View Full Version : what are "waltz 8s?"

AstarZ41
06-05-2004, 02:00 PM
I was talking about MIF with one of the coaches today and she said the only thing I probably have never tried are the waltz 8s. She described them as a 3 turn hold step down 3 turn hold....while going around two circles. Can someone explain the steps in detail? Or is there like a diagram available anywhere online? :)

sk8pics
06-05-2004, 03:10 PM
The detailed diagrams are in the USFS rule book. When the new one comes out, for the 2004-05 season, you might want to get one if you plan to test and/or compete.

The waltz 8: Start off (for example) on a left forward outside edge, do a FO3, push onto a right back outside edge, turn and step forward onto your left forward outside edge. This should complete a circle and bring you back to your starting point. (Each step should be about a third of the circle.) Then step onto you RFO edge, and do the RFO3, step to LBO edge, then forward to the RFO edge and hold back to the starting position.

This is one of my favorite exercises to do starting with the right foot.

Pat

icedancer2
06-05-2004, 06:10 PM
This is correct, although you forgot to mention that each step should be held for 6 beats each. (like in dance)

icenut84
06-07-2004, 08:49 AM
This is correct, although you forgot to mention that each step should be held for 6 beats each. (like in dance)

What do you mean by each step? You mean the LFO edge is six beats, the BI edge after the turn is 6 beats, the Bo edge is six beats etc? Or you mean that it's six beats total for the pattern on each side? If so, how does it work out? (The only way I can think of it being is the LFO, LBI and RBO all have one beat, then the step to LFO is 3 beats, before you step to RFO.)

backspin
06-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Icedancer means that each step gets 6 beats, for a total of 18 beats per circle. Step FO edge for 6, then turn, push to BO edge for 6, step forward to FO edge for 6. The judges are looking for a "dance quality" to this move, or some sort of rhythm to make all the steps even.

The only thing is, some judges (I've been told) prefer to see the exit of the 3-turn held briefly to prove you are controlling it. I never counted the Waltz 8, just focused on making each edge equal, and making sure that the BO edge "caps" the circle & each edge gets 1/3 of the whole.

Raine
06-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Here's how I learned it:

RFO 3-turn lobe 3 beats
RBI 3-turn lobe 3 beats
LBO edge 6 beats
RFO edge back to center 6 beats
--
LFO 3-turn lobe 3 beats
LBI 3-turn lobe 3 beats
RBO edge 6 beats
LFO edge back to center 6 beats

Should have a waltz-y feel. I was told that judges really look at how well the BI lobe of the 3-turn is controlled.

Since I passed pre-pre MITF last year, I haven't done it, but it's a great exercise.

Happy Skating,
Raine

icedancer2
06-07-2004, 05:18 PM
Here's how I learned it:

RFO 3-turn lobe 3 beats
RBI 3-turn lobe 3 beats
LBO edge 6 beats
RFO edge back to center 6 beats
--
LFO 3-turn lobe 3 beats
LBI 3-turn lobe 3 beats
RBO edge 6 beats
LFO edge back to center 6 beats

Should have a waltz-y feel. I was told that judges really look at how well the BI lobe of the 3-turn is controlled.

Since I passed pre-pre MITF last year, I haven't done it, but it's a great exercise.

Happy Skating,
Raine

Yes, this is what I meant. The three-turn is done on 3 (or 4, I guess) like in dance. Definitely needs to show control after the turn before stepping down for the BO edge.

Thanks for clearing that up, Raine.

AstarZ41
06-07-2004, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the description! I get it now :) I'll definetly try it next time I'm on the ice....it doesn't *sound* too bad..