View Full Version : Interpretive or Competitive

newfieskates
07-16-2004, 01:00 PM
If you were just starting out skating and you had a chance to go into interprtive or competitive which one would you go in knowing what each one is like..Or if you had a chance to start over again. I know sometimes I feel really guilty but i feel like a rather do interpretive because it seems easier but i really do love skating competitivly. :)

flo
07-16-2004, 02:15 PM
Interpretive is competitive. I've done both, and I really have not found interpretive to be "easier" at all. I have found it much harder to do a do a really good interpretive program than a free program, and medaled in freestyle long before interpretive.

newfieskates
07-16-2004, 03:04 PM
O i didn't know interpretive has always been my favourtae solo to do. But I guess we all have different veiws. And i have never competed interpretive either just doing the solo without jumps is what i meant.

skaternum
07-16-2004, 03:08 PM
newfieskates,
I assume by "competitive" you mean "freeskate." ?? There's no event called "competitive." Flo is correct. In competitions, you can do a freeskating event, an interpretive event, or both. I do both, and find them both challenging in their own ways.

newfieskates
07-16-2004, 03:22 PM
yes i do mean freeskate. sorry for any confusion

NoVa Sk8r
07-16-2004, 03:23 PM
It seems to me that in the interpretive events, it's much harder to predict the placements; that is to say, it more depends on which judges you have. With that in mind, I think interpretive would mean more of the "I'm doing this program because I want to do nice choreography and be more expressive on the ice."
I feel that all the jumps in the freeskating events hampers my, um, inner swan. :) To wit: Pair partner is doing interpretive this year, and after watching her program (all interpretive numbers are 1 min 40 sec), I was saying to myself, "Wow, my freeskating program is missing so much!" But with 6 jumps/jump combinations (9 total jumps) and 3 spin/spin combinations, it's no wonder there's no time for moves like a nice, full-length spiral or spread eagle.

As already stated on this thread, interp is in no way easier than freeskating.

Newnia
07-16-2004, 03:37 PM
Yes I agree with most of the responses here. Also I find the same thing as the last post. When I skate in my solo and having all the jumps and spins in it I find my self rushing it sometimes and not finding enough time to actually do the artistic part which can sometimes break a tie. I think thats one thing that skaters overlook. But in my opinion I think interpretive may be easier but I would never want to compete in it just because I don't think i would do a good job.

sk8er1964
07-16-2004, 05:59 PM
I find interp to be far easier to compete mentally than freestyle. My interp has nothing in it that is technically challenging (mainly because I am not allowed to include anything over a lutz - and skip those because I don't like them ;) ). In comparison, my freestyle has jumps in it that are very technically challenging, and for me take away some of my ability to express the music. Interp, with it's easier technical content, doesn't limit that part of my skating. (BTW, this is a problem I am working to overcome, because there shouldn't be a difference, no matter the harder elements.)

Mrs Redboots
07-17-2004, 05:40 AM
In many ways Interpretive is far harder than artistic, as you have to stay "in character" throughout the whole programme, even while you are jumping and spinning. On the other hand, you don't need to be great technically to place highly, or even win - it does depend, very much, on what the judges like on the day. Mind you, a programme that has good technical content and is skated well is always going to place highly as long as the skater also tells a story and remains in character throughout.

I am a very poor skater, so I only ever do do interpretive (other than dance, of course), and have only once done well here; in France, however, competing under American rules, I have done very well indeed! So "Go figure", as they say....

And if I were your coach, I'd make you do both! AND dance, too.

flo
07-19-2004, 09:31 AM
I agree, there's so much required-suggested stuff for the freestyle programs, that there's little room for skating! I like the interpretive because it's all yours to make what you wish. Mine are usually filled with lots of edges and choreography. Since my free programs don't have an axel, and can't do double sals in silver my jumps in interpretive are the same level as freestyle.
Newfieskates - give interpretive a try and see if you like it!