View Full Version : Why are flesh-colored tights not flesh-colored? :)

daisies
06-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Does anyone know if any company (in the U.S.) makes skin-colored tights that aren't super-dark suntan? I'm sorry, but even tan people aren't that color! LOL!

My competition dress is sleeveless, and my arms are pale. All the tights I have found are too dark! Help! TIA!

vesperholly
06-12-2004, 09:47 PM
Capezio makes tights in many different skin tones.

www.capeziodance.com

daisies
06-12-2004, 09:55 PM
Capezio makes tights in many different skin tones.

www.capeziodance.com

Excellent! Thanks!

Another tights-related question: Anyone tried Mondor's or Capezio's "compression" tights?

TashaKat
06-13-2004, 12:29 AM
They are flesh coloured ...... for smoked salmon!!!

I use Danskin who do lots of different colours (I've NEVER had salmon coloured from them at all!), everything from 'light toast' to darker colours.

I've not tried the compression tights but have to say that the only Mondor's that I like are the thick woolly, OTB/Stirrup/footless tights, the thinner ones have always run/ripped on me!

I love Danskin as they are comfortable and last for ages (I've got some that are old enough to be embarrassed about 8O ) and my second choice would be Capezio (though I don't find them as soft and I don't like their 'waistband').

Mel On Ice
06-13-2004, 12:34 AM
I love my Danskins footed tights. Over the boot I like Mondor, although I dislike their footed tights.

SDFanatic
06-13-2004, 01:05 AM
I agree, I have some Danskins I would be afraid to say how old they are, they seem to have changed the tint over the years as my newer ones are darker then my older ones. I also prefer the texture of these compared to other brands.

I also agree about the mondor's, the woolies are great for cool rinks, the regular ones? I've put a run in two brand new pairs just putting them on! So yes, I'm not a big fan of them either and I also find them cooler then Danskins.

I have a couple pairs of Capezio, and they would be my second overall choice, I do like their color selection and styles however, much more then anyone else out there.

And It can be downright frustrating coming up with a good combination to match your skin color when you wear two pairs!

Steven

Mrs Redboots
06-13-2004, 06:00 AM
Some department stores here do tights that are thick enough to wear on the ice and don't have a hard line at the top of the leg. These come in a variety of colours. Of course, NBG if you want over-boot tights, but fine if you want footed ones.

Actually, the Mondor/Danskin lot are fine if you don't let them sell you shiny ones; it's the shiny ones that are so absolutely awful!

Another tip - if you have bare arms in your programme and your arms don't match your legs, get an old pair of tights and cut the feet off, then cut a hole in the crotch and wear them as sleeves!

daisies
06-13-2004, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the recs! I think I will end up with Capezio because I have yet to find a decent Danskin color. Good to know the Mondor tights run easily ... I won't invest in those. Though I, too, do like their wooly footless tights!

Another tip - if you have bare arms in your programme and your arms don't match your legs, get an old pair of tights and cut the feet off, then cut a hole in the crotch and wear them as sleeves!

LOL! Well, I prefer going sleeveless because I get hot, but I'll remember that tip!

TashaKat
06-13-2004, 01:27 PM

:lol: We used to do that with FISHNET, lacy and patterned tights when I was dancing for the 'street' look in jazz and contemporary classes (didn't go down so well in ballet :?? ) ...... I also remember wearing this look for skating a couple of times (when AM I going to get that prescription to become a grown up?)

Azlynn
06-13-2004, 10:13 PM
I'm totally with you there.

Why isn't there an 'Albino White' or 'I'm Scared of the Sun Pale'??? Nothing seems to go with my skin tone which is pretty much whiter than white. And I HATE when tights don't actually match skin tone, looks horrid.

mikawendy
06-14-2004, 11:26 AM
And It can be downright frustrating coming up with a good combination to match your skin color when you wear two pairs!
Steven

What I do to avoid "color buildup" when I wear two pairs of tights is to wear a lighter color tight underneath. I have a lot of tights left over from my ballet dancing days (my favorite of those are the Primasoft convertible foot tights in European pink). I usually wear those under a pair of lightweight footless Danskin (can't remember the model number) and the color is just about right. I like this setup because I can roll up the legs to take off my knee pads.

For warmth I often wear a pair of ballet tights under and a pair of woolly Mondor over. I also have a great pair of Gaynor Minden wool blend tights that are like Mondor woolies, only with a little more length in the waist and they're not ribbed. They're very sleek but get little balls of fuzz on them after a while. The Gaynor Minden come in black only, I think (I order them from http://www.discountdance.com)

NCSkater02
06-14-2004, 03:00 PM
I'm totally with you there.

Why isn't there an 'Albino White' or 'I'm Scared of the Sun Pale'??? Nothing seems to go with my skin tone which is pretty much whiter than white. And I HATE when tights don't actually match skin tone, looks horrid.

Are you by any chance a red head? I am and have a horrible time finding colors close to my skin tone. I wear Capezio Sun tan--it matches my freckles, so I guess it's close enough. I'm pretty fair--not quite Albino or Scared (those are good, by the way. Can I quote you?) but my oldest daughter is paler than I am, so she might qualify.

SDFanatic
06-14-2004, 07:22 PM
Ive seen the convertible foot tights at the dance store, but pondered if one would be bothered with the seam under the sole of the foot. Do you feel anything or find it uncomphertable? (I'm guessing not since you did not mention it) I wouldn't mind be able to take out my gel pads without taking everything else off. But I also wear a pair of ankle hose to prevent blisters and keep the gel pad in place.

My old Dnaskins are about three shades lighter then what they have now, and are quite pale in comparison to others. I'f I'm just skating I don't try to match it up to much, but it does help depending on the color of my outfit and such.

I still have a pair of the original Mondor woolie tights that are as thick as a sweater, a lot of bulk in them. For most rinks I will wear a regular footed pair of Danskins and a pair of footless Mondor woolies, usually plenty warm enough. If I'm going to skate on a hot day, or a rink that I know is warmer, I may wear a regular footed pair of Danskins and a pair of regular footless Mondor tights, or another pair of Danskins. I also very my top for either wearing velvet or lycra, or even short sleeves, if it's really warm, I'll wear my slinky outfit.

Steven

skatepixie
06-14-2004, 08:42 PM
Capezio Sun tan looks like you have a sun burn and tried to cover it up with too dark makeup...

TashaKat
06-15-2004, 12:19 AM
Ive seen the convertible foot tights at the dance store, but pondered if one would be bothered with the seam under the sole of the foot. Do you feel anything or find it uncomphertable? (I'm guessing not since you did not mention it) I wouldn't mind be able to take out my gel pads without taking everything else off. But I also wear a pair of ankle hose to prevent blisters and keep the gel pad in place.

I got some convertible's for dancing (when I had to go from ballet to contemporary (barefoot) and they were B***** uncomfortable PLUS they only came in 'salmon' at the time that I bought them ..... not, in my opinion, a very good idea at all!

NCSkater02
06-15-2004, 07:51 AM
Capezio Sun tan looks like you have a sun burn and tried to cover it up with too dark makeup...

Maybe on you. On me, as I said, it's pretty close to my freckles, therefore, it works for me.

What works for you?

jenlyon60
06-15-2004, 08:14 AM
I don't like the feel of the cut-outs in the convertables when I skate. Feels weird and I don't want to run the risk of getting rub-spots or blisters on my soles.

Some of my Mondor tights have faded over many washings and turned pinkish. Not the heavier weight ones, and not the thinner tan OTB Mondor tights with the hooks. My older Danskin heavier weight skating tights have faded also, but they've faded more just a lighter tan.

mikawendy
06-15-2004, 12:22 PM
Ive seen the convertible foot tights at the dance store, but pondered if one would be bothered with the seam under the sole of the foot. Do you feel anything or find it uncomphertable?
Steven

It doesn't bother me as long as I make sure to position the opening underneath my foot rather than off to one side. But I'm very used to this since I used them with pointe shoes--I could see how they might be distracting if one isn't used to them.

Part of the reason I use them is they are still in great shape, even after 10 years of use (not even losing their stretch yet). I figured, why spend $$ on a whole bunch new ones so long as I have a few pair of nice skating tights for testing/shows. :D

SDFanatic
06-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Ahh, thank you for the info, I've seen skaters who wear footless tights and have them pulled down below their ankle, and was thinking, that has to be uncomfortable!

I think the seam on the convertable tights are thinner then regular footless tights, and of course would be less noticable. As I mentioned, I wear ankle length hose and put my gel pad over these, they don't slip and slide then. And the additional layer of tights reduces blisters and would also keep from having a bare foot if I wore a convertable tight. It would have been nice also to wear something like this when I had pilates before skating as wearing all that was a bit much on some days.

Steven

PattyP
06-16-2004, 11:48 AM
My competition dress is sleeveless, and my arms are pale. All the tights I have found are too dark! Help! TIA!

I use spray on fake tan before my competitions to get my arms closer to the color of my tights. :oops:

daisies
06-16-2004, 02:08 PM
I use spray on fake tan before my competitions to get my arms closer to the color of my tights. :oops:

Good idea, but I think I am too pale to pull that off. Because then my face will be super pale compared to the rest of me, and that's never attractive! ;)

mikawendy
06-16-2004, 02:52 PM
I think the seam on the convertable tights are thinner then regular footless tights, and of course would be less noticable. As I mentioned, I wear ankle length hose and put my gel pad over these, they don't slip and slide then. And the additional layer of tights reduces blisters and would also keep from having a bare foot if I wore a convertable tight. It would have been nice also to wear something like this when I had pilates before skating as wearing all that was a bit much on some days.

Steven

Yes, the convertible tights don't really have a seam around the foot opening like footless tights do. It's more of a thin edge that is somehow created so it won't run. I also like them because after I skate, I can roll up the sweaty ankle/feet parts and put fresh socks on. It doesn't get rid of my stinky feet, but at least they don't get quite as ripe! :D

TashaKat
06-16-2004, 04:55 PM
Which convertibles do you use? I *think* that mine were Capezio (I initially got them for dancing aka ballet/jazz/contemporary) but I found them really uncomfortable and hated the different feeling (sticky v non sticky) on the bit of the foot that wasn't covered with the convertible bit ...... I was fine barefoot, I was fine in footed tights but I just couldn't get on with a half/half.

daisies
06-16-2004, 05:27 PM
Today I saw some Danskin skating tights in the color "light toast." It actually didn't look that bad in the package. Anyone used this color? The last time I used Danskin it was "suntan," and it was horrid!

Zoomana
06-16-2004, 06:26 PM
I wear Danskin heavyweight microfibre footed tights (Style 73) in Light Toast almost exclusively. However, the "Light Toast" has two generations of color, the older ones are far lighter than the newer ones. I'm not sure how to describe the difference, but I can see it clearly and have stocked up on the old ones. I am a pasty pale English-descent blonde, and salmon or suntan looks totally gross on me. I love these things, they don't run unless you totally ram a blade into them and let it rip. I wear them in the winter with dresses to work. I have some that are quite elderly, at least five years old!

I have also tried the convertible tights and they are great if you have a foot injury or a blister and need to check your foot between Zamboni runs or whatever. If your feet are tough enough from skating or walking around barefoot, you don't even notice the hole at the bottom (I used to wear a small knee high under them but no longer need to). I also like the one that's a body tight and pulls all the way up and has straps (made by???? I got it on discountdance.com) because if you are bosom-y, it smooths everything out and there's no waistline line under a dress. Also great if you have a sort-of-sheer top that just needs a little something underneath.

Mrs Redboots
06-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Good idea, but I think I am too pale to pull that off. Because then my face will be super pale compared to the rest of me, and that's never attractive! ;)But surely you wear make-up several shades darker when on the ice than you would off it? One needs heavy make-up when skating (and I think some of the men I know would also look better with at least some!), rather like when on stage, or you just go to a blur..... I was talking about this with my coach, and he said "I hope you wear blusher, too!" as I am naturally rather pale.... the make-up base I use on-ice was one I bought by mistake and is several shades too dark for me normally.

daisies
06-17-2004, 02:11 PM
But surely you wear make-up several shades darker when on the ice than you would off it? One needs heavy make-up when skating (and I think some of the men I know would also look better with at least some!), rather like when on stage, or you just go to a blur..... I was talking about this with my coach, and he said "I hope you wear blusher, too!" as I am naturally rather pale.... the make-up base I use on-ice was one I bought by mistake and is several shades too dark for me normally.

I don't wear darker colors, but I wear brighter or deeper colors on my cheeks, eyes and lips. Certainly not darker base -- YIKES! Not to offend anyone, but as a self-professed cosmetics *freak* :), I couldn't even fathom wearing a darker base than my skin tone, because then your face doesn't match your neck, and no matter how much you blend you will still have a line of demarcation between your face and neck. :(

No, the solution for me is to get the correct color tights. If I end up changing the color of my arms, then my face, then my neck, I will end up looking like a rainbow! LOL!!!

TashaKat
06-17-2004, 04:17 PM
I wear Danskin heavyweight microfibre footed tights (Style 73) in Light Toast almost exclusively ......

Me too! Me too! Those are my embarrassingly old ones (almost vintage!)

I have also tried the convertible tights and they are great if you have a foot injury or a blister and need to check your foot between Zamboni runs or whatever. If your feet are tough enough from skating or walking around barefoot, you don't even notice the hole at the bottom (I used to wear a small knee high under them but no longer need to).

I must be a princess (as in Princess and the Pea fairy story) as I have definite trotters from dance, pointe work and skating (I wear quadra bond Harlicks) AND I'm always walking around barefoot ..... I find the convertibles SO uncomfortable, I wanted to like them, I really did! :frus: :evil: :cry: 8O