View Full Version : Illusion Fabric

Trif Fan
06-09-2004, 05:54 PM
For those of you who make your own costumes, where do you get your illusion fabric? I'm going to start making my own dresses since I have such a hard time finding dresses that fit!

I love the stoning tips! I'm going to print out that thread for future use.

SDFanatic
06-09-2004, 09:54 PM
I would have to ask my seamstress again as to which type is the better one. From experience I would say to stay away from glistnet, it runs very easy and doesn't stretch a whole lot.

I'll let you know what my seamstress says,

Steven

jenlyon60
06-10-2004, 04:25 AM
make sure you pick a shade that works for your skin.

there's several places online that have multiple shades of illusion. See if you can order swatches to check to see what works for you... in the areas you plan to cover with illusion.

The absolute tackiest in fake flesh comes when the shade of fabric used is quite a bit different than the owner's actual flesh.

Canskater
06-10-2004, 08:07 AM
Hi:

The "illusion" fabric you choose has a lot to do with exactly what you going to do with it. For instance, if one were to make a costume such as # 31/32 here

http://www.rest-elegance.com/english/kostum_figur/index_2001.phtml#1

the dress / bodysuit would be constructed in what's called "powernet", which was originally manufactured for use in undergarments such as girdles and bras.
The garment is then embellished with custom appliques .... which provide coverage, color, sparkle, etc.

If one is simply looking to give the illusion of, for instance, a dress being really low cut, one can use flesh colored lycra in that area. From a distance, you get the effect you want.

Hope this has been helpful, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

-- sheilagh

Trif Fan
06-10-2004, 11:21 AM
Thanks for all the replies! :) Now, when I'm doing a search on the internet what parameters should I use? I tried using "illusion fabric" and all I got was bridal veils and fabric wall paper. :roll:

dooobedooo
06-10-2004, 12:10 PM
Try "powernet stretch lycra" or "powernet stretch spandex" (as three separate words, not in quotes).

Powernet is the strongest illusion fabric and has no sheen and a relatively open weave. There are other types, like glissinet, which are more translucent and much finer and lighter and have a sheen, but tear easily. Or you use flesh-coloured lycra, which is glossy, opaque and looks very unnatural.

You can use the fabrics in combination.

The example in the Russian photos appears to use single thickness powernet. You can also use a double thickness of powernet, which is not only very strong, but you can wear underwear underneath without showing through. Or you could use one layer of powernet with a finer illusion fabric on top. If you have a slim, toned body, and can manage with clear plastic bra straps, or no bra, you can use a single thickness of the finer fabric. The finer illusion fabric looks better for sleeves and shoulders, but it is more see-through. There are several different weights and stretches for the finer illusion fabric.

Edited to add: I also got a few more hits using "stretch nude fabrics".

Can anybody else recommend a favourite supplier?

Mrs Redboots
06-11-2004, 02:02 AM
The absolute tackiest in fake flesh comes when the shade of fabric used is quite a bit different than the owner's actual flesh.Yes, it was unfortunate when one of our skaters wore a second-hand dress at a competition some years ago now. The dress featured "nude" shoulders - which looked very odd on this particular young woman's Black skin! It actually didn't look bad, but it was a quite different look to what the designer probably meant.