View Full Version : need help with axel take-off

skatepanda06
06-08-2004, 08:04 PM
so, i know i can land the axel...ive done them before. but lately when ive been taking off, im making a HUGE skidd!! when i say huge...i mean it. it looks like a seven, and id say the skid is about 2in. thats not good. and its really the only thing holding me up from landing them too. i just loose so much speed when i take off like that. if anyone knows how to fix the problem, please tell me. id really like to land these things as my summer goal!

thanks so much
keep skating! :)

sk8er1964
06-08-2004, 08:12 PM
I skid too - there are different schools of thought about whether or not that is a good thing. However, if your skid looks like a "7", then you are severly pre-rotating. Try walk-throughs feeling the jump happening before the rotation. Or try waltz jumps, thinking about rolling up off the toe. Think "jump up, not around". I fought that for several months before I got over the pre-rotation....and it still shows up from time to time, even though I've owned the axel for over a year. It happens - just do your walk-throughs, feel the correct positions, and it will come back sooner than later. Good luck! :)

vesperholly
06-08-2004, 10:19 PM
Think about jumping outside the circle instead of into the rotation.

Raine
06-09-2004, 09:41 AM
I don't do an axel, but I got a good tip on the waltz jump once--to press the skating toe into the ice before take-off. I don't know if you can do this with a skid take-off. Is an axel different?

skatepanda06
06-09-2004, 11:05 AM
thanks so much for all your help
im going to try what everyone said today at practice

urg..its 90 out (which is not normal for maine)...and im going to be in a rink all day, where its 20.
oh well
hopefully ill land some!

NickiT
06-09-2004, 03:27 PM
I'm learning the axel on and off at the moment and my coach is actually encouraging me to skid on the take-off. In her opinion it's the one jump where you are allowed to skid.

Nicki

sk8er1964
06-10-2004, 01:04 PM
I don't do an axel, but I got a good tip on the waltz jump once--to press the skating toe into the ice before take-off. I don't know if you can do this with a skid take-off. Is an axel different?

Nope - even if you skid, you should still be able to see the toepick mark on the take-off. When you don't, look out - a bad fall is coming :evil: .

skatepanda06
06-10-2004, 08:52 PM
well i dont know exactly what helped...i think a mixture of what everyone said.

so heres what i found out:

i was pretty much just rushing the entire jump...i was trying to turn too soon. so my coach talked to me, and she said to swing my arms way back (like a wind-up) and they put them straight out a split-second before i jump. it helped. instead of going around, i went straight up and out.
walking through the steps really helped also. i got more of a feel for really rocking straight up on my toe.