View Full Version : Peach Classic

jenlyon60
07-26-2002, 10:35 AM
Anyone out there going to Peach Classic?

I'm doing Bronze MIF and Pre-Silver solo dance.

dcden
07-26-2002, 10:53 AM
Remember when I said I thought I'd go when I saw you at the last club test session? Well, I changed my mind! I'm just not quite ready to compete yet. I'm trying to get a new costume made, and still don't feel confident enough on my new elements to make my Gold level debut.

Also, I was a little bummed that the rules for the MIF events place me in the Novice MIF event, which is way above my league, rather than the Gold MIF event, which is still challenging but more reasonable for me. I enjoyed doing the MIF event at last year's Peach Classic but this year it doesn't make sense for me to do it.

Part of me wants to go though... maybe in 2003. Good luck down there!

dani
07-26-2002, 11:18 AM
I am going!!

I am skating:
pre-bronze FS - I could have skated notest, but I felt this was more fair.
pre-bronze spins - I hope I have my sit by then, I am just really starting it
pre-bronze compularies
bronze moves
preliminary dance - I would have rather skated the fiesta and cha-cha, but my test center was canceled. :-(

I am really excited, this will be my first *real* competition having skated against the book in a local ISI competition.

Hugs!!!

MissIndigo
07-26-2002, 01:11 PM
You know, it really surprised me that the sit spin was included in the pre-bronze spins. In my area, only rarely have I seen a sit in a pre-bronze program, and it's usually a spin in progress, if you will. I wouldn't worry too much about it; just do the best you can.

I really want to go to this competition next year since I'm only one state over! Hopefully by that time school won't be so much of a frenzy for me!

Terri C
07-26-2002, 03:15 PM
I wanted to go this year , to compete the Pre- Bronze MIF. However after looking over my work schedule, finances, and readiness of new program ( good debut at State Games, but still need to beef up technical elements and choregraphy) I realized that I would be better served to attend a Adult Skating camp in Hillsbourough, NC! Besides ,when I saw the patterns to be skated for the Pre- Bronze MIF, I was a little dissapointed- NO ALTERNATING THREES-I've worked really hard on them! :(

Ice T
07-26-2002, 09:13 PM
I'm going!! This will be my first year at PC. I'm debuting my new Silver freeskate program and competing in Silver spins.

OlgaG
07-26-2002, 10:20 PM
Can someone please elaborate as to the types of events at this comp?
There are events for MIF? for 'no-test' level? specific skills such as spins?

I thought that were only competitions for freestyle or dance.

Are these events limited only to this comp or do they exist elsewhere?

Any info would be much appreciated as I'm now very confused as to what one can compete in.

jenlyon60
07-27-2002, 06:51 AM
Each competition will decide which events they are having and publish it in the competition announcement.

For Peach, go to www.gafsc.com and click on the link for Peach Classic. The competition announcement is a PDF file that can be downloaded.

Peach is having MIF (across the various categories) as an event. Competitors in each category have to do 2 pre-selected moves as defined in the competition announcement.

Hope that helps.

--jsl[/url]

flutzilla1
07-27-2002, 10:24 AM
I'm going to be competing in Pre-Bronze spins and skating up to Bronze I FS. :D

See you all there! :wink:

flutzilla1
07-27-2002, 10:28 AM
[quote:adf42d4136="MissIndigo"]You know, it really surprised me that the sit spin was included in the pre-bronze spins. In my area, only rarely have I seen a sit in a pre-bronze program, and it's usually a spin in progress, if you will. [/quote:adf42d4136]

I didn't do the Pre-Bronze spin event last year, but if I recall correctly, I think a sit spin was also included in the event in 2001. You actually have your choice of sit, broken leg or attitude spin for the event this year -- I waffled back and forth between the sit and my side spin (attitude spin) and I think I'm going to go with the attitude spin. I guess it really does depend on the event regarding what Pre-Bronze spins include -- at Atlanta Open for example, the Pre-Bronze spin event was a two foot spin, one foot spin and a pivot of choice.

I had a BLAST last year at Peach Classic and can't wait until this year's competition!

flutzilla1
08-18-2002, 03:42 PM
Just bumping this subject -- from what the site has listed, the schedule should be coming out any day now. Good luck to all the Peach Classic skaters -- 12 days and counting until our competition adventures begin! :)

Stormy
08-18-2002, 07:30 PM
I'm going! This will be my 3rd Peach Classic. I'm skating Young Adult Silver. Axel probably won't be in the program, but who knows! :) I can't wait to go, it's always such a fun and relaxed competition. I just wish they'd open up all the events to Young Adults, like Compulsory Moves and Spins. I would have done several more events if they'd do that.

:D

jenlyon60
08-19-2002, 09:14 AM
The schedule is posted!!! I printed it off this morning.

--jsl

flutzilla1
08-19-2002, 09:42 AM
http://www.gafsc.org/peachClassic/schedule.htm

The site has noted that this is a preliminary schedule so be sure to keep checking back in case of any changes.

dani
08-19-2002, 12:24 PM
I can't wait!!!

Anyone else skating pre-bronze FS?

I noticed that there is a master's men interp, does anyone know if "Michelle" is showing up?

Excited Hugs!

jenlyon60
08-19-2002, 12:45 PM
I understand from another message I read somewhere that "Michelle" has other committments that weekend.

--jsl

jazzpants
08-19-2002, 01:47 PM
Sorry to tell ya'... but "Michelle" is doing a gig in LA that weekend...

Cheers,
jazzpants

flutzilla1
08-19-2002, 02:36 PM
I'm doing one Pre-Bronze event -- Pre-Bronze Spins -- and the Bronze I FS. I noticed that the Pre-Bronze FS is a lot smaller this year -- last year they had 5 skaters in a separate I group and 5 skaters in another separate II group. Although the spin event is bigger this year -- last year there were only 3 skaters.

jenlyon60
08-19-2002, 02:53 PM
PreSilver Solo Dance and Bronze MIF

dani
08-19-2002, 04:21 PM
It sounds like you must be quite good at the power 3's!

Since this is my first real ice event, I am curious as to what to expect skating-wise at the pre-bronze/bronze level. (And yes, part of this is to try to size up what to expect ;-)

I skate the prelim dances with fairly good speed and an overall good pattern although my end patterns could be tighter. I have the toughest jumps allowed in my pre-bronze FS event but only a scratch and change foot spin. And, they aren't the best of quality. With my bronze moves, I have some speed and good control, but sometimes my 3's are noisy (although not as much since my skates were sharpened)

Thanks!
Danielle

ps) I can't wait to see everyone!
pps) Oops, I posted the wrong quote, so now I have taken it out ;-)

flutzilla1
08-20-2002, 10:10 AM
Dani --

I competed in the Pre-Bronze FS I event last year, and as far as I remember (I didn't watch all of the programs or take notes like I was able to for the Bronze events but I did see most of them, as well as ones from the II and III/IV groups that went before us), your spins seem pretty much on par with what the others were doing last year. Some people were doing sit spins, but most of them that I remember (including mine!) were like what Miss Indigo said -- more of a "work in progress" sit spin than ones in the full sit position that you often see at Bronze and higher. I remember there being maybe one or at the most 2 camels and/or camel attempts in all 3 groups total -- only one skater in our group that I recall even tried one. The jumps were all pretty much at the equivalent FS 3 and 4 level -- last year they did allow lutz jumps, and again there were a few, but not many, and they are something that you won't see at all this year because of the event being restricted and lutzes being off limits. It sounds like because of your dance and advanced MITF background that you skate very smoothly and confidently, and having the good edges, crossovers, speed and in betweens that dance and MITF work bring to your skating will definitely make a big difference at this level.

Good luck and I hope this helps you! I think you guys go right after my friend's event (the Pre-Bronze MITF) and right before mine (the Bronze FS), so I'll probably be there to watch and cheer you on!

:)

jenlyon60
08-20-2002, 11:23 AM
Anyone know the comfort level of the rink in Duluth where Peach is being held?

Long sleeves, short sleeves, tank?

Ice T
08-20-2002, 04:19 PM
Change my two Silver events to one event: Bronze MIF.

I found out I was pregnant, so I called and changed my events. But then I had a miscarriage at 6 weeks. :cry: I'm still going to PC, but I'm going to stick with the Bronze MIF and get back into freeskating after that weekend.

I look forward to meeting you all there and hanging out at the competitor's party.

jazzpants
08-21-2002, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Ice T
Change my two Silver events to one event: Bronze MIF.

I found out I was pregnant, so I called and changed my events. But then I had a miscarriage at 6 weeks. :cry: I'm still going to PC, but I'm going to stick with the Bronze MIF and get back into freeskating after that weekend.

I look forward to meeting you all there and hanging out at the competitor's party.

OH, NO!!! I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage!!! :cry: I don't know if this is a consolation... but at least you'll be back skating FS again...and you're still healthy enough to skate (rather than going through a difficult pregancy and be bedridden.)

Cheers,
jazzpants

Mrs Redboots
08-21-2002, 06:29 AM

I found out I was pregnant, so I called and changed my events. But then I had a miscarriage at 6 weeks. :cry: I am so very sorry! Do be sure to allow yourself plenty of time to grieve for the might-have-been. I am sure, though, that one day you will have a family.

Ice T
08-21-2002, 06:41 AM
Thank you very much! You are all very sweet. I have been surrounded by very supportive family and friends, which has made this easier to get through. And when my body heals, me and my husband will try again. The doctor told me to wait at least three months, which just seems like such a long time.

Mrs. Redboots, in the meantime, I took your suggestion about ice dance while I was pregnant, and I actually reallly enjoyed it. My coach's wife teaches me, and she was absolutely THRILLED that I wanted to learn dance. We've been having so much fun with it, so I decided to continue learning those first three dances, and who knows, maybe I'll do a little testing before the end of the year.

After Peach Classic, I'll start back into the jumping and spinning. I was about to start on the axel, so now we have three months to work on that before I can get pregnant again. I have lots of stuff now to keep me busy to help the time pass.

flo
08-21-2002, 09:17 AM
Take care of yourself, and enjoy being with friends.

Mrs Redboots
08-21-2002, 12:41 PM
Mrs. Redboots, in the meantime, I took your suggestion about ice dance while I was pregnant, and I actually reallly enjoyed it. My coach's wife teaches me, and she was absolutely THRILLED that I wanted to learn dance. We've been having so much fun with it, so I decided to continue learning those first three dances, and who knows, maybe I'll do a little testing before the end of the year.I hope so! Dance is fun, and it can only do the rest of your skating good. Maybe you'll be competing dance next year, if you aren't otherwise busy by then!

Terri C
08-21-2002, 06:15 PM
Ice-T:
I am very sorry to hear of your loss. At least getting ready for the PC will help in a therapeutic manner. Take care of yourself!

As for my week of lessons/ practices:
Frightful: The sit spin! UGH! Coach #2 showed me what I look like, there will be off-ice, off-ice and more off-ice:evil: !
Still have a two foot takeoff on the toe loop- how am I supposed to convert the RFI3 from alternating 3's for the toe loop? Advice anyone? It's basically a upper body issue !

PMS invaded and took my consistent backscratch!:cry:

Fabulous: Forward crossovers on the 8 pattern! No more toe pushes!
Flip attempts are going well- just got to get the guts to add some speed going in!

Still a litttle frightful, but progressing toward fabulous:
Alternating FO3's
Back crossovers on a 8 pattern

Take care all. TerriC

jenlyon60
08-23-2002, 07:31 AM
Just looked and the "as of" date for the Peach Classic schedule has changed. Not sure what changed yet, though.

flutzilla1
08-23-2002, 03:07 PM
...I'm not entirely sure of this, but I think the only thing that has changes is the listings of competitors and the numbers in each category. For example, when the schedule first came out there were 10 listed in my Bronze FS group and 5 in my Pre-Bronze spins, and now those numbers are 11 and 4, respectively.

Everyone who's going though please be sure to check the schedule every few days up until you leave just in case.

Anyone else practicing on the 6-7pm sessions on Friday night?

jenlyon60
08-23-2002, 04:35 PM
I haven't decided yet. I'm flying down Wednesday afternoon, so will have time on Thurs/Fri morning to practice.

Ice T
08-23-2002, 06:16 PM
I saw on the website today that there are 125 competitors from 21 states, and one skater from England. Does anyone know who the England skater is? Is is one of our Rinkside members?

dani
08-23-2002, 07:39 PM
I am driving up on Thursday. I am taking my lesson Thursday morning and then leaving from the rink! I am going to try to make the public session that Thursday night and will skate that Friday. Does anyone know if there is freestyle ice we can guest on Friday morning?

I am excited!! My flip-loop-loop is trying to happen!

Hugs!
Danielle

ps) Flutzilla - They moved up my moves event.
pps) Hey everyone, still reading? ;-) My freestyle event and my MIF event is about an hour apart, should I just plan to skate in the same dress or should I go through changing?

jenlyon60
08-23-2002, 08:00 PM
I called, there's freestyle sessions all Friday morning according to the employee I talked to. I believe the pick-up fee is like $9.75 but don't quote me on it. I'll probably be wearing my club jacket at the FS sessions.

There's also a 10-noon or something like that public session.

I'm staying with friends so I won't be at the hotel(s) with most of the other out-of-towners.

Dani -- you've got PLENTY of time to change. Trust me. I changed from my waltz dress to my tango dress in about 3 minutes back in June and still had time to get a good breath before my warm-up for that dance.

dani
08-23-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by jenlyon60
I called, there's freestyle sessions all Friday morning according to the employee I talked to. I believe the pick-up fee is like $9.75 but don't quote me on it. I'll probably be wearing my club jacket at the FS sessions.

There's also a 10-noon or something like that public session.

I'm staying with friends so I won't be at the hotel(s) with most of the other out-of-towners.

Dani -- you've got PLENTY of time to change. Trust me. I changed from my waltz dress to my tango dress in about 3 minutes back in June and still had time to get a good breath before my warm-up for that dance.

Thanks!! I will try to guest on one then, I don't have a club jacket, so I guess you can recognize me by that ;-) Seriously, I am a total amazon (5' 10") so that is how I can be picked out of a crowd.

Now I am worried, I should have a waltz dress *and* a tango dress!! Oh no! I have a killer tango dress and just planned on wearing it for both. 1/2 ;-)

Hugs!!!

Danielle

jenlyon60
08-23-2002, 08:38 PM
Nah... I wouldn't worry about it. If you have a basic black dance dress, that's enough at Prelim. I was competing Silver Dance with my coach at that competition. For my PreSilver event, I just wore the same dress for both dances.

I'm short and chubby...can't miss me.

Mrs Redboots
08-24-2002, 06:33 AM
I saw on the website today that there are 125 competitors from 21 states, and one skater from England. Does anyone know who the England skater is? Is is one of our Rinkside members? If it is who I think it is, no, she is not a Rinkside member!

Ice T
08-24-2002, 07:24 AM
Mrs. Redboots, the way you said that, now you really have my curiosity going! (By the way, I was hoping it was you that was coming so that I could meet you in person :)

Do share! Do share! :)

flutzilla1
08-24-2002, 09:29 AM
(edited re: response below)

Black Sheep
08-24-2002, 09:35 AM
I'd do this competition myself, but travelling on Labor Day weekend can be H---! Anyone ever have this problem?

jenlyon60
08-24-2002, 10:17 AM
I'm traveling a couple days before and after... taking extra vacation.

I've found Memorial Day to be nasty traveling... especially driving thru western Kansas/eastern Colorado in the late afternoon/early evening.

And Thanksgiving has to be the worst for air travel. Much worse than Labor Day.

Mrs Redboots
08-25-2002, 02:32 PM
Mrs. Redboots, the way you said that, now you really have my curiosity going! (By the way, I was hoping it was you that was coming so that I could meet you in person :)

Do share! Do share! :) No, I just think it probably is the person Flutzilla mentions, but I don't care to mention people's names on a public forum without their knowledge and consent. After all, most of us use nicknames rather than our own names, even if our names are common knowledge.

flutzilla1
08-25-2002, 04:13 PM
That's a good point Mrs. Redboots, I will edit my post accordingly. I do remember her from last year and look forward to watching her skate again this year!

Ice T
08-25-2002, 06:17 PM
That's fine. You could just use the screen name. That's probably the only way I would know who you are talking about anyways.:)

Mrs Redboots
08-27-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by flutzilla1
That's a good point Mrs. Redboots, I will edit my post accordingly. I do remember her from last year and look forward to watching her skate again this year! I was watching her skate on Thursday evening, and she now has a very new Axel jump! A bit clunky still, but she was landing it.

Incidentally, although we aren't going to the Atlanta Peach competition this year, we certainly don't rule out going another year, maybe even next year. That's not firm yet - don't count on it - but we will certainly come one year! We haven't yet visited Georgia; together we have been to New England, and Robert has been to Kansas City, and me to Boulder, Colo, and San Francisco and Los Angeles (I came with a friend to visit the 1998 Adult National competition, which was fantastic, and lovely to meet so many people who, until then, had just been e-mail names! This was before the Mountain Cup started, and I got to meet a whole load of new people then....).