10:37 AM
Luna_skater and/or Roogu, which is the hardest loop? I'm learning back inside loops, and they are quite hard enough, but I have a feeling they're the easiest, no?

I'm not exactly sure which one would be considered hardest. I am tempted to say back outside. It took me forever to get the hang of those. However, once I did, they are better than my forward inside ones. I learned forward outside first, then forward inside, then back inside, then back outside. The back inside ones came easiest to me. I would say my best are my back inside, then forward outside, then back outside, an forward inside. My back outside ones are a bit larger than I would like them to be, but they tend to have much more flow than my forward inside.

CanAmSk8ter
07-24-2004, 11:56 AM
I've only played around with loops a very little bit, but I think back outsides are the hardest too. Makes sense- back outside brackets were always the hardest for me too.

Isk8NYC
07-24-2004, 01:14 PM
Shabby:

Got stuck in flood traffic, so I was 30 mins. late for the session. Fortunately, the schedule had been changed (I forgot) and I was actually on time, sort of.
Those horrible "three's on the line" are killing me. Not that I've ever had decent footwork, but these are much more difficult than they should be.
My coach thinks I should have the blades checked and reset again (for the third time.) Important tip: If you buy new boots, get the blades at the same time. Switching blades just makes life too difficult.
Took a footwork clinic with a different coach this week. Nice guy, very artistic skating. Waaaay beyond my dance and presentation talent, but had a great lesson.
Sparkling:

Using DBNY's Rule of 10, I've strengthened a bunch of weaknesses in crossovers and MITF maneuvers.
All of my spins were outstanding, except for the finish. (It still hurts to get up out of the sit spins.)
Jumps are coming along, but need more work. Starting to feel more natural again.
If I master the MITF, I'll pass the Freestyle tests easily. Man, I miss patch.

skaternum
07-24-2004, 02:46 PM
Important tip: If you buy new boots, get the blades at the same time. Switching blades just makes life too difficult.

Based on my experience, I'd have to disagree with this. I switched brands of boot and models of blade at the same time. It was awful! While it did mean I only had to go through relearning how to skate just once, it made it virtually impossible to tell what problems were caused by which piece of equipment. E.g., is the "pulling" on my right foot because the blade isn't in the right spot, or is the boot not fitting properly, or is the boot defective (happens more than you'd think), or is the blade warped, or some of the above, or all of the above? It took forever to get it all worked out. (The final solution was to make flower vases of the boots and get another pair. They were torqued, unbalanced crap.) If I'd only switched boots, it would have been much easier to troubleshoot problems.

Of course, some people want to go through the agony of The Switch only once.

NoVa Sk8r
07-24-2004, 02:51 PM
That's normal for us - you get one minute longer than the length of your program, so a 2.5-3 minute warm-up is normal. I don't even know how to handle a six-minute warm-up, finding it much harder!

Seriously, see that you are thoroughly warmed up off-ice so that when you get on you don't have to skate for long before you can run through the elements you need to warm up. And maybe, if you work that way, do a mental warm-up together.

I'm used to the normal 6-minute warm-up that USFSA dictates (or am I wrong about USFSA mandating a 6-minute warm-up?). Luckily, I will be skating my freestyle program an hour earlier, so only Loops (the strongest link in this pair team :) ) has to warm up. We have a few stall tactics planned. Also, the schedule lists 15 minutes for 2 pair teams with a 3-minute warm-up. Uh, that's 12 minutes for 2 teams to do a 2:40 program. I think they could have adjusted to give more warm-up time. But every event (from no test thru senior) gets either 2 or 3 minutes. So I'm happy to see it's not a "we're-short-on-time-let's-screw-the-adults" type of deal.

We've also gotten into the habit of arriving at the rink, doing off-ice exercises, putting our skates on, leaving off our gloves and sweatshirts, and stepping onto the ice as if it were game day. But cutting our warm-up in half makes it a different game altogether. We'll manage; it's not like we're doing star lifts or impossible death spirals (don't get any funny ideas there, partner).

jazzpants
07-24-2004, 03:15 PM
Loop^2 and NoVa Sk8r: So jealous you got to see Yoshie Onda... :P Good luck to you two in a couple of weeks! :mrgreen:

Sparkling:
Not much... except to say the rest of my moves are fine... well, what I could practice anyway...

Shabby:
Couldn't practice forward power 3's in its entirety b/c I was at a public session and it was PACKED!!! In addition to the general public session group, I had at least 3 really good skaters I had to compete again for space. Two of them are Junior level skaters and I don't know the other one, but she has all her singles at least and a really good hydroblade!!! (Man! I want speed like THAT!!!) Kinda hard to push yourself on speed and power when you keep getting stopped by other skaters who are in your way... :frus:

skaternum
07-24-2004, 04:22 PM
We'll manage; it's not like we're doing star lifts or impossible death spirals (don't get any funny ideas there, partner).

Aren't all death spirals impossible? :lol: They are for us!

NoVa Sk8r
07-24-2004, 06:48 PM
Aren't all death spirals impossible? :lol: They are for us!

Yes, indeed. But we had a revelatory experience on Friday. Though Loops is far braver in this move than I am. I wish I had more compunction bailing out of the move and letting her splat on the ice. :)

But she insists on learning it, come what may. Maybe I'll call it the death-wish spiral. 8-)

jazzpants
07-24-2004, 08:23 PM
Shabby:

No motivation to skate or do much else. i had a raging headache coming into the rink. No change from last week on the power 3's.
Forward power 3's are okay but I could do a lot better. I just don't have it in me to push myself today. Maybe getting some sleep tonight will help. But I'm definitely SICK of working on the Bronze Moves and I hope one of these days I'll pass the $#&*@ test!!! :x
And did I mention the test is NEXT WEEKEND!?!?!?! 8O 8O 8O
Being that this was a public session, I had to dodge quite a few rugrats who were skating ALL OVER THE PLACE!!! Nearly killed on doing back crossovers at the ends of the rink. And yes, I WAS looking behind me!!! I had to abort most of my moves instead of skating thru the entire moves!!! And where are the parents? Out chasing the rugrats on the ice, that's where!!!! :x :evil:
5 step mohawk went funky today! Weird... :??

Sparkling:

I got in some good practice on forward power 3's...
Someone commented that I look really good out on the ice. Of course, my thinking is that if you're skating in a public session, chances are good that you're gonna look better than the majority of the skaters. :P Nevertheless, I appreciate the compliment!!! :mrgreen:
Said headache went away once I skated for about a half hour!!! :D

luna_skater
07-24-2004, 11:27 PM
Sparkling: I passed my Junior Silver Skills!!! This is by far the most challenging test I've taken so far; I feel more excited about this than getting my gold dances! All of my loops were there. They weren't textbook, but they showed up! I had one of those weird moments where I pitched forward on one of the forward sculls, which I have NEVER done before. Judge had good comments about my spirals, which was nice because they have never been very strong for me. I got a little excited about the flying choctaws and was going so fast I ran out of room and almost creamed the boards. But I stayed standing, and was soooo happy to get that "pass" at the end of it all. I can't wait to start Sr. Silver on Monday!

Mrs Redboots
07-25-2004, 06:22 AM
Sparkling: I passed my Junior Silver Skills!!! Oh, I am so glad for you! Many congratulations!:bow: :bow:

NCSkater02
07-25-2004, 12:04 PM
This is for Saturday--(%^#$ DSL was down all day.

Sparkling: We worked on something kind of new in my private/group lesson--power 3s. I had forgotten how much fun they can be, even if they aren't good. I just like the way they feel. I just have to even them out. It seems like we focused on 3turns, because we did salchows after that. :roll: I did one that my coach laughed at because I did the 3turn at speed, then lost my momentum and did the jump in slo-mo. I told her it was so she could critique it. :lol:

Shabby: Not much--we laughed throught the lesson. We only did a couple of spins, but I couldn't get off the deep inside edge. I had to run errands and pick up my husband, so I didn't get to skate long as I wanted to, and the rink was empty!!

LoopLoop
07-25-2004, 03:26 PM
Yes, indeed. But we had a revelatory experience on Friday. Though Loops is far braver in this move than I am. I wish I had more compunction bailing out of the move and letting her splat on the ice. :)

But she insists on learning it, come what may. Maybe I'll call it the death-wish spiral. 8-)

Hey, I'm close to the ice anyway... I don't mind splatting from down there.

NoVa Sk8r
07-25-2004, 06:05 PM
Hey, I'm close to the ice anyway... I don't mind splatting from down there.

But that's not as much fun as me thinking that I get to pay you back for your tart tongue. (Of course, perhaps I deserve your invective and vituperation ;) )

Vim, vigor, and guts ... that' my Loops! :D

2 weeks till Hershey!!!

flo
07-26-2004, 08:49 AM
Hi,
The death spirals are my favorite. They do take lots of practice, and just going for it. Fortunately if you do splat, like loops said - you're close to the ground, and you also naturally bend at the waist at the first hint of a splat, so your butt hits and not your head. I think I really only hit my head once.
I prefer the forward inside over the back outsides. The thing I remember my coach telling us most is drop fast for a back outside, and slowly for a forward inside. Also keep the tension up between you two.
Have a great time!

NoVa Sk8r
07-26-2004, 09:16 AM
Also keep the tension up between you two.
Have a great time!

The tension is always very high. Oh, you mean in the arms! ;)

luna_skater
07-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Oops, posted in last week's practice thread by mistake!!

kisscid
07-27-2004, 03:11 PM
I'm running behind on answering this:
Sparkling...I finally did a (Only 1) spin that had a beautiful center. But at least I finally did it!

Shabby: Ack...my jumps are more like hops. I find that I'm not really bending my knees and I'm not getting any height. We worked my toe loop over and over and over and it still sucks. Heavy sigh!!
Cid