View Full Version : A Good Preliminary Program...

IceAngel725
06-20-2004, 04:40 PM
This summer will be my first time competing in preliminary (no axel or doubles) and i was wondering what elements i should include. In pre-pre competitions i never did well (usually right after the comp. i'd have a break through) and want to try to medal this summer (or at least not come in last!!!)

For jumps i'm thinking about including a loop-loop, salchow, lutz-loop, flip-toe, waltz jump.

I'm not sure about spins. My coach has usually advised me to to an easier spin that i do well, for example a good sit instead of a mediocre camel-sit. Would most judges rather see an attempt at a difficult element rather than a fast,centered easier spin? What spins do skaters in preliminary usually do?

It also seems like judges expect more from an older skater, which is frustrating since being older doesn't mean that i've skated for longer. For this program i'm working on increasing speed and my artistry.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks :)

IceDoctor
06-20-2004, 06:15 PM
Hey...I won't put in a flip toe since that is considered an easier combo than something with a loop.

I always have my prelim skaters do a lutz/loop/loop, flip/loop, and a loop/loop for the combos. Then I usually throw in single loops, flips, and lutzs. No sals, waltzs, or toes since those are too easy for prelim. As for spins, usually a camel/sit/change sit or just a sit change sit, camel, maybe a layback. Don't forget about all those connecting moves!

Debbie S
06-20-2004, 08:04 PM
Would most judges rather see an attempt at a difficult element rather than a fast,centered easier spin? What spins do skaters in preliminary usually do?

Definitely stick to elements you can do well. If you do something of poor quality, the judges may not give you credit for it.

I think some sort of backspin is kind of mandatory at this level, since it's required for the test.

It's odd that your prelim competition doesn't allow axels or doubles. Are you doing a restricted event? From what I've heard, skaters at prelim can do an axel and 2 different doubles. That's why most coaches won't let the kids take that test until they have some consistent doubles.

CanAmSk8ter
06-21-2004, 05:39 PM
It's odd that your prelim competition doesn't allow axels or doubles. Are you doing a restricted event? From what I've heard, skaters at prelim can do an axel and 2 different doubles. That's why most coaches won't let the kids take that test until they have some consistent doubles.

I'm betting this is a competition with two Prelims- A, with no axel or doubles allowed, and B, with the axel and two doubles. That's what most competitions around here do.

I would strongly reccommend having a Lutz combination in Prelim. The top Pre A's around here usually have absolutely everything except the axel, meaning Lutz-loop-loop, change-foot sit, and camel-sit or camel-backsit. But I would also say not to try things you don't do well. Focus on in-betweens a lot; that will make you stand out even if the jumps aren't all there, because a lot of Prelims haven't mastered that stuff yet. I know you're a little older than most Prelims, so good in-betweens and a more mature presentation are among the positive things that could really make you stand out against slightly younger skaters.

IceAngel725
06-22-2004, 03:51 PM
Thanks for all the advice! I'm still not 100% sure what spins i'll be putting in, since i have to see how they fit in the spots where the other spins were...i hate feeling rushed!

Yes, most competitions around here have pre-pre a(no axel or doubles), pre-pre b (axel) and pre a (no axel or doubles) and pre b (axel and 2 doubles)

I'll let u guys know what i decide to do!