View Full Version : Skin reaction from Bunga pads?

Debbie S
06-17-2004, 11:11 AM
I recently started wearing Bunga pads and on the advice of a kid I skate with, I've been wearing them under my tights. But this week, I noticed a rash developing on my ankles right where the Bunga pads go. Of course, I've been using several foot creams/lotions to try to get the lace bite spots to go away, so one of them could have been the culprit. I guess I'll start wearing the Bungas over my tights and hope they don't slip too much.

Has anyone else had this problem with Bungas?

flo
06-17-2004, 11:29 AM
Not that I've noticed. Try dusting them with a little powder.
On another note, the adult show is August 8th. Would you like to be a guest skater?

backspin
06-17-2004, 11:39 AM
It might just be from the sweat that accumulates under the Bungas. When I wear footed tights I just put my bungas on the outside, & that works fine.

NickiT
06-17-2004, 12:06 PM
I use mine against my skin too. Have done for four and a half years now and have never had any reactions. I suspect it's due to the creams you've been applying. I hope so for your sake because bungas are so brilliant!

Nicki

skatingatty
06-17-2004, 06:38 PM
I've worn bunga pads for over 7 yrs and never had a rash. It's probably from the cream or something else. Hope it gets better soon. :)

CanAmSk8ter
06-17-2004, 07:12 PM
My guess would be that it's a reaction to the sweat from the Bungas being trapped against your skin, similar to heat rash or prickly heat. Since the Bungas aren't "breathable" there's nowhere for the sweat to evaporate to. Try wearing them over your tights- I always did, and I never had any problems with them slipping.

In the meantime, try to wear cotton socks- or, better yet, no socks- and no lotions or anything. Just let your ankles air out as much as possible. If it's sweat-related, that should clear it up.

StarshineXavier
06-17-2004, 10:45 PM
If you're nervous about any slippage, a piece or two of surgical tape over the pad will keep it in place nicely while you skate.

Debbie S
06-17-2004, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Tonight, I wore them outside of my tights and had no slipping problems. Unfortunately, I may have discovered the cause of the rash - mikawendy suggested that the gel lining may contain Vitamin E or a related substance. I developed a skin allergy to Vitamin E oil about a year and a half ago - fortunately, this reaction does not (yet) appear to be as bad as the one before. But if that's the cause, I assume any problematic substances could be absorbed into the skin through my tights - it's not like tights are a non-porous material. Sigh. I really wanted to prevent (and get rid of) the red marks on my ankle bones and the lace bite marks on the front of my foot.

I remember some people here posted that wearing Harlicks helped those problems b/c of lambswool in the tongue lining (?). When I went to get my current skates, the fitter told me that b/c of my foot shape, Harlicks (and also Riedells) would not be good for me. I suppose I could get customs - I assume they would be designed to fit me. But since I'm in business school for another year and do not appear to be obtaining an internship this summer, I think I'm going to be wearing my current skates for a while. I imagine Harlick customs are pretty pricey.

IceDoctor
06-18-2004, 09:54 AM
Harlick customs are pricey but they are worth every penny. I have had mine for about 8 years now and they show no signs of breaking down. Granted I coached in them for about 6 years and they didn't get too beat up...but they are fabulous.

flo
06-18-2004, 10:26 AM
Debbie,
What size do you wear? My new Harlicks are in, and have two former pairs you can try out if you like. Joining us for the show?
Something I've found that works is a very thin piece of clear clouds that the rep was handing out as samples. It was just the size I needed and really thin.

Debbie S
06-18-2004, 01:14 PM
Yes, flo, I'd love to skate in the show. I'm so glad you guys are having it this year. Why don't you come to edge class on Thursday nights at 7:30? Jeff is doing a good job giving skaters different things to work on, depending on their level.

I wear a 5 1/2 in shoes and a 4 in skates. I recently discovered that a 7-year-old that I skate with wears blades only 1/2 inch smaller than mine. :lol: Actually, I wear the same size as Sasha Cohen, as I learned at my boot fitting last year at Skater's Paradise. 8-)

I've never heard of clear clouds - are they sold online?

I'm wondering if CanAmSk8ter's theory about it being heat rash is right, since what I have on my ankles doesn't really itch that much (thank goodness) and doesn't appear to be any worse today. And I noticed it after skating Monday and wearing them under my tights for a couple of hours afterward as I did an errand. I'll see how my ankles are after tomorrow's practice.