View Full Version : Just Signed Up For My First Adult Skating Week -- Yikes!

montanarose
06-07-2004, 10:57 PM
Today I took a deep breath and signed up for the Aspen (CO) Adult Summer Skating Week (August 9-13) and booked a hotel room for the week (my husband had offered this to me as my birthday present but I procrastinated doing anything about it, thinking that it was over my head). But the lure was too strong, so now I'm committed (or at least should be :lol: ).

I've never attended something like this and even though the skating director there tells me that, at my pre-bronze to bronze-ish adult level, I'll be right in line with most of the other attendees, I'm apprehensive (and clueless) about what to expect. Will I embarass myself? Will I be able to keep up with the demands? How many hours a day will I be expected to skate?

Anne Margrethe Frei (she of the "Magic Of Style" video series) will be one of the guest instructors; I don't know who else will be there but I rather imagine it will be primarily local instructors -- not that there's anything wrong with that!

I would really appreciate hearing from any of you adults out there who have done an adult skating week/camp/whatever. I want to get the most out of this experience that I possibly can (obviously, if there's anyone out there who has attended the Aspen Adult Week that would entitle you to extra credit :bow: ).

Ellen

Hannahclear
06-08-2004, 06:28 PM
I really want to do this someday when I have the money. Congrats, don't worry and have an AWESOME time!

Terri C
06-08-2004, 06:34 PM
Two summers ago, I attended a Adult Skating week in Hillsbourough, NC. We were on the ice from 10am-12:30 pm, with a off ice class from 12:30-1pm.
At the end of each day, I was tired. It was also the hottest summer in years and with my car AC not functioning properly, trying to get out and see nearby Durham (which is where I stayed) was a challenge.
One question though- did you just get a regular hotel room or a suite with a kitchenette? I got a room at one of those extended stay places. When I arrived, I just went to the grocery store and bought food for the week and saved $$$ eating out- not to mention the fact that if you're tired, you might not want to go out.
This year though, I'll be joining a few others on this board ( you know who you are) for the USFS Adult Training Camp in NJ!

Hope my feedback helped!

kisscid
06-09-2004, 04:38 PM
Please let me know how it goes. I wanted to go to it but I couldn't get any time off of work. Aspen is great. I did a summer skating camp there about 20 years ago. If I win big in the lottery I may still show up there (Don't hold your breath LOL)
Cid

twokidsskatemom
07-27-2006, 12:59 AM
Edited as I noticed how old the thread was !!!
is anyone going this year ?

montanarose
07-27-2006, 11:04 AM
Unfortunately, I will not be there (Aspen Adult Week) after all. :cry: I attended the 2004 and 2005 sessions but will have to miss out this year due to a variety of family and other demands. Don't you just hate it when Real Life interferes with skating? :lol:

Good luck to anyone who is lucky enough to be there this year! I'd really love to hear your reports.

Ellen

ouijaouija
07-27-2006, 01:17 PM
that sounds really fun, its just your nerves, you said it yourself, you'd be just as good as the others, if not better. Plus it about loving skating right!

have fun!