View Full Version : SLAP Lesion

dani
06-17-2004, 02:41 PM
Hi all! I guess the best way to sum up is to say that during my lesson on Monday it was back outside brackets 2 - Danielle 0 :-(

The doctor thinks I have a SLAP Lesion and I am getting an MRI tonight. Does anyone out there have any experience with this?

Hugs!
Danielle

NCSkater02
06-17-2004, 03:23 PM
Hi all! I guess the best way to sum up is to say that during my lesson on Monday it was back outside brackets 2 - Danielle 0 :-(

The doctor thinks I have a SLAP Lesion and I am getting an MRI tonight. Does anyone out there have any experience with this?

Hugs!
Danielle

It's in the shoulder or hip, isn't it? I've heard my orthopods use the term and have asked about it, but it slips my mind right now.

dani
06-17-2004, 03:45 PM
Oh sorry - it is the shoulder. I fell straight down on a right outer back bracket and I fell on my right hand. Apparantly that is a great way to hurt one's shoulder! :-( Actually I feel a lot better, but it is amazing how we take things like shaving the underarms or even shampooing our hair for granted!

Hugs!
Danielle

NCSkater02
06-17-2004, 03:57 PM
Oh sorry - it is the shoulder. I fell straight down on a right outer back bracket and I fell on my right hand. Apparantly that is a great way to hurt one's shoulder! :-( Actually I feel a lot better, but it is amazing how we take things like shaving the underarms or even shampooing our hair for granted!

Hugs!
Danielle

Try not being able to use or lift either arm as I was after surgery last fall.

I think SLAP lesions can be repaired (if necessary) either open or arthroscopically. Ask your surgeon. If he recommends surgery, ask how many he has done. There may be someone else in his group more qualified. The main group we work with each has a specialty or two, and refer to each other.

dani
06-17-2004, 04:02 PM
I can still use one arm just fine and the other arm works as long as I don't use a muscle. So, to shave this morning (because I was having X-Rays and wasn't sure if they were going to have me remove my shirt) I used my left hand to raise my arm and rested it on my head ;-)

I will know more in a few days after they have read tonight's MRI's. Everyone think happy thoughts, please!

CanAmSk8ter
06-17-2004, 07:23 PM
OUCH! I took three nasty falls on back outside brackets within four days the week before I took my Intermediate Moves. Those have to be one of the worst things to fall on. I wish I could say something positive, like that I went on to pass the test, but I didn't. Not that week, anyway. Good luck with the MRI.

sk8er1964
06-17-2004, 08:21 PM
OUCH! I took three nasty falls on back outside brackets within four days the week before I took my Intermediate Moves. Those have to be one of the worst things to fall on. I wish I could say something positive, like that I went on to pass the test, but I didn't. Not that week, anyway. Good luck with the MRI.

Been there, done that. Bracket falls are the worst.

Dani, I hope everything goes well for you, and it's just something minor and easily corrected. Please keep us posted, 'K?

skaternum
06-18-2004, 06:38 AM
Poor Dani! Hope you heal quickly. Evil, evil brackets!

(Must confess that I have about a hundred "slap" jokes running through my head.) :)

1lutz2klutz
06-18-2004, 04:09 PM
A SLAP lesion is a tear of the cartilage lining the shoulder. It stands for superior labral (tear), anterior posterior. It's hard to diagnosis without an MRI (and hard to diagnose even WITH an MRI) because of the location and difficulty positioning the shoulder to see it well. Some people have it repaired, some just live with it if you don't have a lot of limitation. The rehab is kinda long, so be prepared if you plan to have the surgery. If you need more info, PM me and I'll send you an idea of what the rehab protocol is.