View Full Version : New ISU rules

flo
06-30-2004, 09:22 AM
Check these out! They're on the USFSA site:
Here's a few interesting ones.

After the required eight (8) revolutions in the landing position, skater(s) may conclude the flying spin with a variation of this position.
(8 revolutions???? - eeek)

For small lifts in pairs (sometimes called "dance lifts"), there is no restiction in the number of rotations for the man (formerly it was one and one-half revolutions)
(this has been a problem for a while - glad it's changed)

For both the short program and free skate spin combination for singles and pairs, at least two (2) rotations in each position must be executed. If less, the position will not be counted.

Costumes: The costume rule was "liberalized." For singles and pairs, men must wear trousers but not tights. Accessories and props are not permitted. There is now no mention of "full-length trousers." There is also no mention of sleeves for the men and skirts for the ladies. However, costumes should remain "dignified, suitable for athletic competition, and not have the effect of excessive nudity." For dance, the costume rule was not changed. For synchronized, ladies may now wear trousers.

NoVa Sk8r
06-30-2004, 10:17 AM
For small lifts in pairs (sometimes called "dance lifts"), there is no restiction in the number of rotations for the man (formerly it was one and one-half revolutions)

Loops and I are excited about this one. 1.5 revs is just not enough for me to showcase her around the ice :)

skaternum
06-30-2004, 10:19 AM

Yes, but now I'm afraid that no one will be able to tell our "dance lifts" from our "pairs lifts." They're both about the same height! ;)

Careygram
06-30-2004, 10:30 AM
They also removed the "split" requirement on the split twist and anyone who does the split gets more credit. That's cool. I guess I need to read the rules a little more carefully. We go for two rotations on all the lifts. Ooops.
Next thing you know they'll remove the death part of the death spiral requirement. Too late, I already almost killed myself learning the thing. We're putting it in even if they kick us out for disobedience!

Can't wait to see what else they cook up!

skaternum
06-30-2004, 12:10 PM
Next thing you know they'll remove the death part of the death spiral requirement. Too late, I already almost killed myself learning the thing.

We're still struggling with this element, so we're not anywhere close to Death on it. In fact, we've renamed it a Lingering Illness Spiral. It never gets any better. :lol:

(We've also renamed a few other "signature moves." We have the catch-as-catch-can spiral and the FrankenStar lift.)

icenut84
06-30-2004, 01:28 PM
After the required eight (8) revolutions in the landing position, skater(s) may conclude the flying spin with a variation of this position.
(8 revolutions???? - eeek)

It was always eight revolutions, iirc. I think all they've changed now is saying that they have to hold the position (ie. camel) for the full 8 revolutions, before they can do a variation to conclude it (ie. donut or illusion), rather than going into the variation before they've done 8 revs in the camel position.

icyboid
06-30-2004, 02:30 PM
Does that include the upright backspin position? If so, I expect to see a lot more axel-sits or death drops than flying camels.

Careygram
06-30-2004, 05:19 PM
Skaternum, I like that "lingering illness spiral". We have some original moves of our own. Like when we were learning the split twist lift we had some "funny" contact on the landings and it's now fondly called the "tizinfazliff", german it is. We no longer do that but the name stuck. And the death spiral sometimes is the "head banger" as I knocked my noodle one time when I just couldn't pull myself up and let go. Duh, didn't do that again. I personally think the "death" spiral is the hardest thing to learn. Maybe they'll just remove it altogether??? I hope to meet you at one of the many upcoming competitions. We're doing Hershey and the October Halloween one in Aston. Also sectionals and nationals. Will I see you? ;) Hope so!
Debbie

skaternum
06-30-2004, 08:12 PM
I hope to meet you at one of the many upcoming competitions. We're doing Hershey and the October Halloween one in Aston. Also sectionals and nationals. Will I see you? ;) Hope so!
Debbie

We're only doing Peach Classic and the New Years Adult Invitational this year.

Mrs Redboots
07-01-2004, 05:48 AM
We're only doing Peach Classic and the New Years Adult Invitational this year.And when are you coming to the Mountain Cup? You know everybody longs for you to come!

Re death spirals, etc: How on earth does one get up from such moves? We were trying a move where I squatted down and husband held me, but I simply couldn't get up again and ended up laughing so hard I nearly sat on the floor (wisely, I'd insisted we work on the move off-ice first!). And I can't do that move where the lady lies back and the man holds her by her head so that her back is parallel to the ice - at least, I could probably do that move, but I know quite well I couldn't get up from it! It's as much as I can do to get up from a teapot!

skaternum
07-01-2004, 08:22 AM
And when are you coming to the Mountain Cup? You know everybody longs for you to come!

Soon, I hope. I really, really want to come, but just haven't been able to work it out. I can only spare the vacation time to do one "big" week-long competition per year. That means if I do Adult Nationals one year, I probably can't do Mt. Cup too. But I have a sneaky plan. :twisted: I'm taking my husband to France in September for our vacation. My plan is for him to love it, thereby making it easy to talk him into combining next year's Mountain Cup competition with another vacation to France!

Re death spirals, etc: How on earth does one get up from such moves?
Well, in the <insert ridiculously long time> that we've been working on them, we've only done 1 together properly, and I've done 1 with a coach. My usual method of exiting is to fall onto my knee. ;) But the correct way of exiting is supposed to involve increasing the tension between the man and woman and relying on a decrease in speed to reduce the centrifugal force on the woman.

Careygram
07-01-2004, 08:38 AM
I find that to get out of the "death" position in the death spiral (there's a reason why the word death is in the name of this thing), is to make sure that you and your partner communicate. When he says "up", you both need to pull like hell at the same time. If you don't time it just right, you can pull your partner over or your partner dislocates his arm pulling on dead weight (well maybe dislocate is a little drastic). Like most other things it's timing......and strength.....and stupidity for trying and stuff like that. It's one of my favorite things to watch but doing it is something else. We're partial to throws. Those are our all time favorites.

maybe we'll think about the New Year's invitational. It will be a good warm up for sectionals and nationals.

See you there! :lol:

NoVa Sk8r
07-01-2004, 10:02 AM
After a few scary attempts with Loops (well they felt scary to me--she loves this move!), we finally learned that it's all about keeping the tension (you need to keep up the speed or else it collapses). The man has to lean back a bit and pull from the upper back. When we do this, the move looks at least half-way decent.

flo
07-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Hi Icenut - I know it's always been 8, but for my second spin in the combo 8 revolutions are hopeful at best!
I actually like the death spirals, they took some time, but when you get them they're there! Our best was a forward inside (I actually put that photo on the icepartnersearch.com site) - a recognizable pair element! Getting into them I always remember what my coach said - drop quickly into an outside, and slowly into an inside. As for getting out of them, I would not suggest pulling as it can like you said pull the man off his edge. Think of it as rising out of it. For the woman - lift your hips and your head and follow and ride your edge out. The man should rise out of his pivot and, this will lift the lady's arm in position. The motion of the death spiral will do the rest. Think of swinging a sack of oats around in a deep pivot. When you rise, so will the sack.

Mrs Redboots
07-01-2004, 10:39 AM
We're partial to throws. Those are our all time favorites. I can see why - we've just started assisted 3-jumps (sorry, waltz jumps) in preparation for lifts, and they are fun!