View Full Version : Adult Pacific Coast Sectionals

jazzpants
06-11-2004, 10:16 AM
Okay, I see the other two threads and I just have to know.... where is the Adult Pacific Coast Sectionals held for 2005?

Thanks in advance for the info!

w.w.west
06-11-2004, 11:23 AM
A site has not been chosen yet. It should be very soon. I'll post something here as soon as it is known.

jazzpants
06-15-2004, 01:26 AM
Judging from the fact that last year's is in LA and the year before in SF, my guess is that next year's will probably either be in Utah, or Neveda (VAGAS BABY!!! I want that rink that's in a hotel!) :mrgreen: Hmmm? It's been since 2001 that it's in Oregon, so that's a possibility too.

I'm hoping it will be in SF again, since everyone seemed to have had fun when it was there. But I won't hold my breath on that. :roll:

manleywoman
06-15-2004, 11:44 AM
jazzpants...do you think it would be lame of me to join Pacifics so I have a better chance of qualifying, like your coach Jay did? II;ve moved to Chicago, but am still a member of my east coast club. My coach says that I should either stay in Easterns with my current club or join Pacifics because the Mids girls are too good! :mrgreen: Though I would love an excuse to go to Colorado Springs.

Whatever I decide, I need to do it fast, since the deadline approaches.

My sister just moved between LA and San Diego...perhaps I should join a club there so I can skate on club ice while visiting!

vesperholly
06-15-2004, 01:59 PM
As far as I know, the majority of clubs in SoCal do not have private ice. I think they cooperate with rinks and use public sessions designated for freestyle. So I wouldn't let that dictate your decision.

I'm not jazzpants, but... Lame to join an "easier" qualifying round? I don't think so. Pacific Coasts needs more skaters! You're going to have to fly wherever you decide to compete, so why not go to Coasts? I'd like to see you in NYC but I'd rather see you in Kansas City! :)

daisies
06-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Hi Manleywoman ... I'm politely butting in for jazzpants, if you don't mind! :)

It is entirely up to you as to what you choose to do, but there are several factors to consider. One is that your choice may backfire. You never know from year to year who is entering what competition. Last year Jay chose to do Mids so that he could be guaranteed to qualify, basing it on the previous years' numbers. Turned out, though, he could have stayed put in Pacific Coast because there ended up only being two competitors in that section.

You never know, too, who may be having the same thought as you ... your competitors in your current section or in the Midwestern section may make the switch too, and Pacific Coast could end up being the biggest one of all! LOL!

I think Pacific Coast was besieged with injuries this year. IIRC, at least two ladies withdrew from Masters. Some others who usually enter did not enter this year for one reason or another but from what I understand will be back next year. But you never know until that starting order is posted!

Good luck to you on whatever you choose to do.

AshBugg44
06-15-2004, 02:25 PM
I think that they should be in Oregon, but hey, I'm biased. ;)

manleywoman
06-15-2004, 06:49 PM
...your choice may backfire. You never know from year to year who is entering what competition. Last year Jay chose to do Mids so that he could be guaranteed to qualify, basing it on the previous years' numbers. Turned out, though, he could have stayed put in Pacific Coast because there ended up only being two competitors in that section.

You never know, too, who may be having the same thought as you ... your competitors in your current section or in the Midwestern section may make the switch too, and Pacific Coast could end up being the biggest one of all! LOL!

My coach told me to consider that too, because it happened to one of her students! So maybe I should just stay Easterns. It could totally backfire on me if I went Pacifics.

And as it turned out, if I had switched to Mids last year after moving, I might have qualified because I was told it was a bit of a splatfest, while Easterns was incredibly tough (though, again, the previous year it was vice-versa: Easterns was a splatfest and Mids was a good competition).

I only consider it because the past two years in a row Pacifics has only had 4-5 women in Masters (though three years ago they had 8), while East and Mids has consistantly had 12-17 the past four years. And any of the top 6 or 7 of those Easts or Mids women would be deserving to qualify, and in fact some have qualified in the past.

I fell a bit funny switching regions just for the sake of qualifying, but my coach told me to get over it, since the kids do it all the time. And a judge told me the same thing, LOL!

Mids has just soooo many strong women, I think my chances are the worst there. But if I could get the 2flip and 2lutz, I'd be more competitive. All my other jumps, and a few 2-2 combos are solid. But with three ladies in Mids alone attempting through 2axel, plus several other women who are strong skaters through 2lutz, it makes it a tough proposition to qualify. Obviously there are great girls in the other regions too, just not as many.

But I really would love a trip to Colorado Springs....

jazzpants
06-16-2004, 02:53 AM
jazzpants...do you think it would be lame of me to join Pacifics so I have a better chance of qualifying, like your coach Jay did? II;ve moved to Chicago, but am still a member of my east coast club. My coach says that I should either stay in Easterns with my current club or join Pacifics because the Mids girls are too good! :mrgreen: Though I would love an excuse to go to Colorado Springs.

Whatever I decide, I need to do it fast, since the deadline approaches.

My sister just moved between LA and San Diego...perhaps I should join a club there so I can skate on club ice while visiting!Well, I can't say about joining specifically LA and San Diego skating clubs, since being able to go to club ice when you're visiting your sister may backfire b/c of the crowds... But...

I don't think it's lame for you to go join a Pacific Coast skating club just so you can qualify for Nationals. But as daisies says, do keep in mind that the women who might not have come back last year to compete at Sectionals for whatever reason might come back in 2005. That's the risk you have to take.

You could always join MY skating club and come visit SF!!! :P

w.w.west
06-24-2004, 10:04 PM
Pacific Coast Adult Sectionals will be in Tacoma, WA. Dates are March 11-13.

jazzpants
06-25-2004, 10:53 AM
Pacific Coast Adult Sectionals will be in Tacoma, WA. Dates are March 11-13.Thank you, w.w.west!!! :mrgreen:

Okay...what's good to see in Tacoma, WA (besides the ice, I mean...) Any good restaurants? Good deals on hotels and flights for someone on a budget? (*sigh* Ashley, I wish it was in Oregon too! Depending on which part of Oregon, I might have been able to ask politely if I could stay over at a friend's home in Oregon. And unfortunately, he lives 150 miles away from Tacoma WA.) :(