View Full Version : Pain when in this position

icenut84
06-17-2004, 02:09 PM
I skated today and at one point, practiced doing a few BO edges (landing position) from back crossovers (both directions). They were pretty strong, so I tried doing them with my free leg lifted higher towards being parallel with the ice (though maybe not quite that high), with my upper body still upright and back arched, leg extended, skating knee bent etc. It's a landing position that some elite skaters have on their jumps (Plushenko is one who springs to mind) and looks good. I think my position was good too, judging by my reflection in the plexi glass, and I think it looks better on me than with a lower free leg. However, when I held these positions, I got a bit of pain in my lower back, on the side of my free leg. Anyone know why? Was I doing something wrong, or is it just a position that will take a bit more getting used to?

mikawendy
06-17-2004, 02:53 PM
However, when I held these positions, I got a bit of pain in my lower back, on the side of my free leg. Anyone know why? Was I doing something wrong, or is it just a position that will take a bit more getting used to?

Sometimes that happens to me when I'm working on a spiral.

When you raise your leg, think of sending energy through your foot--think of pushing energy out the foot rather than just lifting the leg UP. This will keep some length in your lower back so that it won't crunch.

I think Nancy Kerrigan talks about this in her book in the section on layback spins. (She talks about lifting up and back with the back rather than just crunching back--it's a similar principle.)

TashaKat
06-17-2004, 04:03 PM
ITA it sounds like you're just squishing (technical term) your back. You should think of your upper body being pulled towards one end of the rink and your free foot/leg being pulled towards the other. DON'T think so much of getting your leg UP think of getting it AWAY (does that make sense?). Think of stretching your leg away from you towards the barrier, same for your 'front end' ..... feel like you're reaching for the opposite barrier.

Sorry, waffling now ..... I'll shut up :roll:

sk8er1964
06-17-2004, 04:59 PM
Three words -- hip flexor stretches.

Here's a link that shows the muscle and tells a bit about it: http://physicaltherapy.about.com/cs/exercise/l/aa081501i.htm BTW, I am not recommending any of the stretches listed on the site - I don't know if it is good info or not, and I haven't looked at them. Best to consult a professional for stretches. The info about the muscle itself is good, though.

Anyway, I had a hip flexor injury that kept me off jumping for over a month, and skating in pain for several months before that. Then, a few months later, back pain showed up (but fortunately disappeared with stretching). My physical therapist and sports med doc told me to stretch after each time I skate, to keep that muscle limber. It is used a lot in skating.

icenut84
06-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Thanks everyone :) I'll keep all that in mind when I next skate.