View Full Version : help with food and skating!!

Sk8Bunny
06-07-2004, 10:57 PM
I've never gone thru this before, but this past week I had a major blowout with my best friend and also my longtime crush(he knows it too). I feel soooo down and low lately and all I want to do is eat! And when I do eat - Im not satsified! Im also sluggish with the excerise the past few days as well. Im used to eatting 3 small meals a day (cereal for breakfast, fruit for lunch, fruit for afternoon snack, and then small dinner). I was excerising 4 hours a day and feeling great about myself! HERES THE PROBLEM.... Im competiting in my biggest skating competition to date in 2 weeks! I know I can't be doing this to myself right now (eatting out of control and not keeping up with my training). How can I stop? I ate a piece of cake and 2 cups of ice cream today! Plus other food. Im not used to so much sugar and stuff and its affecting my skating. But Im feeling so depressed right now cause its like my first big heart-break and all I wanna do is pamper myself. But I know I shouldnt be doing this to myself. How can I stop the cravings and large consumptions of junk food?? I dont want to gain weight and have it throw off my jumps and everything. I dont want to hurt my chances at doing well at my competition! :cry: Please give me advice! Thanks!

TashaKat
06-08-2004, 12:51 AM
Speak to you doctor. Eating only cereal, fruit and a small dinner isn't enough, exercising for 4 hours a day is too much (depending, of course, on what you're doing and the intensity). A cake and 2 cups of ice cream ISN'T 'large consumptions of junk food'. Even though you're a competitive skater you still need to eat healthily, from what you say you're going not eating enough to keep your body going long term. Yes, fruit is 'healthy', but even 'healthy' food can be bad if used wrongly.

Comfort eating is a consequence of you feeling low unless you're suffering from depression there's not much that you can do about your feelings except to work through them. A lot of people (especially females) turn to food in times of crisis.

As I said before, speak to the doctor, try and get referred to a nutritionist who can work out a healthy diet for the amount of work that you're doing.

Good luck

jenlyon60
06-08-2004, 04:25 AM
To add to what TashaKat said... expending energy (via skating) requires energy in (via food consumption). The amount of food you say you're eating is definitely too littlel for the amount of calories you're burning. The side effect of all this is a lack of energy (weakness) when a person is trying to work out (in your case, skate).

When a person is under stress or upset, food is a common outlet, and it's easiest to go for the sweets and greasy fats.

Try this... since you like fruit and presumably veggies, start substituting a piece of fruit or some fresh veggies for some of the "Junk" food. Gradually increase the substitution so that instead of the junk, you're eating fruit and veggies.

But... the body likes the junk, so going cold turkey is not the best approach.

mary
06-08-2004, 06:41 AM
Keep a food journal and write down everything you eat when you eat it, not later. It will keep non-stop grazing down to a minimum, trust me.

Also, ice cream is not so bad. It has calcium, don't forget. Try eating healthy snacks like non-buttered popcorn, a piece of toast with just a little peanut butter and a glass of milk. Get rid of junk food in the house so you won't be tempted. Tell yourself you can eat after the competition is done. Don't ruin all your hard work that you've done so far.

dooobedooo
06-08-2004, 07:39 AM
Sounds like you have PMT to me (pre-menstrual tension).

Seriously!

In a couple of days you will be back to your normal self. PMT causes lethargy, constipation, sugar and chocolate cravings, nerviness, depression. Best solution is some sort of rhythmic aerobic exercise like walking; plus eat to satisfy your carb craving; plus, eat to keep your digestion healthily moving.

This means vegetable unrefined carbohydrates (like a vegetable stew with potatoes, carrots, parnips, maybe some barley, etc); and maybe beans (baked beans with a jacket potato? bean salad with brown rice?) or prunes to keep your digestion active; also, simple fruit like apples and pears (maybe a fruit salad?). Also, drink plenty of water.

Raine
06-08-2004, 11:20 AM
Hi, Sk8Bunny!

You sound like a very disciplined person, so you probably feel like you're out of control. Yet when you're feeling badly, you don't want to deprive yourself, and as jenlyon60 says, going cold turkey probably won't work. OTOH you've trained hard and want to skate well in competition.

What has helped me in the past is to cut the unhealthy food by half and substitute healthier snacks. For instance, I love nuts and trail mix, so I replace the muffins, etc. with trail mix. Nuts are fattening, but I don't need to eat a ton to feel satisfied. I also drink water and my favorite hot teas. Brushing my teeth helps me to stop overindulging too. The last couple of days I've been indulging in frosted cake, chocolate, muffins, etc. but I've decided to nip this in the bud starting TODAY. :)

Keeping a food diary is a good idea; it'll help you to feel more in control.

Good luck in your competition. Please let us know how you're doing. Sounds like you're in a lot of pain, and I hope you feel better soon.

Cheers,
Raine

Sk8Bunny
06-08-2004, 12:33 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! Today I made myself go to swim practice like I was doing on my 'old' schedule and just getting out and excerising(aside from skating) really helped brighten my mood a bit. Its so hard getting your heartbroken by a guy(especially since its my first heartbreak and he was also my best friend!) but I refuse to jeopardize my skating just because of a guy. I dont want to give him that satsifaction lol. Anways, Im gonna try what many of you suggested- not go cold-turkey, but gradually replace the 'junk' with fruit(which I do love!). Thanks again :)

PattyP
06-09-2004, 07:20 PM
It also sounds like you may need to add some additional protien to your diet. I try to have a little protien along with a carbohydrate for every snack and meal. That will help to level out your blood sugar. If you eat carbs alone, fruit for example, your blood sugar will jump and then drop later. It's that drop that leads to the sugar cravings. Plus the protien will help to heal muscles that are fatigued from the amount of training that you are doing.

You're right in telling yourself not to give him the satisfaction of disrupting your training! Hang in there, it will get easier with time.

Sk8Bunny
06-09-2004, 08:58 PM
It also sounds like you may need to add some additional protien to your diet. I try to have a little protien along with a carbohydrate for every snack and meal. That will help to level out your blood sugar. If you eat carbs alone, fruit for example, your blood sugar will jump and then drop later. It's that drop that leads to the sugar cravings. Plus the protien will help to heal muscles that are fatigued from the amount of training that you are doing.

What are some foods(including snack foods) I can eat that will give me good protein(aside from steak, lean beef, etc)?

jazzpants
06-10-2004, 01:35 AM
What are some foods(including snack foods) I can eat that will give me good protein(aside from steak, lean beef, etc)?Milk, cheese, nuts, peanut butter, eggs, chicken, tuna, chick peas, kidney beans, soy milk (soy protein)

Hope that helps...

sk8pics
06-10-2004, 05:55 AM
In addition to what jazzpants mentioned, I use soybean nuts on my salads or as a snack at times.

Good luck!

Pat

mikawendy
06-10-2004, 12:24 PM
In addition to what jazzpants mentioned, I use soybean nuts on my salads or as a snack at times.

Good luck!

Pat

Also, fresh or frozen soybeans (edamame) are good as a snack--I saute mine in garlic and olive oil first, to add a little flavor.

I also love tofu as a snack--especially with a little soy sauce or Asian peanut sauce for flavor.

jazzpants
06-11-2004, 01:22 AM
Also, fresh or frozen soybeans (edamame) are good as a snack--I saute mine in garlic and olive oil first, to add a little flavor. Mmmmmm!!!! Edamame!!! :yum: Just had some tonight... boiled in salty water -- is pretty good as is. Of course, I take it out of the pod and eat only the pea! ;)