View Full Version : Adults at the Atlanta Open

skatingatty
06-22-2004, 09:33 AM
I'm still "recovering" from my whirlwind trip to Atlanta-- all that non-stop driving and sitting, not getting enough sleep, etc. But-- I wanted to comment on how thrilling it was to stay and watch the adults compete on Sunday afternoon. Most people left, and there were about 30-40 people hanging around. So many people had great costumes and original music. I especially liked Amy? DiRocco's use of "Yesterday Once More," because it was so different. I had these karaoke flashbacks as she skated, and she won; maybe the judges were recalling the songs that reminded them of when they were young and in love (to borrow a Tamara Moskvina phrase! :) ). There was another lady who skated to "Swan Lake" wearing a dress that resembled Sasha Cohen's dress from Worlds this year; she had a great camel position, better than many of the kids I saw competing. I also liked this purple costume that one of the bronze or silver ladies wore-- it was sleeveless and had an X-back, with beading in the front.

As far as the gold ladies went, I couldn't tell who won-- one person did an axel and an axel-toe or axel-loop, and another (wearing a burgundy dress skating to the Rachmaninoff piece that Chen Lu skated to in '96) did a big double salchow, but I don't think she did an axel. I was pleasantly surprised at how many adult skaters competed, and most of them were from Atlanta. I kind of wished I had signed up to compete too, but given how achy I felt, maybe it was better not to have competed. Looks like Peach Classic will have a lot of Atlanta representation-- can't wait! :)

Beccapoo2003
06-22-2004, 06:12 PM
You MUST come to Peach!!!! So motivating and thrilling to see so many other skating disease inflicted Adults! :D :D Not to mention all the fun and mischief that goes on! 8-)
Becca from Alabama

Stormy
06-22-2004, 06:17 PM
I was supposed to go to the Atlanta Open, but I had to scratch. I have a friend who lives in Atlanta so I was going to visit him as well. I was bummed I couldn't go!\, but I'll definitely be at Peach! :)

NCSkater02
06-22-2004, 07:50 PM
One of the coaches at my rink was telling me she watched the Pre-bronze and that I would do well. She said it was more like the level I do--true pre-bronze--than what I competed against here (at least three of the skaters will move up) Somehow I doubt I would do well, but maybe I'll aim for Peach...next year--if I can convince my coach to go with me.

skaternum
06-22-2004, 08:15 PM
Somehow I doubt I would do well, but maybe I'll aim for Peach...next year--if I can convince my coach to go with me.

You really should come this year. If you've never been to an adult-only competition, you don't know what you're missing. It's nothing like State Games or Central Carolina. It's got a whole different feel to it. So come down to have fun and skate well, no matter how you place. You'll make new friends and get totally hooked on adult competitions!

The Underwear Phantom has a pair waiting just for you. :twisted:

Debbie S
06-22-2004, 08:48 PM
...another (wearing a burgundy dress skating to the Rachmaninoff piece that Chen Lu skated to in '96)...

LOL! I am skating to that Rach piece (not exactly the same selections) and I wear a burgundy dress. When I was looking for dresses for that music, I thought about Lu Chen's dress and knew that the color would fit the music. I wasn't exactly crazy about the dresses Sasha wore for her program to that music - well, except for the blue one she wore at Lalique that looked similar to an old Jenni Meno dress.

I'd be interested to know what Pre-Bronze and Bronze looked like. I know it varies a bit among competitions. I heard much about the Bronze groups at ANs, but I know that's at a bit higher level than most club comps. I'm competing Bronze at Wilmington, which is a "skate up" for me, as I've only passed Pre-Bronze. I'm curious as to what a typical Bronze comp looks like.

skatingatty
06-23-2004, 08:41 AM
DebbieS,
I'm sorry, but I didn't take notes on the adults and can't really remember the elements that pre-bronze and bronze skaters did. Bronze skaters usually try all the single jumps besides the axel, and do not attempt flying spins. At the Atlanta Open, I remember the pre-bronze/bronze skaters in general didn't get more than a few revolutions on their spins. In Silver, I don't think any one did an axel, but there were some attempts, and some also attempted flying camels but got no more than 2-3 revolutions.

NCSkater02-- you don't need to bring a coach to the Peach Classic; I never have my coach with me at out of town competitions. It's too expensive. Only some of the competitors have their coaches with them. I'd be happy to be your "temporary coach" at the Peach Classic. :) I once joked to my husband that he could stand at the side of the rink and tell me, "Jump higher! Skate faster!"
Becca- I'll definitely be at Peach Classic! I grew up around Atlanta and still have relatives there. I've enjoyed watching your "Shark" and "Streaker" performances in the past, and look forward to seeing what you've come up with this year.

skaternum
06-23-2004, 09:25 AM
NCSkater02 -- I second what skatingatty said about not needing a coach. I never take a coach with me. Here's how I look at it:
(1) The coach's main job is to get me ready to go to a competition. His/her job occurs in the month or two before a competition. The weekend of Peach Classic, there's absolutely nothing else my coach can do to help me get ready for it. He/she isn't going to miraculously fix something at the last minute. At a competition, you have to rely solely on muscle memory. A coach isn't going to help you at that point. Your technique is already set.
(2) It's too expensive to take a coach. Why should I give my coach a paid trip to Atlanta, with hotel, food, travel, and maybe missed lessons at home, when I don't really have to?
(3) Skating friends can help "put you on the ice" just as well as a coach can. All you need is someone to keep an eye on what's going on out on the ice, so you're dressed in time with skates on; someone to hold your water bottle, tissues, blade guards, jacket, or whatever little stuff you take with you on your warmup. That's really all you need, which can be easily done by your skating friends. (Including the new ones you've made here!) My club usually has about 7 or 8 adults who compete in Peach, and we always put each other on the ice!
(4) I know I'm weird, but I don't like having a coach with me at a competition. It makes it seem like a Big Deal, and I do best when I approach it like it's just another program, which I've already done 100 times in the last month. I also don't like to disappoint my coach by skating worse in competition than I usually do in practice (which is inevitable for most everyone because of nerves), so I'd just as soon not have him/her there.

So, in other words, come to Peach!

NCSkater02
06-23-2004, 01:23 PM
So, does this mean y'all would all talk me down from the heights of nerves? I'm still new to this, and the large butterflies take over my stomach when I compete. I thought I was supposed to have fun--when does that start? :lol:

I'd like to go to Peach, but will still aim for next year--when I can try to budget it in.

skaternum
06-23-2004, 01:37 PM
For me, the fun part starts at the competitors party, or whenever The Underwear Phantom makes her first appearance! :P

And we have lots of experience dealing with nervous skaters.

NCSkater02
06-23-2004, 05:38 PM
For me, the fun part starts at the competitors party, or whenever The Underwear Phantom makes her first appearance! :P

And we have lots of experience dealing with nervous skaters.

What is the Underwear Phantom? Do I really want to know? :o

And we're talking major nerves--my husband says he can see me trembling through the whole program.

jazzpants
06-24-2004, 12:49 AM
What is the Underwear Phantom? Do I really want to know? :o

And we're talking major nerves--my husband says he can see me trembling through the whole program.If you don't know who the Underwear Phantom is... you'll find out!!! Let's just say you should be even more nervous of the Underwear Phantom than how you skate at the competition!!! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

skatingatty
06-28-2004, 10:25 AM
This would be a fun opportunity to make up crazy names for this thread, like "Underwear Queries." NCSkater02, some of the adult skaters have been throwing underwear on the ice after people finish their skating programs-- this has happened at the Peach Classic and Ashburn, VA adult new yr. invitational. I haven't seen this at competitions involving kids, which is a good thing. So, my question is, are those people throwing old underwear, because I can't imagine someone wanting to spend $20+ buying new underwear to throw on the ice. :lol:

skaternum
06-28-2004, 10:57 AM
Okay, okay. Here's the story, for those who still don't know the history. It's not just a simple matter of throwing underwear on the ice. Ohhh noooo. It all started at the competitors party a few years ago at Peach Classic. Aren Nielsen (former elite skater, now coach, and part time musician) and his band Sucker Punch were playing the party. He was complaining that women never throw underwear onstage at them, like some bands, so Becca went out to a thrift store and got a bunch of underwear. It was passed around to partygoers, who pelted the band with them at the appropriate signal. It was beautiful -- so much underwear raining down on Aren and the boyz. :) But somehow, all the underwear disappeared when the party was over. <cue ominous music> It reappeared Sunday morning, when it got thrown onto the ice. That's what started it all.

Every year, Becca and others do evil things with underwear. At least one car gets draped every year. Sometimes it shows up at the competitors party on the outside of clothes. Sometimes it gets thrown during medal ceremonies, which makes for some good Kodak moments! Sometimes the Underwear Phantom writes a message on underwear and tucks them into your skate bag while you aren't looking. And sometimes, it gets attached to beach balls. This year there will be a new use of underwear, so be on the lookout!

As for where it comes from -- some of it is purchased from thrift shops, some of it is purchased new. I, myself, just picked up a couple of 6 packs on sale at KMart yesterdsay. Bwahahaha. :twisted:

w.w.west
06-28-2004, 11:10 AM
And just because the original "Underwear Phantom" isn't slated to compete at a competition, that doesn't count out the "garments on ice" possiblity! Oh no siree. A representative of the Phantom showed up in Wyandotte, Michigan at the NAAI this past February! Let's face it, the Phantom can't be everywhere so everyone must do their part! Oh how proud it made me....for a competition that we work so hard to organize every year to finally be "christened"!

Mrs Redboots
06-28-2004, 11:27 AM
As, indeed, was the Mountain Cup this year..... and not only underwear, but even a RUBBER CHICKEN!!!! Which the perpetrator of might like to know is still being talked about in the UK!

Those of us talking about it were also saying that if we were to do only one competition in the USA, we've been told that Atlanta Peach is the one to do. No offence to San Francisco, which I believe runs it a very close second....

blue111moon
06-28-2004, 11:47 AM
At Mountain Cup, I was not yet worthy of a gift from the Underwear Phantom, but my present from the Whiskey Whalloper was much appreciated and much more to my taste. :)

No wonder adult competitions are more fun than the kid ones.

skaternum
06-28-2004, 12:44 PM
And just because the original "Underwear Phantom" isn't slated to compete at a competition, that doesn't count out the "garments on ice" possiblity! <snip> Let's face it, the Phantom can't be everywhere so everyone must do their part! Oh how proud it made me....for a competition that we work so hard to organize every year to finally be "christened"!

That's right. Just like Santa Claus! He can't be at every mall in America at the same time, so he has Santa's Helpers to assist. Some of us are U.P.'s Little Helpers!

Mrs Redboots
06-29-2004, 10:31 AM
At Mountain Cup, I was not yet worthy of a gift from the Underwear Phantom, but my present from the Whiskey Whalloper was much appreciated and much more to my taste. :)

No wonder adult competitions are more fun than the kid ones.Indeed - I didn't know I liked bourbon until after this year's Mountain Cup.... and one of my friends was complaining loud and long the other day that her event had been too early in the morning for whiskey phantoms to be out and about.....