View Full Version : stoning dresses?

backspin
06-05-2004, 10:57 PM
Okay, I've decided in lieu of a new test dress I'm going to take an old, plain one & add some sparkle.

When I stoned dresses for ballroom dance shows, I just glued them on w/ a really strong glue--but you always still lose some stones. Which *cannot* happen on the ice.

So, for a skating dress, what kind of stones do you use & how do you affix them? I want to use Swarovski crystals, since they sparkle so beautifully, so what kind should I get? If you have a good supplier, I'd appreciate that info too! :?:

jazzpants
06-05-2004, 11:58 PM
Okay, I've decided in lieu of a new test dress I'm going to take an old, plain one & add some sparkle.

When I stoned dresses for ballroom dance shows, I just glued them on w/ a really strong glue--but you always still lose some stones. Which *cannot* happen on the ice.

So, for a skating dress, what kind of stones do you use & how do you affix them? I want to use Swarovski crystals, since they sparkle so beautifully, so what kind should I get? If you have a good supplier, I'd appreciate that info too! :?:I don't know how to answer the question about where to get the stones, since I got me through one of the skating moms...but Swarovski crystal is typically what I've known people to use on their skating dresses.

As for the glue, I recommend going to a fabric store and get some fabric glue. When you attached the stone, put enough glue where the stone will be surrounded by the glue. (Don't worry! The fabric glue usually dries clear...)

Hope that helps!

jenlyon60
06-06-2004, 05:02 AM
Some people I know use hotfix crystals (which come with special glue on the bottom) and a device with brand name "BeJeweler".

I prefer to use normal Swarowski crystals and a glue called GemTac. Sometimes I use another glue by Aileen's that's made for gluing onto stretch fabric.

The dressmaker who does my competition/test dresses uses GemTac and normal (not hotfix) crystals.

The hotfix crystals often cost a bit more.

The main thing is to allow a good couple days after stone application for the glue to set completely. It will be surface dry within a couple hours, but even 12-15 hours later, if the wrong type of pressure is placed on the stones, they can relocate or come off.

There is often some stone leakage where the glue didn't hold properly (perhaps not enough was applied) or the fabric was put under more stretch/stress than when the stones were applied.

Hope this helps.

CanAmSk8ter
06-06-2004, 12:14 PM
I use a glue called E6000 that a friend's mom recommended. I have yet to lose a stone using it. The nice thing is that it dries really fast- I give it 12-24 hours before trying the dress on, but within a couple of hours you can move the dress around if you need to or even hang it up, as long as it's not right up against anything. I like this because I'm usually working on more than one dress at a time and it's great to be able to stone a dress and then an hour or two later move it somewhere so the ironing board is free to start another one.

This is where I get my stones. http://www.murielleroy.net I've never tried the hotfix ones, I just use the regular flatback stones. I tried teardrops for the first time recently and they were a real pain in the neck to sew on. But they look great, so I'm sure I'll end up doing it again at some point, :roll: especially since I have a few left over.

Michigansk8er
06-06-2004, 12:27 PM
I order my stones from Myco Artistic (http://www.mycoartistic.com), and have always had prompt service from them. My dressmaker recommends "Flexible, Stretchable Fabric Glue". It works great with stretch fabrics. I've never lost a stone.

When gluing the stones I have a pair of craft tweezers that have an angled tip. I put some of the glue on a paper plate, so I can dip the stones in the glue one at a time. Be sure to put wax paper inside your dress so the glue doesn't stick to the other side.

Good luck!

jazzpants
06-06-2004, 03:37 PM
Since Michigansk8er mentioned about tweezers, I would also add having some toothpicks on hand to help you adjust the stones around once you have put the stones on the right place.

I also would occasionally wash the glue off the tweezers so that you don't have all that glue to deal with. Thank goodness for all those years my parents made me use the chopsticks. I ended up using two toothpicks as chopsticks to get the stones adjusted right onto the glue spot. When I have too much glue on a pair, I just toss it and grab another pair of "chopsticks." :lol:

My fabric glue is Aleene's too, BTW.

Canskater
06-07-2004, 07:35 AM
Hi:

As someone who makes skating dresses, I would have to agree with the poster who recommended the E6000 glue. This is industrial strength stuff ... and I've never had anyone complain of a stone coming off. I highly recommend it.

-- sheilagh

LWalsh
06-07-2004, 08:28 AM
I use the Bejeweler with the hotfix stones. It's really quick and easy. You can do an whole gross in like an hour or less. When I'm finished, I try to pull off the stones so that any that didn't glue properly come off then and not on the ice.

Candleonwater
06-09-2004, 09:14 AM
I use the Bejeweller and the only time I have a problem is if I'm putting them on velvet, and I don't let the glue heat up enough. Other than that, they've been wonderful! And as far as what crystals to use, I've found (more often than not) that the Crystal AB's work well with most fabrics/colors.

Azlynn
06-09-2004, 06:42 PM
Does anyone have a Canadian supplier for rhinestones?

SDFanatic
06-09-2004, 09:51 PM
In my adventures in talking to people I too would have to agree with using E6000 glue, it seems to be the prefered one in the group.

As for applying stones, a friend of mine suggested using a toothpick and beeswax. Put some beeswax on the end of the toothpick and the stone will stick to it, works very good from what I hear.

Steven

Canskater
06-10-2004, 08:27 AM
Azlynn ..... where are you located?
I am in Toronto and buy my rhinestones on Queen Street .... I have one favored place for those .... a completely different one a few doors away for wonderful stoned buttons and other fasteners, etc. .....

-- sheilagh

Azlynn
06-10-2004, 10:55 PM
^See me writhe in jealousy. ;)

I'm in BC... make frequent trips to Victoria and Vancouver, and don't mind ordering from a Canadian company online. Trying to avoid the US due to customs waits and duties.

Chocobear65
03-06-2005, 12:05 PM
I am aslo interested in finding a Canadian supplier for Rhinestones, beads etc for embellishing Skating dresses. I am looking for either a place that I can order on line or by catalogue.

~Corinne

Debbie S
03-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Try this page on the Skateweb site: http://frogsonice.com/skateweb/business.shtml

There are some bead/stone suppliers listed. I don't know if any are from Canada, but it's worth a shot.

tazsk8s
03-06-2005, 06:34 PM
I'm working on stoning my daughter's freeskate dress right now, and ordered my stones from The Rhinestone Guy. www.rhinestoneguy.com is the web address. I've shopped around and they seem to have some of the better prices, and extremely fast shipping. I ordered my stones on a Thursday and they arrived on the following Monday.

Chocobear65
03-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Thank you for the links for beads and stones. Greatly appreciate the links.
Have a good day!
~Corinne