View Full Version : Icy tests tomorrow, but...

Schmeck
06-30-2004, 05:43 PM
My daughter Icy tests tomorrow morning for pre-pre moves (needs pre moves too to do intermediate synchro this year 8O ) but...

She came home from the rink today and had a pounding headache.

Then she threw up.

Then she got the pounding headache back.

And her stomach still bothers her.

Swell...

I heard that there was a stomach bug going around the rink, and I think she caught it.

If she's still sick tomorrow morning, how do I go about cancelling her testing? I know I won't get the money back, and I still have to pay her coach because she had to cancel lessons to be there, but will it be awful to cancel the test? Will I be in trouble with the club for cancelling? There are plenty of other girls testing, it's not like it's only her, but is it a bad faux pas to pull out last minute?

Schmeck, with other worries right now, so I really didn't need this, sigh...

morganm
06-30-2004, 06:29 PM
The organizing club probably won't care - they've got their $$ and the judges are always happy to leave a few minutes early. If you have any doubts, you should cancel - it doesn't count against her and if she should not pass because she isn't well, you'll have to wait 4 weeks until she can try again. The deadline for synchro tests is December 1st, you have time but no sense in making it more stressful than it need be.

Schmeck
06-30-2004, 06:39 PM
morganm, didn't know about the four week rule - thank you!

She hasn't thrown up again, but she still has a headache. I'm giving her until 8:30 AM tomorrow. Hopefully with a good night's sleep she'll be OK.

Isk8NYC
06-30-2004, 08:50 PM
If you do decide to let her test tomorrow, could you please make sure she keeps her distance from others? I know you've got a lot on your mind right now, but you really don't want your daughter becoming "typhoid Icy." :oops:

BTW - Still praying for your little one ... hope all your little ones recover with flying colors!

dbny
06-30-2004, 09:46 PM
Many test sessions have skaters who will be allowed to take more than one test (e.g., FS following a MITF pass) if time permits. If Icy has to cancel, there will likely be someone who will be able to use the time. I'm hoping she is well by morning. Please let us know in either case.

Elsy2
06-30-2004, 10:16 PM
You will not be in any sort of trouble, or look badly, etc. for cancelling a test due to illness.
Just call the rink in the morning.

On a busy test session it is really not a big deal for a test to cancel. In fact it could be a relief to a test chair who has booked a very tight schedule.

At our club we will credit a skater who is ill or injured and cannot test. We allow them to test again within the same season.

A pre-preliminary moves test is usually scheduled to take 8 minutes. That won't change the schedule hardly at all. Don't worry!

Schmeck
07-01-2004, 06:20 AM
Everyone, thanks for all the info and support!

Isk8NYC, thanks for the reminder - you're right, in my panic I didn't think about the others, and not wanting to pass this bug around. On Monday someone told me this stomach bug was going around the rink, but Icy isn't really friendly with any of the other skaters, so I thought she would be safe. Wrong! Luckily, she's the first to skate,and we'll be leaving right after. I will warn the other parents tough, and tell Icy to stay away from other skaters.

Icy slept through the night, hopefully she'll be fine this morning.

Schmeck

Mrs Redboots
07-01-2004, 10:37 AM
And was she? And did she pass?

I, too, have a tummy upset today (only mild, but irritating, nevertheless), and am wondering if I should really go to Dance Club tonight.....

Schmeck
07-01-2004, 11:06 AM
She passed! But she didn't feel all that great, although she said her headache went away right before she skated. Then it came back right before we left the rink to go home. Hmm, maybe I should contract more ice time for her, since she seems to feel better when she's skating :lol:

She got back a review sheet from the judge. Boy, they really analyze the skaters, don't they! Very impressive! She's got to work on her inside edges, they're shallow. But her outside edges were fantastic, as was one of her spirals. Her perimeter stroking (coach considered this her weakest move) got rave reviews as well.

Funny part - she did the arm part backwards on her inside edges (maybe that's why they were shallow?) but the judge asked to to reskate the outside edges...

But the best news is she passed, no problem - now on to prelim moves for the Fall, and pre-juv over the winter...

Clarice
07-01-2004, 01:23 PM
Funny part - she did the arm part backwards on her inside edges (maybe that's why they were shallow?) but the judge asked to to reskate the outside edges...

That's because they only ask for a reskate if they think the skater can improve enough to pass. So they'll ask for the reskate on the thing that they think will improve enough to put you over the top. That's not necessarily going to be the thing you did worst. Anyway, many congratulations to her!

Isk8NYC
07-01-2004, 04:14 PM
She passed! But she didn't feel all that great, although she said her headache went away right before she skated. Then it came back right before we left the rink to go home. Hmm, maybe I should contract more ice time for her, since she seems to feel better when she's skating :lol:
My teenager used to have that problem: headaches and upset stomach outside the pool or rink. Turned out to be allergies. The air conditioning at these places really cleans up the rotten air we breathe.

Oh, congratulations to your family on Icy's passing the test! You must be very excited! Give her our best.

dbny
07-01-2004, 08:39 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!

Mrs Redboots
07-02-2004, 08:47 AM
Marvellous! I hope your family news continues to be good.

NickiT
07-02-2004, 10:50 AM
That's great news, especially in light of the fact that she's been so unwell. Tell her congratulations from me!

Nicki

twokidsskatemom
07-02-2004, 05:41 PM
many congrats !!!!!!!!!!!
We dont test yet but last test we took our dd so she could see what it was about.Different.