View Full Version : Skate San Francisco, 2004, Oct 28-31

jazzpants
07-03-2004, 01:39 PM
Come skate in San Francisco this Halloween weekend!!! This is one of our big competitions here locally!!!

http://www.scsf.org/skatesf/skatesf2004.html

HOLY COW!!! It's now FOUR DAYS instead of THREE!!! 8O 8O 8O No more 10:30pm competitions, huh? :P ;)

And yes, I have plans to compete again this year, though I don't know whether it'll be pre-Bronze FS or an Artistic event again! But you'll definitely get to see my new PURPLE boots!!! :mrgreen:

NoVa Sk8r
07-03-2004, 01:54 PM
Eek ... It's the same weekend as the Ice Works Halloween Classic in Aston, PA. :cry:

Mrs Redboots
07-04-2004, 09:59 AM
I'd love to - and I'm eligible, Mountain Cup competitors are specifically invited - but, sadly, can't afford it this year. Maybe if and when I have a job.... but I think my first competition in the USA will be the Atlanta Peach. Anyway, I think we're busy that weekend (October is filling up fast!).

Beccapoo2003
07-04-2004, 08:46 PM
C'mon over, Annabel! You can find the Peach Classic entry form on the Georgia FSC website http://www.gafsc.org/ Definitely fun!!!!!! :D :lol: 8-) :D
I look forward to seeing you!
Becca from Alabama

Mrs Redboots
07-05-2004, 02:54 AM
Not this year, Becca, not until I am earning some money to pay for it..... we did think about it a couple of years ago, but decided not until 2006 at the earliest, and probably not then if our dear daughter decides to Name the Day!

jazzpants
07-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Annabel: Me too on the $$$ constraint. I would love to go to Peach Classic and am dying to meet skaternum, Becca, et al... but given my situation (one income, hubby can't find a job at all given his thesis...) it's kinda hard to make ends meet as is.

At this year's Skate SF, I'm planning to do either last year's interpretative program this year again and/or my old 2001 pre-Bronze program this year (maybe adding on a flip somewhere in the program.) Since I rarely do either programs anyway... it makes sense to do them a good handful of times before retiring the programs anyway.

skatingatty
07-05-2004, 02:52 PM
Will the adult events be scheduled on Sat. and Sunday? I'd love to go to this competition (I lived in SF for a year after college), but I don't know if I'll be able to take 2 days off from work, if the adult portion of the competition takes place on Thurs. or Friday. Thanks for your response!

TreSk8sAZ
07-05-2004, 03:40 PM
I'd love to see San Fran again (I lived there many years ago) but there just aren't enough events to make it worth the money, time, and the LONG drive! Maybe if there was a freeskate AND young adult compulsory moves or solo dances, but just going for a freeskate doesn't seem worth it, since I don't have an artistic. Maybe when I have more money....

AshBugg44
07-06-2004, 01:18 AM
It's a good thing that they went to 4 days. Last year was nuts! Competition started early early and went until way late. I'd love to go, but chances are pretty slim because I'll be in college. Who knows right?

jazzpants
07-06-2004, 02:07 AM
Will the adult events be scheduled on Sat. and Sunday? I'd love to go to this competition (I lived in SF for a year after college), but I don't know if I'll be able to take 2 days off from work, if the adult portion of the competition takes place on Thurs. or Friday. Thanks for your response!I wish I know the schedule, but they don't usually post the schedule 'til at least a month before the event. The events have moved around a lot in the past two years ALONE!!! This year will probably be different too since we now are stretched over FOUR DAYS instead of last year's THREE... (When we started Skate SF, it was only two days...) I hope that at least no one will have to compete at 10:30pm like last year!!! (I competed at 10pm on a SUNDAY last year! Made going to work the next day interesting, though my coworkers were thrilled that I won silver.)

PattyP
07-06-2004, 03:11 PM
I will be there this year! This may be my first competition as a "Gold" skater 8O

jazzpants
07-07-2004, 12:21 AM
I will be there this year! This may be my first competition as a "Gold" skater 8OWHOOO HOOOOO!!!! You get to skate with the BIG GIRLS!!! :mrgreen: I'll make sure the ice is properly "blessed" for you!!! ;)

AshBugg44
07-07-2004, 02:19 AM
I was checking out the guidelines and what not, and I'd probably be competing Pre-Pre 3...but if I wanted to do young adult, I'd get screwed (I think)...because if I do Bronze then I can't do an axel, but to do silver, I have to have passed the preliminary freeskate, which I've yet to take. I dunno I'm so confused! lol

NoVa Sk8r
07-07-2004, 11:13 PM
I see in the announcement that this comp allows same-sex pairs skating ... very interesting.
Has anyone ever seen 2 guys or 2 ladies do a pair program?

Mrs Redboots
07-08-2004, 06:59 AM
I see in the announcement that this comp allows same-sex pairs skating ... very interesting.
Has anyone ever seen 2 guys or 2 ladies do a pair program?Not traditional pairs, but at the Bracknell Adult Open this year there was a class for what they called "Artistic Couples", and that included several same-sex couples. Robert and I skated our "Waltzing cat" routine and came (deservedly, probably) last, having skated just after the mother-daughter combination who made us all laugh with their rendition of "Hole in the Ground" (I've seen the mother do it a couple of times as a solo routine, and that made me laugh, and it was even better with her daughter as "The man in the bowler hat"). There were also a couple of Scottish women who do a fantastic 1920s routine ("We are going to get a new one next year, honest!") which I've seen several times and always loved, a pair of twins who were wonderful belly-dancers, and so on.

You can also do, although as it happens nobody did (then - they did at Team Challenge on the Sunday), what's called "shadow skating", where one skater follows the other exactly. I've seen this done by two young girls, and also, more memorably, by a Belgian mother and daughter who are the most superb skaters so you can imagine how wonderful their routine was. I remember that one of them (forget which) was dressed in a silver dress, and the other wore black.... sun and moon, or moon and night, forget which. It was about 5 years ago!

Terri C
07-08-2004, 05:54 PM
C'mon over, Annabel! You can find the Peach Classic entry form on the Georgia FSC website http://www.gafsc.org/ Definitely fun!!!!!! :D :lol: 8-) :D
I look forward to seeing you!
Becca from Alabama

So, Becca are you coming to Halloween Classic??? :idea: