View Full Version : improving proprioception/muscle awareness on weaker side?

mikawendy
07-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Does anyone know of any on- or off-ice exercises for improving proprioception or muscle awareness/memory on one's weaker side?

I am much more confident on my right foot--I have much better centering, balance, and awareness of my center of gravity on that side. For example, my BO3s and my "backspin" ;) (both CCW) are better on that foot even though I skate CW. Also, spirals on my weak side (left) are shakier--I sometimes feel as if I'm not centered over my foot.

I know everyone is a little asymmetrical when it comes to side preference, etc., but I'm just wondering if there are ways to improve the weaker side. For me, I don't think it's an issue of blade placement, as I don't have trouble stroking or holding an inside or outside edge on the weaker foot.

MQSeries
07-09-2004, 05:04 PM
You can try doing leg exercise only on the weaker leg, or maybe work it twice as hard as your weaker leg. For example, you can do single leg squat, extension or curl only on your weaker leg.

vesperholly
07-09-2004, 06:21 PM
I have the reverse problem, I am much more secure on L foot regardless of rotation. I can do a better CW backspin than CCW (my usual rotation) because of L leg preference. I have been working extra hard on R turns and spirals and they have improved, though I don't think they will ever be as good as my stronger side.

Usually time and extra repetitions on the weak side are the only cure for this. I find that people usually practice what they're naturally good at more, so they master the skill quicker. For instance, I work on my LFO 3-turn every time I do a flip, so I would have to do twice as many RFO 3-turns in isolation to have equal strength.

dbny
07-09-2004, 07:47 PM
There is a very simple exercise for improving your balance, that I learned at the PSA conference. You can focus on your bad side to help equalize it. Do this whenever you are waiting for anything (elevator, in line, etc). Balance on one foot, lifting the other foot just a few inches off the ground. You will be surprised at how hard that is. My variation is to do it with bent knee, then with weight towards the ball of the foot, then with weight towards the heel of the foot. You should see fairly rapid improvement if you do it several times a day.

1lutz2klutz
07-09-2004, 08:56 PM
You can also try standing on the weaker leg with the stronger leg held in front of you just a few inches off the floor. Bend the stance leg enough to touch the toes of the lifted leg to the floor where the number 12 would be on the clock, then come up. Repeat to touch numbers 1-6, without leaning your body. Imagine that you have to balance a glass of champagne on the top of your head. Any position that would slosh the champagne is wrong. We do this in the clinic standing on a grid to measure balance. IF you want to make it even harder, do it with your eyes closed.

mikawendy
07-09-2004, 09:10 PM
Thank you all for the great ideas--I plan to put them in action tonight as I watch TV. :D