View Full Version : Feeling Lazy about jumps in solos?

newfieskates
07-16-2004, 12:58 PM
When I go to do my solo often times I feel like I want to do my solo with just singles when i should be doing all my doubles. Am I the only one who feels this way or can somebody help me so i don't feel this way?
Thanks

Newnia
07-16-2004, 03:44 PM
I think you may have a lack of self confidence or you may be scared that you won't land the jumps. Try to build you self confidence up, and build you consistancey level higher if it isnt already high. It may make a difference.

sk8er1964
07-16-2004, 05:54 PM
newfie, I get that way too (not that I have a whole lot of doubles - just one - but I'll waltz the axel too). So, what I do is make myself do it with the full jumps once, then right after do it with the "singles", working on presentation and artistry. Forces me to do it with the jumps, but then lets me be lazy and focus on the other stuff without worrying about the jumps. Good for endurance, too. 8-)

newfieskates
07-20-2004, 03:53 PM
Thats sounds good I'll try that. Thanks!

Any other suggestions anyone?

CanAmSk8ter
07-20-2004, 04:03 PM
Honestly, I think this has to come from inside you. Do you want to be able to do your program with the doubles when it counts, i.e. in competition or in shows? Of course you do! But if you want that to happen, you have to put in the work. Your coach can't do it for you, your mom and dad can't do it for you, it's your responsibility to get out there and put in the work when you practice. Remind yourself why you want to be capable of doing the program with doubles, and remember that's it's not going to happen if you don't practice it that way.

I've been there too- I have lists of exercises that I'm supposed to do on the ice each day that my coach says will help my dances, and, quite frankly, some of them are a pain in the neck. Sometimes I don't totally see the connection between the exercise I'm doing and what the exercise is supposed to help with, which makes it really hard to make myself do them! But I remind myself that I have to get this dance ready for a competition, or to test, and that my coach thinks this is the way to do it. I know if I don't practice the way I'm supposed to, I can't expect the results I want, and it'll be my own fault.

newfieskates
07-20-2004, 04:05 PM
Good point. That makes perfect sence!

skater_girl8
07-20-2004, 04:37 PM
Well..... sammi.... you no me!!! im ALWAYS lazy.....psycic??? lol

mskater
07-21-2004, 11:46 AM
I think we should start a support group for people like us:] I know I need to practice my program with all the doubles in it but I just can't seem to make myself go for every single one of them. It's like my brain is telling me "this is not the competition so why strain yourself"? Very frustrating! Seems to be a chronic problem for me:(