View Full Version : How long do your boots last?

LWalsh
07-12-2004, 02:34 PM
The section in last month's skaitng magazine which commented "if your skates last more than one year they are likely too stiff" got me thinking a bit.

My Klingbeils are just two years old, and I don't think they show much breakdown. While I agree about not buying too stiff boots, I'm also an adult and weight more (considerably :roll: ) than a kid. I only skate 4 hours or so a week which also adds to the puzzle.

When I was in Lake Placid one year my coach there told me to unlace the top hook of my boots to allow for more bend. She said "because all you adults buy boots much too stiff". When I asked my coach about this at home. She said she always skates witht he top hook undone anyway because it allows you to bend better.

So how long do your boots last relative to how often you skate? Have you suffered injuries that could be attributed to overly stiff boots?

LWalsh

mikawendy
07-12-2004, 03:04 PM
You know, I was wondering about that article, too.

I bought boots a little less than a year ago, and they're definitely not breaking down. I don't like to have the top hook laced, but I find my heel moves if I don't (even when I've had small inserts put under the insole).

I faintly remember a skate pro at the pro shop I go to mentioning that my boots might last a year and a half at the amount I'm skating (also about 4 hours a week, sometimes much less).

I don't think I've had injuries from too-stiff boots. I have had knee tendonitis, but that was in my old, mushy boots. I do find that I have to relace several times just to get it right--often what feels like enough ankle/kneebend off ice is not enough when I step on the ice.

I wonder if amount of jumping has to do with boot life and some of us are jumping less than others whose boots wear out in a year? My pro said that the kind of boots I'm in would be supportive enough for landing all single jumps, but I'm not even close to working on an axel, and I have been focusing on moves and not jumping as much lately.

NickiT
07-12-2004, 04:36 PM
I've had my boots three years now and I'm hoping to get another year out of them. I can see that they are starting to go now though.

I guess it depends on a lot of factors - how often you skate and how long you skate, how heavy you land etc etc.

Nicki

AstarZ41
07-12-2004, 05:19 PM
I plan to keep my current skates for about 2 years, maybe longer, we'll see. I skate very lightly so my boots show no sign of breaking down even after a year of use. And they're not even high end skates, just Bronze Stars. ITA though that it depends on the skater's skating situation.

You know those coaches (usually) who have boots that are so scraped up there's no white leather left on them? They must have had them for a looong time. How do you get your skates so scraped on all sides anyways? I've often wondered that :?? :)

icedancer2
07-12-2004, 06:52 PM
I think the breakdown has something to do with how hard you land and how many revolutions you are doing and all of that kind of stuff.

I've had my boots for 14 years -- and although they are old and scuffed, they are great for dance, moves, figures, general skating, etc. I am only now considering getting new boots and I'm nervous because I know they are making them stiffer nowadays. Whenever I feel that my boots are starting to get a bit soft, I polish them and put new cotton laces on, which helps enormously!!

I think those articles are mostly geared towards the young up and coming freestyle or pairs skaters -- not adults -- but then again, all boots are not created equal -- just as all skaters are not created equal (in other words, every skater/pair of boots/skating situation/comfort level, etc.) is different. I see people getting rid of perfectly good boots that I would feel comfortable in, and then I see my coach and wonder how on earth she skates on those things -- with no edge left to ehr blade, but she is fine...

dbny
07-12-2004, 07:16 PM
That article was definitley for competitive skaters. I wouldn't give it a second thought. I don't jump and I expect my Klingbeils to last me the rest of my life. Don was impressed with my degree of knee bend that I got right away, and I've never had a problem, although I didn't lace the side hook for about a year.

Michigansk8er
07-12-2004, 07:21 PM
I definitely think it depends on a lot of factors..............such as your level, how often you skate and with what intensity. I would guess weight would also factor in. I'm adult silver. My Klingbeils lasted a year, Grafs lasted about 10 months and my SPTeri's are over 2 years (but I really haven't skated intensively in the last 2 years either...........I've been off the ice at least a year of it). I was skating 2 sessions a day, 5 or 6 days a week to but that kind of wear and tear on my boots.

I can tell when I need new boots by the amount of support, heel snugness, creases, etc. My jumps are the first to notice.

IceDancer2:

Good luck on new boots. It's difficult to take that step, and then decide where to go with it. I initially got back on the ice in 20 year old custom Harlicks. I thought they were great and even worked through single flip in them. My coach strongly suggested I needed new boots. I'm glad I did. What an amazing difference. After a few months in my new boots I tried to skate a public skate in the old ones (I loaned my new ones to one of my high school team kids to try out). I could barely move in them. I have no clue how I was doing what I was in those old things. Boots have definitely changed some over the years, but I'm sure you can find something comparable to what you have. I found both Klingbeil and Graf to be a cinch to break in. As for my current SPTeri's...........total nightmare. Let us know what you decide to do.

Beccapoo2003
07-12-2004, 09:21 PM
You can request a softer leather which I think for us old farts is a good idea. I found that with the stiff leather my ankles got SO WEAK and beat up. :cry: Plus, I couldn't bend my knees. We're not as resiliant as the kids who are SMALL and can heal from boot problems so much more easily! USH! :frus: BTW, my boots barely make it a year, and I usually reorder when the heel starts to come off or something, 'cause I like 'em to feel all comfy like hiking boots, but I'm really hard on 'em! Oh well, I guess everyone is different and you have to find out what's best for you!
Happy skating!
Becca from Alabama

TashaKat
07-13-2004, 12:39 AM
You know those coaches (usually) who have boots that are so scraped up there's no white leather left on them? They must have had them for a looong time. How do you get your skates so scraped on all sides anyways? I've often wondered that :?? :)

You'll also see some dancers with the same 'effect'. It's generally caused (for coaches) by teaching beginners or dancing with their pupils who scrape their skates, bash their skates ...... With dancers it can be in close footwork when they bash your skates, scrape your skates ......! I actually had a TOEPICK mark on the outside of my boots from my ex-dance partner 8O

I generally have Free boots (Harlicks super concrete) for up to 3 years but they are then consigned to being Dance boots which last much longer :)

When I was trying out Risport, Wifa & Belati's some of them didn't even last a year (Risport were shot in about 3 months .... hated the damn things).

The only injuries I've had from boots have been from Belati's (crippled me and then died), Risports (bumps, abrasions and burst blood vessel in foot, extra heel, before dying) and Wifa Diamond (LIKED the Super Goldstar for dance but the Diamonds were horrendous on the ankle bones AND didn't feel supportive enough for me for Free .... which is why I bought them :roll: ).

Since I've had Harlicks (Concrete, Duo Concrete and Double Duo Concrete) I haven't had a single problem apart from the front bits of the top rubbing for a couple of days initially. Even after 2 years off going back into the Double Duo's was comfortable.

luna_skater
07-13-2004, 01:49 AM
I've had my boots for 7 years, and would find it very hard to break in a new pair at this point!! My boots are Riedell Silver Stars. I got them in 1996 when I was doing only senior synchro three or four times per week. I continued using them for synchro and had them rebuilt in 2000. I started taking dance and skills in 2003 in the same pair of boots. I skated a few times last May and June, had July off, skated in August, then from Sept. to Feb. I skated synchro twice a week and dance/skills once or twice a week. In March and April I did dance/skills at least twice a week, and skated almost every day at the end of April. I was off until the end of May, skated one or two days a week in June, and am skating almost every day in July, still doing skills and dance. My skates should still hold up for quite a while longer. If I start doing some freeskate, then I may need to look at getting new boots for the extra support needed for jumps. But I don't realistically see myself doing competitive freeskate, or ever landing anything higher than a double.

Mrs Redboots
07-13-2004, 05:13 AM
I must have had my boots for about 5-6 years, and I have a feeling they're beginning to go. But I think I might put new laces in them, and see if that does the trick - even my laces are rather elderly!

One of our skaters now has S P Teri boots with the "magic patch" on them, to allow them to be made of softer leather. However, her sister's boyfriend had them, and apparently his patch snapped in half.....

sk8er1964
07-13-2004, 09:45 AM
I've had my Klingbeils for a year and 1/2, and it's beginning to look like it's time to replace them. I normally skate 6-7 hours a week, and am doing doubles.

I had to put a new insole in my left boot to keep my heal from slipping. My right ankle has started to turn over every once in a while on flips and lutzes. Plus, they just generally don't feel as secure as they used to. Sigh.

sk8er1964
07-13-2004, 09:47 AM

Some of those coaches (mine at least) use their old boots from their freestyle days to coach in. The scrapes and scratches might be from doing doubles. My right boot's toe is quite scraped up, while my left isn't. (My left has some interesting cuts on the inside - haven't figured out what those are from.)

MQSeries
07-13-2004, 10:20 AM

When you learn doubles and higher jumps, you will scratch your boot, especially the landing one, like crazy all over the places, and it doesn't take many years to do it either. I've come down a couple of times with my free blade right on top of my skating boot and I can feel it cut almost right through the leather.

flo
07-13-2004, 10:42 AM
I don't agree that if they last more than a year that they are too stiff. I didn't read the article, but if it was not stated, the time should have been given in actual skating hours or time and intensity.

luna_skater
07-13-2004, 11:00 AM
When you learn doubles and higher jumps, you will scratch your boot, especially the landing one, like crazy all over the places, and it doesn't take many years to do it either. I've come down a couple of times with my free blade right on top of my skating boot and I can feel it cut almost right through the leather.

My boots are also trashed, from synchro. I have loads of cuts, scrapes, and gouges out of the leather. Plus, there is the nice grey "drag spot" on the inside of my right boot. I've gotten a few nicks from dance, but the worst ones are from synchro. Battle scars...they add character! :D

StarshineXavier
07-13-2004, 11:30 AM
I got my boots, Risport Super Diamants, in June 2000, and they're entering their 5th season. I've done synchro and competitive freeskating in them, and they've held up nicely. They're approching their last stretch now, but they're incredibly comfortable and still provide me with a lot of support. Even though they're taped, they have a ton of war wounds from being stepped on, and kicked, but I love my skates so much!

RoaringSkates
07-13-2004, 03:31 PM
When I read that, I figured they must have been talking about someone who skates a lot more often than I do. I usually skate 1-2 hours per week, and my boots have lasted about 6 years. My coach tells me that I'll need new ones soon.

I do only tiny jumps, no doubles. Mostly free & MITF.

Mrs Redboots
07-14-2004, 06:28 AM
I did change my laces this morning, and it was a miracle! Apart from the fact my ankles hurt at first, but I loosened them a bit, and found I had far more support than of late.... moral is, don't keep your laces until they look like brown chewed string! :)

jenlyon60
07-14-2004, 07:09 AM
I've had my Klingbeils for almost 3 years... I skate an average of 3-5 hours a week, sometimes more. Dance and MIF only. They're starting to need a rebuild, but I may have to buy new boots because my feet are suffering from a combination of middle-age foot spread and the weight I've gained since I bought them. Not sure how much is from which cause.

lazenpa
07-14-2004, 07:15 AM
wish my daughter were you nice people. she goes through a pair almost every 3 months. its killing me. i need a fund raiser just for boots. i usually try to make her last 6 months though. blades last 2 skating seasons.

icedancer2
07-14-2004, 03:14 PM
I did change my laces this morning, and it was a miracle! Apart from the fact my ankles hurt at first, but I loosened them a bit, and found I had far more support than of late.... moral is, don't keep your laces until they look like brown chewed string! :)

I'm so glad this worked for you!!! :bow: :bow: :D 8-)

I was just thinking this morning that my boots felt kind of "loose" again -- time for new laces!!!!

But I will definitely be getting some new boots and will keep you guys posted. I am nervous but excited, too! Thinking right now of Harlick Dance boot with Ultima Dance blade -- if I get new blades...

Figuresk8_katie
07-15-2004, 11:09 PM
I find that the more jumping you do, the faster your boots break down...also the HARDER the jumps are = the HARDER you land = BREAK DOWN of boots. ;) ..... I had a pair of Risport Super Cristallos RF3s for 2 and a half years..working on singles as a 13-15 year old from about 120-140lbs. And the didn't start to breakdown until I started to land my axle often. Then this year I got Risport Super Diament RF2s...they're not breaking down very quickly at all...I've worn them for about 6 months now...skating about 7 hours per week. I've worked on my doubles, all my spins, interpretives, dances, etc. I find that the sturdyness of the boot helps me to stay straight on my takeoffs. I just make sure the top hook isn't done up very tightly and it allows for me to do everything I need to. Hope this answers everyone's questions :?? bye! good luck!
Katie :halo: