View Full Version : How do you know when to give up?

Purpuddled
07-16-2004, 07:04 AM
When does a male skater stop trying to be competative? The end of the high school years are rapidly approaching so it seems like crunch time for decisions.

Elsy2
07-16-2004, 09:51 AM
That is a very personal decision. Hard to say not knowing what your plans are for college and what opportunities to skate you will have. At our club many skaters going off to college test out in their senior year. Some of them start coaching as Jr. coaches for group lessons and do some privates too.
What level are you competing at? Just curious....

Purpuddled
07-16-2004, 10:17 AM
Novice Level

Elsy2
07-16-2004, 11:00 AM
Being Novice level, I'm sure your very capable of testing out if you wish. It takes some effort to get a new program for the higher levels and maintain your pace through a longer program.

If you aren't sure you want to stop competing, you can at least pass Junor and Senior moves in the meantime so that you are ready to pass the freeskates when you decide to.

Mrs Redboots
07-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Why not wait until you are at College, and find out what your time-table is, and so on, to see whether it's still feasible for you to skate competitively? You may even be able to teach a bit to help keep wolf and door apart, you never know. Even if you can't skate competitively, don't drop the sport altogether - skate when you can, have fun with it, and don't forget there's the wonderful world of adult skating that awaits.... we need more people who skated at your level to stay with the sport.

But whatever else happens, enjoy your years at College!

kgl2
07-16-2004, 08:28 PM
I've seen quite a number of college students try to maintain their skills and test up, but it seems with college, there are so many other prioriteis and stressors that very little progress is made. I'd advise any high school senior to test up as fast as possible, and take the first semester of college off from sakting. Then if you still want to skate, decide what you really will be able to commit to: testing or recreational skating. And make sure your coach is supportive of your goals. It would be a shame to compromise a college experience if your goals in skating are not clear and achievable.

jp1andOnly
07-16-2004, 08:42 PM
my brother was a competitive skater and he finally retired and headed off with Disney on Ice at age 23. My parents kept him in high school an extra year for various reasons and then he attempted a college schedule with skating. Didn't work so they all made a decision to postpone college until he was ready (he wasn't ready to attend classes. It wouldn't have made a difference if he was skating or not)

My parents always told my brother that when he wantd to stop he could and that they would support him until he made that decision

My brother had a part time job (very flexible) to pay for his spending money but my parents paid for everything else

Purpuddled
07-16-2004, 09:23 PM
Was he happy doing Disney on Ice? It is something I have considered but I have no idea what the payscale looks like - would I be able to support myself and save money for college after Disney?

jp1andOnly
07-16-2004, 10:39 PM
He is currently doing it and he is on the Asian tour right now and will begin the South American tour in the fall. He enjoys it and the overseas tours pay a bit more than US. Basically he will break even and end up with a bit saved because he does more than just a chorus member

I don't know if you will like it or not..thats for you to decide. And how much you make is up to you as well. Chorus members get a base salary. You can save by bascially doing extra tasks, like set up, to earn money. You can also save by not going out too many times for your meals, buying things, etc. But no, I wouldn't count on saving $10,000 or anything. People go for the experience, not to make money.

Many skaters coach on the side to make extra money. Some also take one course at a time to continue their studies. Distance ed courses work great as well.

YOU have to decide what you want to do. You have to reach into yourself and decide if competing is still what you want to do. For my brother, he had enough. He accomplished his goals. That competitive year he heard how other skaters were skating and he kinda wished he stayed in it, but he said he had enough. He's having a blast with Disney and seeing parts of the world he would never have the chanceto see

Was he happy doing Disney on Ice? It is something I have considered but I have no idea what the payscale looks like - would I be able to support myself and save money for college after Disney?

fadedstardust
07-17-2004, 01:49 AM
You stop being competitive when skating stops being your number one priority, because there are plenty of kids not going to college and not going to parties or doing anything other than skate really. There's no way to materially keep up with kids practicing 4 hrs a day 6 days a week if you aren't on a similar schedule, so it's up to you and what you want to do. Has little to do with age- Michael Weiss isn't a skater I enjoy, but he's still placing high at age 27. Especially for men, you can be older and still compete at an elite level if your commitment is there. Just don't expect to be able to go to college and THEN come back to skating at the Novice and up levels.

As far as Disney on Ice, you'll probably like it if your favorite part of competions are exhibitions and expressing yourself through your programs. However, if you, like me, are hungry for the podium and thrive on striving to beat everyone else in your level, then it probably won't curb your competitive spirit and may not be your cup of tea.

If you want to keep competing and have the money and the support of your parents to hold off college a while, I'd do it (...actually I AM doing it, hah). If however you feel that for you, school comes first, then you've got your answer. It's just not possible to do both full time at the same time. You might also consider light college schedules- like Michelle Kwan. Depends on where your heart lies. Good luck!

Chico
07-17-2004, 11:30 PM
As an adult skater and one who has no desire to compete I can only give you my opinion. My feelings are that you should persue college. Once yours, your education will be yours forever. You grow as a person and open many doors for your future. Saying that, persue your skating dreams while your young. Disney on Ice most likely will only happen now. Skating for the sake of skating can be yours for a lifetime. Maybe not at the level your skating now, but the pleasure might be even better. Coaching is a great way to earn an income while in school. Coaching could be a good career. Saying that, go to school too. Keep your options open.

Chico

fadedstardust
07-18-2004, 03:48 AM
As an adult skater and one who has no desire to compete I can only give you my opinion. My feelings are that you should persue college. Once yours, your education will be yours forever. You grow as a person and open many doors for your future. Saying that, persue your skating dreams while your young. Disney on Ice most likely will only happen now. Skating for the sake of skating can be yours for a lifetime. Maybe not at the level your skating now, but the pleasure might be even better. Coaching is a great way to earn an income while in school. Coaching could be a good career. Saying that, go to school too. Keep your options open.

Chico

While I think your opinion is great because it gives the complete other end of the spectrum to mine, I'd just like to point out that if the money (or sponsor) and parental approval is there, then education can happen anytime. It's VERY important if you want to be in a professional field (not so much if you want to be an entertainer, not everyone is built to go to school and become a professional), but the great thing about school is that just like skating, some people can start later than others, and still accomplish a great deal. The up-side about starting school later is that there is more dedication and maturity and less inclination to party and stay out til 3am and miss a test the next morning. You are truly there because you want to learn or want to graduate, and not because your parents/friends/guidance counselors want you to be there. And another upside is that if the grades are satisfactory, EVERYONE walks out with a diploma, regardless of age.

I think going to school is obviously a good thing if you are pursueing a professional field, as I said. But it will be beneficial at any age, and at any age, you can get the SAME degree. Not true with skating. If he plans on going back to skating anyway, then it's a waste (of money and years of practice since he's already a Novice and thus doing triple jumps) to quit, earn a diploma, and then skate again. Might as well skate, see if it earns you any money in either high level comps or shows, and THEN if that doesn't work go for the back up plan. This is assuming skating is this person's first choice of career. :) Obviously, even if you earn good money as a skater, the option to go to school later on is still there, that's the great thing about college. If that's the case you wouldn't even have to take out a loan to go, which is a plus. Hah.

Chico
07-18-2004, 11:22 PM
I don't disagree with you either. Still, my experience is that many folks who put off school don't go. Life can get in the way. (bills, parenthood, etc.) Yep, when your mature you tend to make wiser choices at school. (drinking, studying, etc.) Maturity does come making some stupid choices in this department however. Life persuades you to smarten up. Or, most likely kicks you in the backside. =-) Like I said, persue Disney on Ice now when your young. Many life experiences will be gained too. And, your skating dreams can be reached. When possible, dreams should be reached for. Getting older is a new ball game, and difficult choices need to be made. Getting older is a pain. =-)

Chico

twokidsskatemom
07-19-2004, 01:27 AM
While I think your opinion is great because it gives the complete other end of the spectrum to mine, I'd just like to point out that if the money (or sponsor) and parental approval is there, then education can happen anytime. It's VERY important if you want to be in a professional field (not so much if you want to be an entertainer, not everyone is built to go to school and become a professional), but the great thing about school is that just like skating, some people can start later than others, and still accomplish a great deal. The up-side about starting school later is that there is more dedication and maturity and less inclination to party and stay out til 3am and miss a test the next morning. You are truly there because you want to learn or want to graduate, and not because your parents/friends/guidance counselors want you to be there. And another upside is that if the grades are satisfactory, EVERYONE walks out with a diploma, regardless of age.

I think going to school is obviously a good thing if you are pursueing a professional field, as I said. But it will be beneficial at any age, and at any age, you can get the SAME degree. Not true with skating. If he plans on going back to skating anyway, then it's a waste (of money and years of practice since he's already a Novice and thus doing triple jumps) to quit, earn a diploma, and then skate again. Might as well skate, see if it earns you any money in either high level comps or shows, and THEN if that doesn't work go for the back up plan. This is assuming skating is this person's first choice of career. :) Obviously, even if you earn good money as a skater, the option to go to school later on is still there, that's the great thing about college. If that's the case you wouldn't even have to take out a loan to go, which is a plus. Hah.
oh My i agree with you :P :P
You can do school at any time.

Mrs Redboots
07-19-2004, 10:12 AM
Still, my experience is that many folks who put off school don't go. So? That usually just means that further education wasn't right for that individual. Here in the UK it is the norm to take a year off between school (i.e. High School, in your terminology) and university, to travel, or work, or just do something different - some skaters, for instance, might do a year in a show, why not? Almost all of them do come back at the end of the year and start their degree course, a year older and infinitely more mature than their cohorts who were schoolchildren only three months earlier! My own girl spent nine months in Switzerland working as an "au pair" (and, incidentally, introducing the daughter of the house to the joys of skating!), and then used part of her savings to travel in the US for a few weeks.

Getting older is a pain. =-)Now there I totally agree with you!

MQSeries
07-19-2004, 10:42 AM
Still, my experience is that many folks who put off school don't go.

So? That usually just means that further education wasn't right for that individual.

What Chico said has validity, depending on the individual's situation. If you have a supportive family and friends and can afford to take some time off from college then great, go for it. I would've love to had done that, because looking back at my college years, I definitely wasn't ready for it. However, if you go right from high school into real adult responsibilities like paying for your own place, getting a job, buying a car, paying bills, having your own family, etc., and you don't have your family support, then yes you can be so weigh down by those responsibilities that you won't or will not make the time to go back to school.

Integrity
07-19-2004, 12:56 PM
However, if you go right from high school into real adult responsibilities like paying for your own place, getting a job, buying a car, paying bills, having your own family, etc., and you don't have your family support, then yes you can be so weigh down by those responsibilities that you won't or will not make the time to go back to school.
I don't post much, but I'd like to chime in on this one.....go for the skating, put off school if you feel that you'd really like to continue skating.

I did not go to college immediately following high school. When I decided to pursue my degree I did not have the support of my parents. I worked a 40 hour week and went to school almost full time (took 5 years to get my BS). I was able to graduate with honors. I also completed my graduate degree in the same fashion....and skated with a competitive adult synch team in addition.

One regret I have is not skating after high school and during college. I realize that not everyone has the energy to "do it all" but if I could do it again, I would have continued to skate.

Chico
07-19-2004, 11:21 PM
Well, I'm glad someone agrees with me! Look if skating is a dream, Disney On Ice, go for it. I think, my opinion, that an education IS important. Education does help us grow, teaches us how little we really know, and supports us to obtain our career choices. Unless you have supportive people to aid you in starting your education later it IS difficult. Supporting yourself and a family isn't easy while going to school. Sure folks do it, but it isn't easy to say the least. I've seen more than a few kids persue skating to such an extent they forget the other "parts" of life. Many coaches I have spoken with say they wished they had persued an education young in life. One gal put it this way, "There's more to life than just skating." I'm just saying to enjoy skating, persue your dreams, but keep education a priority. Be realistic too........SOMETIMES what we put off doesn't happen. Think, just think, about what you really want and go for it. Nomatter what it is.

Chico

fadedstardust
07-20-2004, 01:23 AM
I think Disney on Ice is great, but I think this person is trying to figure out whether or not to quit competitive skating, which is a whole different ballgame because it doesn't pay unless you win and there's a whole lot more training and out of pocked travel involved. I think Disney on Ice is good too, but I just want to specify to the person who asked the question that in my answers motivating you to keep going if it is your dream, I meant competitions, too. There's ALSO plenty (not as much as college, obviously, but at least 3-5 more years) of time to do Disney on Ice. Competition is pretty much now. If you feel you've had enough, then you have. But if you haven't had enough, then that craving will pop back up later, and if you are eyeing the elite ranks, then by the time you get your skates out again, it may, this time, be too late. So think twice. It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do, and you're already high-level, so, what's the rush in quitting? :)

I like this conversation, by the way. I'm enjoying reading everyone's points of view.

Isk8NYC
07-20-2004, 10:04 AM
When does a male skater stop trying to be competative? The end of the high school years are rapidly approaching so it seems like crunch time for decisions.
You don't ever have to stop being competitive. You can just change your focus and make time for more important things. Everyone's priorities shift at times during their lives. You need to choose what your priorities are going to be in the coming years.

The End of High School is just an opportunity to skate differently. The suggestions about shows, etc. are good. (BTW, cruise lines and resorts often offer summer contracts if you want a short-term trial of that lifestyle.)

Let's say you want to go on to College. There are collegiate skating clubs, precision teams, and other fun things you can do and remain competitive. Trying to break into the majors while going to school is tough. You'll need to work out a school schedule that won't overwhelm you while you keep working on skating.

If you're feeling burned out by competing, don't. You can still skate. You can volunteer at clubs and competitions. You can teach or coach. You can do "just for fun" competitions and shows. If you really enjoy skating, there are ways to make it part of your life without it being the main focus.

Money is always an issue. There are some scholarships and training funds for competitive skaters. Unfortunately, skating isn't an NCAA sport, so there aren't big sports scholarships in the vein that football and basketball provides.

Talk it over with your parents and College Advisor. Good luck!

Chico
07-20-2004, 10:28 PM
fadedstardust,

I agree that I would rather regret what I DID than I DIDN'T. But, there are some mistakes that are so damaging that you live with them for a lifetime. The parent in me says, always think, think, think! And then, think some more!

Chico

fadedstardust
07-21-2004, 12:02 AM
fadedstardust,

I agree that I would rather regret what I DID than I DIDN'T. But, there are some mistakes that are so damaging that you live with them for a lifetime. The parent in me says, always think, think, think! And then, think some more!

Chico

Completely agree, Chico. And I think the fact that this person is questioning what to do predicts there are many days of thinking ahead before a decision is reached. But at least whatever it is, it will be a pre-medited, thought-out decision. I hope everything goes well for you, purpuddled. Good luck!

Elsy2
07-21-2004, 08:55 AM
I wanted to mention that I believe there was a senior level competitive skater that returned to skating via Adult Nationals in Lake Placid this year.
The guys in Masters level competition seem to have a great time.

So if your life takes you away from skating for a few years, at age 25 you can join this group of competitive skaters and still enjoy competition for the fun of it. If you think it won't be competitive, I can tell you your gonna need a triple to take the top spot.....the interpretive numbers at this level are pretty incredible too. So if it's performance time you are after, the opportunity is there.

pinkjellybean
07-21-2004, 10:41 AM
I skated through my first year of university and it was by far the hardest year of school I've gone through but I still skated. My advice is that you can do it if you want to. If skating is still something you love to do it is possible to do both. I had an insane trip to get to the rink, somedays I would have to walk an hour to the mall to catch a bus home when no busses ran in the middle of the day... it wasn't fun carrying my skate bag down a road without a sidewalk in a city that's in a snowbelt but I wanted to skate so I did it. I still love to skate so it was a really good way for me to balance all of the work that went a long with school.

School is going to take up a lot of your time, it's going to be completely different from highschool but it's possible to do both. I ended up switching my skating schedule around after I tried it out so it was all daytime ice because some day ice with some evening ice wasn't working as well. But my coach is awesome and that helped a ton as well, I was a little reluctant to start with someone new but it's worked out really well! I'm not skating right now because I had some surgery for an injury but I'm getting in coaching hours and my coach couldn't have been more helpful.

I guess I would say to go for it! As other have suggested try and test up as far as you can before you leave highschool. In highschool I would never dream of missing a practice but sometimes with university I had to learn to be open to switching sessions.

skatingatty
07-21-2004, 07:06 PM
I don't have much else to add to what people have already stated, but I'd recommend reading All the Sundays Yet to Come by Kathryn Bertine. It's a really informative autobiographical account of the writer's skating career. She has a wry, sarcastic way of telling the story of how she never made it to nationals but ended up as a professional skater with Hollywood on Ice in S. America (forced to wear humiliating costumes and constantly criticized about her weight). She wasn't accepted by Disney on Ice because the person in charge claimed she was too fat. She did get accepted by Ice Capades, but she put it off to go to college, and when she graduated, Ice Capades went bankrupt. This is a great book, and I got a copy for my coach too. Maybe someone's selling it now on half.com.

Mrs Redboots
07-22-2004, 04:14 AM
So if your life takes you away from skating for a few years, at age 25 you can join this group of competitive skaters and still enjoy competition for the fun of it. If you think it won't be competitive, I can tell you your gonna need a triple to take the top spot.....the interpretive numbers at this level are pretty incredible too. So if it's performance time you are after, the opportunity is there.The British Solo Dance Championships (http://www.iceskating.org.uk/dance/events.cfm) are being held in the UK this weekend; among the competitors are no fewer than three adult skaters, one of whom is well into his 50s. He skated until he was 18, but never quite made it into the highest rankings, and gave up when he went to university, as so many young men do. Thirty years later, his youngest daughter began to skate and was hooked - so Daddy went back on the ice to keep her company, and now, four or five years later, Daddy is competing against the best in the land! And may very well win.

Then we have another adult woman dancer who is competing against the best in the land, too - and she didn't start skating until she was grown up. So it can be done! (The third adult is continuing her skating career and has already won at least one category in the Championships!)

butterfly
07-22-2004, 06:01 AM
Well, I'm glad someone agrees with me! Look if skating is a dream, Disney On Ice, go for it. I think, my opinion, that an education IS important. Education does help us grow, teaches us how little we really know, and supports us to obtain our career choices. Unless you have supportive people to aid you in starting your education later it IS difficult. Supporting yourself and a family isn't easy while going to school. Sure folks do it, but it isn't easy to say the least. I've seen more than a few kids persue skating to such an extent they forget the other "parts" of life. Many coaches I have spoken with say they wished they had persued an education young in life. One gal put it this way, "There's more to life than just skating." I'm just saying to enjoy skating, persue your dreams, but keep education a priority. Be realistic too........SOMETIMES what we put off doesn't happen. Think, just think, about what you really want and go for it. Nomatter what it is.

ChicoI totally agree with you! Kids out of high school can risk a year just flitting around and finding themselves, but it is a risk and in my opinion to become a part of the college culture is far better if in fact you are not making skating your career. Life does get in the way and you feel behind if you don't strike the education iron while it is hot. I know personally a national medalist who decided on college over skating (very hard) and cannot believe how the world has opened up. Skating is a tiny, tiny culture with no future in most cases.

Mrs Redboots
07-22-2004, 11:20 AM
I totally agree with you! Kids out of high school can risk a year just flitting around and finding themselves, but it is a risk and in my opinion to become a part of the college culture is far better if in fact you are not making skating your career. Life does get in the way and you feel behind if you don't strike the education iron while it is hot. I know personally a national medalist who decided on college over skating (very hard) and cannot believe how the world has opened up. Skating is a tiny, tiny culture with no future in most cases.Here, most universities actively encourage students to have taken a year off before going up; you are often more likely to be offered a place, especially for the younger ones, who will only just be 18. They would far rather you were 19. This is not true of all universities, but a majority. It has been shown, I understand, that students who have taken what is called a Gap Year are far less likely to drop out during their course than those who have not. Presumably because those who have found that a university degree isn't for them at this time of their life don't go, or withdraw their applications during the year.

As for skating being a "tiny culture with no future", it surely depends, very much, on what you want that future to be? If you mean national- and international-level skating, well, yes, obviously only a very few make it. But there is a huge network of skating clubs out there, of recreational skaters who do it for fun and exercise, and take pride in being the best they can be, and a huge network, too, of adult skaters competing at a national and international level against skaters of the same age and ability. Even I have 3 international gold medals to my credit, which is not something anybody would ever have believed.

peaches
07-22-2004, 11:51 AM
I don't post much, but I'd like to chime in on this one.....go for the skating, put off school if you feel that you'd really like to continue skating.

I agree. School can come later, *IF* that's what interests you.

I put off college for a year, then went but it wasn't the end all be all, and I didn't finish because I realized all I really wanted to do was be involved in skating... so I started coaching.

Do what's right for YOU. If you want to continue, and have the means to do so, go for it.

butterfly
07-22-2004, 12:29 PM
Here, most universities actively encourage students to have taken a year off before going up; you are often more likely to be offered a place, especially for the younger ones, who will only just be 18. They would far rather you were 19. This is not true of all universities, but a majority. It has been shown, I understand, that students who have taken what is called a Gap Year are far less likely to drop out during their course than those who have not. Presumably because those who have found that a university degree isn't for them at this time of their life don't go, or withdraw their applications during the year.

As for skating being a "tiny culture with no future", it surely depends, very much, on what you want that future to be? If you mean national- and international-level skating, well, yes, obviously only a very few make it. But there is a huge network of skating clubs out there, of recreational skaters who do it for fun and exercise, and take pride in being the best they can be, and a huge network, too, of adult skaters competing at a national and international level against skaters of the same age and ability. Even I have 3 international gold medals to my credit, which is not something anybody would ever have believed.I don't believe that going to a university ever eliminates you from skating or teaching or for fun and exercise. That seems pretty obvious to me. I am speaking of the major choice in life to either get on with the education that in today's world you require unless you don't need to earn money or the choice to stay in the figure skating cycle of 6 days a week stuck in a rink, putting together new programs, fittings for costumes, music and the endless competitions and expense. If you are a Sasha Cohen or Michelle Kwan then you have little choice. In my academic work environment you can't find anyone who knows the top figure skaters.....maybe Michelle Kwan. They may know what a double play is or a forward pass, and everyone certainly knows all the players in those sports, but you can't find anyone who really knows what a double axel is. Personally speaking, when we as a family were so totally immersed in the sport of figure skating it seemed the ONLY sport. We have learned since "our" star left the figure skating world for the educational world that perspective has returned and we have seen a happier, hopeful, young person who now participates in life full force; even meeting people other than skaters is now possible. Going to a university is more than just academics. It is broadening your horizons, discovery, meeting people and laughing. The coach our skater had didn't allow for any laughing, only hard work and criticism. It was a hard decision to make when you have devoted your entire life, save a few years, to the sport, but yes our skater has coached and taught here and there and has never regretted leaving the competition scene.

As far as 18 or 19 when you go to college, or if you take a year in between or not that is up to the individual, it may benefit some and may not others. Some 19 year olds are not mature and some 18 year olds are very mature.

RoaringSkates
07-23-2004, 09:55 AM
There's competitive, then there's competitive.

I think you need to decide your own personal goals for skating. What will make you happy? What will satisfy you?

If singles aren't working out (you aren't at a high enough level to satisfy your personal needs, perhaps, and see lots of obstacles to getting to the "right" level), then you could consider dance or pairs. Perhaps a good fit - consider synchro. There are lots of colleges with synchro skating teams right now, some of them varsity and they do compete. This might be a fun way to continue skating, to continue to achieve, and to actually skate at quite a high level within a different discipline.

There are ways to combine skating and college if you want to. You could go to a college with a rink and/or a team (UMass Amherst, U Delaware, etc.).

Other options: You can be serious about skating and make skating a career and yet still get a college degree. A few examples: Part time school, full time skating: Nancy Kerrigan, Michelle Kwan. Full time school, full time skating: Matt Savoie, Derrick Delmore, Paul Wylie. Full time school, part time skating: The vast majority of college-age skaters in the US! These people sometimes choose to make skating their career, sometimes not. They can coach, manage rinks, work with the USFSA as staff, manage skating schools, market skating tours...become orthopedic surgeons...doctors, lawyers, managers...all related to skating, but requiring a college degree or more.

CanuckSk8r
07-23-2004, 12:47 PM
My first reaction to your question is....... you know when to "give up" when the fire inside you has subsuded.

If you want to skate, then do it. Don't let anything stand in your way. If you want to see how far you can go, then do it. School can be worked around, take a few courses through distance ed, online, or very part time at a university/college. It's just my opinion, but the things you want to do can be done, it's up to you to find the balance. And it depends on had badly you want it.

If it's in your heart to skate, then skate. If it's not, then don't. Whatever your choice, do what will make you happy. It's easier to look back and say "hmmm, maybe I shouldn't have done that" rather than "man, I wish I did."

No regrets. Good luck!!!!!!

Bailey
07-24-2004, 11:38 AM
I agree with Canucksk8r... If you still love skating and you love competing, continue... I would offer that friends who have toured have shared that it is a fun life - the travel and the friends you make on tour - but it is a hard life. The pay is not great, you work HARD, and there is a lot of pressure.

My story... I quit skating as a teen when I suffered a serious back injury and skating just wasn't fun anymore. No regrets, I just couldn't do it anymore. I knew I was done because I couldn't drag my but to the rink for 6:00AM practices anymore!! But, I do regret that I didn't continue with the parts of skating that I enjoyed - finished my dances and in hindsight, continued with figures. I just couldn't be competitive anymore and in that time and with the culture of the club, if you couldn't do freeskate, you didn't skate... I wasn't able to stay away from the sport - I returned to skate precision in highschool. I stopped precision when I entered university because I thought it was time to 'grow-up' - go to school, find a career, get a job, etc.. But, I was miserable so I ended up coaching through university and it was wonderful!! Great way to work few hours, make lots of $$, and do something you love. I would offer the advice that if you do decide to attend university, it's nice to have a break from the stress and studying (whether that is training or coaching). I worked hard when I coached, but it was a pleasure to go to the rink after school and then I could go home and study with more interest. Now, I'm a professional and I'm no longer coaching. I skate for fun and continue to love my sport.

Whether you decide to continue, tour, coach or go to school - just take some time and don't stress about the decision. You will know what is right for you. And, it's not like it's set in stone - if you decide to tour you can do that for a year and if it's not right for you, you can return home to go to school. Life is full of twists and turns, that's what makes it fun!! Good luck with your decision...