View Full Version : off-season off-ice training.... ideas for the cash-challenged needed!

alhrayth
06-07-2004, 09:43 AM
The rink where I used to skate with the adult synchro team has closed for summer, and even if I can't exactly say that I'm already totally off-ice since I'll be able to skate every monday ( :D starting tonight!! ) at another rink with an ice dance club (ah! if only I had a partner!) till July 5th, I am starting to think about what else can I do to keep me in particular my leg muscles in shape (I have problems with my knees, I NEED the muscles in my leg to be strong to keep them well-aligned). I don't have enough cash to join a gym (the fees are simply absurd!), so I will probably mostly have to do something on my own (which is fine by me, I find it relaxing). I was thinking about trying something like pilates, or ballet related... I like the idea of Pilates being centered on core muscles - which I need to work on; and I'm soooo fascinated by the idea of something ballet-related - how I wish I had studied it when I was younger.... any good suggestions? Titles, books, vhs, websites.... Thank you!

slusher
06-07-2004, 08:45 PM
To maintain thighs - ride a bike. I just got back from 40 minutes down the highway and back. My thighs feel as if I just finished a stroking session. Coach has stressed that I keep up my aerobic fitness over the summer. I'm doing belly dance along with the biking, it's a blast! I never knew I had so many muscles in my abdomen. (or didn't have any muscles). It's at the local community center, $4 a class.

Michigansk8er
06-08-2004, 02:59 PM
I agree with the cycling suggestion. It's a great compliment to skating.

If you want to try ballet, see if you can get a class started. Several adult skaters in my area did that one summer. We hired our own instructor (skating coach who also teaches ballet), negotiated an hourly rate, then found enough students to keep the cost per person down.

Good luck, and if you get out on a bike, check your area to see if there is a local bike club. Bike clubs offer group rides, that make cycling more fun. Don't forget your helmet!

2axel_hopeful
06-08-2004, 03:04 PM
there's a great martial art that comes from france and is based on ballet. It's great, but I dont remember what its called!!! :frus: :roll: 8O rrg! can somebody help me here :lol:
I dunno that might be for you.

Well hope I've helped (in my own way :roll:)

Cheers!

Sk8Bunny
06-08-2004, 03:18 PM
there's a great martial art that comes from france and is based on ballet. It's great, but I dont remember what its called!!! :frus: :roll: 8O rrg! can somebody help me here :lol:

capoeira???? just a guess lol.

backspin
06-08-2004, 04:55 PM
there's a great martial art that comes from france and is based on ballet.

Plie, KICK!! tendu......WHACK!! First position, releve, and..... BAM!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry, couldn't resist.... :twisted:

alhrayth
06-09-2004, 02:04 AM
Thank you all for answering...

This weekend I plan on getting my bike fixed and I wish to be able to get to work by bike instead of car - it would be 6km in the morning and 6km in the afternoon. Two years ago I was rollerblading everyday, but after the unbearably hot summer we had last year, I can re-consider that option only if we don't get that hot again (last season I managed to go only twice, after 9pm with a team-mate).

On another board some girls suggested some vhs, like pilates or the new york city ballet workout... I think it might be worth a try, to have something to do at home, not having to cope with a class' fixed hours...

viennese
06-19-2004, 05:09 PM
I live in very urban area, so cycling is not possible except round and round in a park, or indoors at a gym.

I joined a gym that had Pilates instructors who did group classes on mats. There are a few VHS tapes that guide you through these same workouts. Pilates is really good for increasing flexibility and strength.

jp1andOnly
06-19-2004, 05:29 PM
i have a small gym in my apt building that has a couple of bikes, a treadmill and a weight machine. I has a few other things as well

I've been going to our wee gym 3 times a week to do 25-30 mins of biking a week. I also combine that with sit ups and LOTS LOTS LOTS of stretching as my coach mentioned I should be trying to increase my flexibility.

I also do different weight exercises on the weight machine that will hopefully build my core strength up

But since its stifling hot here and the heat is not going away, the sweating I do from just walking down the street won't hurt :)

My ex roomie is a model and personal trainer. He is super nice and I ran into him on the street the other day. I mentioned what I was up to and he said once he came back to town from doing a shoot he'd sit down with me and show me some stuff that I should be doing, especially when it comes to weight training. Yes, he'll do it for free. The guy is gorgeous, AND super sweet. Too bad he's taken ladies :)

evie464
06-20-2004, 07:28 AM
Sk8bunny... good guess! But Capoeira is actually from Brazil!

I've never heard of one from france... hmm... *googles*

I'd definitely recommend getting a VHS or DVD of some sort, and lifting weights in both your upper and lower body. The NYC ballet workout is supposed to be phenomenal, but I haven't used it before (mostly because I'm out of cash, too ;) ) As a ballet dancer, I really like using ballet tapes at home (holding on to my kitchen counter)... I personally like David Howard's tapes. If you get the basic tapes, he does a decent amount of explaining, but you're on your own as far as remembering to keep your spine straight, butt under, and feet pointed.

Of course, you could always get a "buns of steel" "abs of steel" "thighs of steel" video out of your library and let tammy lynn whip you into shape ;)

Or create your own workout, centering on the quads and buttocks, with a lot of squats and stuff.

Good luck!

EVIE