View Full Version : Does anyone have or have seen the ISU Instructional Videos?

JessicaLynn
07-08-2004, 12:27 AM
I am in group lessons one day a week and thus do a lot of skating on my own. I read books on skating skills, but I was thinking of buying some ISU videos to really understand the elements. (The "Spin" video particularly caught my interest).

My question is, are they worth it? With shipping it would be around $30 and I want it to be very helpful!

Thanks! :)

Here is the link to the videos.
http://shop.vsionline.net/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SkateTape&Category_Code=Instructional

mikawendy
07-08-2004, 03:43 PM
I was thinking of buying some ISU videos to really understand the elements. (The "Spin" video particularly caught my interest).

My question is, are they worth it? With shipping it would be around $30 and I want it to be very helpful!

I've never seen them. However, I have heard that the PSA also has videos (probably for instructors, but I'm not sure who can/can't order them). Anybody know? Debbie? DBNY?

batikat
07-08-2004, 05:41 PM
I've seen the jumps ones but not the spins one yet. They were quite interesting and did explain quite clearly the correct techniques although lots of the demonstrations were of multi-rotation jumps. They did usually show the diference between these and the singles but since I'm unlikely to get a multi-rotation jump ever I really only need an explanation of singles!! I find it hard to remember any of the tips long enough to actually use them at the rink though. What it does do is explain very clearly what edge etc you should be on and the correct arm and freeleg placements (and in some cases explains why different coaches have different views on what is and isn't correct). As an adult I found it quite interesting - it tells you the history of the jumps adn why they aare called what they are - but a lot of it went over the head of my 12 year old (the explanation of jump axis etc and the muscle groups) and she lost interest.

Perhaps you can find some other people who might be interested and buy a set between you which would lessen the cost.

dbny
07-08-2004, 09:05 PM
I haven't seen the ISU tapes, but I do have the PSA videos of Moves In The Field, and they are excellent. On the lower moves, there are a few small mistakes in the demos, but you might not even notice them, as the narrative is absolutely accurate. I found the tapes especially helpful on timing issues and modeling (that is, mentally modeling my own skating after the video demo). The videos include pattern placement diagrams, tips on teaching each element, and the required timing. There is probably more, but I haven't reviewed them for a while. The only caution is that the pace is very slow and so can be deadly boring. I just FF through what I am not interested in at the moment. My favorite moment in the two volumes is on the Senior Moves spiral pattern, when the narrator says "teach the Mohawk at the boards." Of course, it isn't an ordinary Mohawk of any kind at all, still the idea of teaching a senior level skater at the boards cracked me up.

skateflo
07-09-2004, 04:25 AM
I have all the ISU tapes and personally I did not find them all that helpful in my own skating - my coach does a much better job.

Depending on your level (you are in group once a week) they may be too advanced as they assume you know a lot of basics. If you are into exercise, they do a nice job in pointing out the muscles used for each and appropriate exercise (they repeat many of them throughout the tape, same exercise, different element.) The spin one was the most disappointing if you are just starting to spin---it assumes you are already spinning well on basic one foot spin.

The PSA tapes are better, certainly for MIF although they too have some minor mistakes.

Most instructional tapes like these assume you are already well advanced out of LTS. So it really depends of what your level of skating is at this point as to their value. But I also think if you are hooked on skating, at some point having them in your video library may prove helpful.

JessicaLynn
07-09-2004, 05:13 PM
Thanks everyone. I am currently in Freestyle 1 with ISI but cannot afford a coach or more lessons. I mostly skate for the sheer enjoyment of it (right now I have no plans to compete, but who knows what the future might hold!)

I have this thing with spins, I want to be an awesome spinner! I just learned (and finally managed to keep somewhat consistant) the two foot spin. I will start the one foot spin this week. So I thought the spins tape might be able to help me get ahead on my own with spins.

skateflo, if you are interested in selling your spin tape to me (since you think they aren't much help to you) PM me.

Again thanks! :)

kayskate
07-09-2004, 06:11 PM
Could someone fill me in on the content of the spin video. I am an advanced spinner and am looking for finishing touches and new ideas.

Kay