View Full Version : Adult Eastern Sectionals

LWalsh
06-11-2004, 07:52 AM
I just got a post from another newsgroup... Adult Easterns will be at Chelsea Piers in New York City. Feb 19-20 Yippee!!!

vesperholly
06-11-2004, 08:34 AM
Cool! I haven't been to NYC since 1997! Maybe I'll take an extra day off and explore a little before or after the competition.

I'll probably fly since it's 8 hrs from me and parking in NYC is likely horrific. I wonder what the official hotel will be, I hope it's close to Chelsea Piers so I won't have to rent a car.

mskater
06-11-2004, 08:45 AM
Excellent news!!! I've always wanted to skate at that rink:]

Hey Vesper, we'll have to seek out an H&M;]

vesperholly
06-11-2004, 10:46 AM
Hey Vesper, we'll have to seek out an H&M;]
:::thud:::
vesperholly passes out in anticipation of the megamonster-sized H&Ms that are sure to populate NYC

sk8pics
06-11-2004, 11:28 AM
Do you know if that will be in conjunction with the Winter Classic that they usually have at Chelsea Piers? Or in place of? I had a great time this past February at the Winter Classic and was hoping to again next year!

Pat

LWalsh
06-11-2004, 01:01 PM
Yes it is in conjunction with the Winter Classic

HelenC
06-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Hi, It's Helen Chan from Sky Rink in New York City. The Eastern Sectionals will be combined with our annual Adult New York Winter Classic. The non-qualifying events will be open to foreign skaters, and there will be young adult categories as well. There are lots of friendly adult skaters at our rink, and the club is very supportive. We're looking forward to making it a nice event for everyone. I hope you all could join us!

sk8pics
06-11-2004, 01:06 PM
YAY! That will be a great event to go to. Thanks for the information Helen.

Pat

vesperholly
06-11-2004, 01:09 PM
Excellent, it will be combined with an adult competition rather than a kiddie one! 8-) I'll be there with bells on!

Just wondering, will you be calling the non-qual events "Adult Eastern Sectionals Non-Qualifying" or "Winter Classic"? Quite frankly I prefer the former. :)

Debbie S
06-11-2004, 01:35 PM
Wow- cool! Depending on my school schedule, I may try to skate there. I used to live in NYC, actually, and skated once at Chelsea Piers. However, that was before I started lessons so I could really only skate forward and had to use the wall to stop me. :)

Is it possible to "skate up" at Sectionals? I know you can't skate up at ANs, but I don't think sectionals is considered a qualifying event at the Bronze level, is it? And I don't have to enter ANs to skate at sectionals, do I?

Stormy
06-11-2004, 01:52 PM
Debbie, nope, you don't have to enter ANs to do Sectionals, and Bronze is Non-Qual anyways. As for skating up, IIRC you can, I know I have at Sectionals before.

WOOHOO!! This is going to be a kick-booty Sectionals! Mskater and Vesperholly....so much shopping!!! Wheeeeee!

mskater
06-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Bring on the shopping...and food; technically this won't be my first Sectionals so maybe I'll be "calm" enough to actually eat this time;]

vesperholly
06-11-2004, 03:25 PM
You'd better bring a backup pair of blades, though! :lol:

I can't help being a tad bit sad that it's not in Florida as rumored... NYC in February isn't quite as nice as Florida. Let's just hope there is no snowstorm.

manleywoman
06-11-2004, 06:01 PM
NYC in February isn't quite as nice as Florida.

At least it's not as far north as Syracuse!

Now this muddles my decision a bit...having just moved last year from DC to Chicago, I stayed a member of WFSC in DC so I could compete Easterns, since i hadn't lived in Chicago long enough to make a decision about which club to join here. Plus I LOVE my WFSC and Easterns friends, and there aren't as many adult skaters here. But lately I've been thinking of joining a Chicago club since I live here after all, and therefore competing at Mids. (LOL, I'm still considering joining Pacifics since they have fewer competitors!!) But i still haven't investigated any of the clubs here much, being so busy. i need to get moving on that.

But NYC is enticing. I've always wanted to skate at Chelsea Piers.

Here's a question...if I become an independant member of the USFSA and choose NOT to join any club, can I choose in which region I want to skate, or do they place me by my zip code?

NoVa Sk8r
06-11-2004, 06:52 PM
I hope I can make it to Sectionals--Chelsea Piers is so great to skate in. I skated there in the Mid-Atlantic Championship in Sept. '02 (but that comp no longer has adult events--tsk tsk).

Besides, I'm a NY Yankee!

daisies
06-11-2004, 07:33 PM
Here's a question...if I become an independant member of the USFSA and choose NOT to join any club, can I choose in which region I want to skate, or do they place me by my zip code?

Hi, I looked it up in the rulebook for you! As an individual member, you have to compete in the section in which you reside:

CR 8.03 Individual members, if residing in the United States, shall enter the championship of the section or region in which their legal residence is located. If residing outside the United States, they shall enter the championships held in the section or region whose boundary is nearest to the city of their legal residence. If the competitor is under twentyone (21) years of age, their legal residence shall be presumed to be that of their parents or guardian for the purposes of this rule.

HTHS!

RNsk8r
06-12-2004, 10:36 AM
Wow, this is great. I did the winter open last year, and have toyed with the idea of doing sectionals, and now I can do both. My last year as a young adult! The Winter Open was a great competition last year, I would highly recommend it to any adult skater who can make it. Lots of fun, and Chelsea Piers is a great rink to skate at; beautiful views out of the windows. See you all there.

jazzpants
06-12-2004, 08:12 PM
AUUUUUGH!!!! I should have joined an Eastern skating club!!! I would LOVE to skate at Chelsea Piers. (Plus, hubby and most of my in-laws will probably come and cheer me on...) :frus:

Ah, well!!! I have to test Bronze Moves and FS this year anyway. Kinda hard to do that if I belong to another skating club where I would have to fly to get to. :P

daisies
06-12-2004, 09:34 PM
AUUUUUGH!!!! I should have joined an Eastern skating club!!! I would LOVE to skate at Chelsea Piers. (Plus, hubby and most of my in-laws will probably come and cheer me on...) :frus:

You don't have to represent the Eastern section to compete in any of the open events at the competition. That only matters in the qualifying events. In fact, anyone could enter all three sectionals in the open events.

So go to NY!!!

vesperholly
06-12-2004, 09:46 PM
AUUUUUGH!!!!Ah, well!!! I have to test Bronze Moves and FS this year anyway. Kinda hard to do that if I belong to another skating club where I would have to fly to get to. :P
Someone already covered the competition thing, but you also don't have to test at your home club. You can test anywhere, most places just have an additional fee for being non-home club.

Raine
06-13-2004, 03:02 PM
I've done Winter Classic the last two years and really enjoyed it, so this is great news. I hope Easterns at Chelsea Piers is just as much fun.

Happy Skating,
Raine