View Full Version : ice dance diagrams?

AstarZ41
07-05-2004, 06:26 PM
I just started taking ice dancing classes. So far I learned the Dutch waltz, a tango (not sure of the name) and something else (this dance has a move where you tuck one foot behind the other like MK did in FOG, anyone know the name?) So far I'm a little overwhelmed with the whole concept of dancing because its so different from freestyle. I had to realize that I can't just do as many crossovers as I want or put the wrong foot down or anything like that. I try to remember to do progressives instead of crossovers. I'm also supposed to count the beats of the music and I'm like uhhh? :?? I'm just trying to memorize the steps right now. So, I was wondering if there are any diagrams available online of these beginner dances. That would really help because I won't be so disoriented during practice! ;)

dbny
07-05-2004, 08:07 PM
Jeff Goldsmith's site (http://www.gg.caltech.edu/~jeff/#skating) has dance patterns.

dooobedooo
07-05-2004, 08:32 PM
Ask your coach for the name and address of your figure skating association. All the big associations (including the ISU) produce books of dance patterns costing a few dollars; one of the best is the USFSA book (www.usfsa.org) which contains all the US test dances. The UK book (www.iceskating.org.uk) contains a few local UK dances. The ISU book (www.isu.org) contains international dances (you won't be doing any of these for a year or two, they are harder!).

You can generally order by 'phone or fax with a credit card, or by post with a cheque or money order.

The patterns are much more detailed and better quality than what you can find on the internet.

icedancer2
07-05-2004, 11:37 PM
Just for your information, the two dances you described sound like the Canasta Tango and the Rhythm Blues.

And welcome to dance!! It's fun, and definitely gets better the more you do it! :)

luna_skater
07-06-2004, 12:07 AM
Ice-dance.com has all of the patterns: http://www.ice-dance.com

TXSKATER
07-06-2004, 07:25 AM
The PSA also has a book on the dance diagrams with notes on what the judges are looking at when they judge these dances (it's like having a cheat sheet so to speak and shows you were the "errors" can happen...). I use this all the time in my lessons as well as bring it to my dance class. Dance really is about pattern placement so it is very helpful. Good luck with your dances. I'm testing my dutch waltz and rhythm blues at the end of this month so I know what it's like trying to memorize the steps and then stay on time with the music...

AstarZ41
07-07-2004, 12:23 AM
Thanks, those links helped a lot! I'm really excited to learn more of ice dancing! I've always liked doing footwork and moves in the field more then jumps and spins (meh) because for me the way I skate around the rink is more important then what jump I can land. I think it looks really impressive when a skater is confident and has great edges. I'm more wowed by my FS coaches edges than his triples! He makes 3 turns look out of this world.