View Full Version : Summer Skating Goals

jenlyon60
06-02-2004, 08:40 AM
Time to set summer skating goals, since my rink will be cutting over to the summer schedule in a couple weeks. Here's mine

1. Crunch on Adult Bronze MIF and test them.

2. Start working again on the Tango with goal to test it in October.

3. (Maybe) re-train European Waltz to test it standard track. (I tested and passed it Adult track 3 weeks before the solos were killed.) I have my other 2 Pre-Silvers as Standard track from years ago.

4. Non-ice... work with a personal trainer to strength and tone upper body.

NoVa Sk8r
06-02-2004, 09:29 AM
–Hunker down and take my silver moves before my coach kills me!!!

–Get bigger and stronger so pairs lifts are bigger and stronger—and so Loops can eat as much chocolate as possible w/out my objecting :)

–Return to working on doubles (all those threads have inspired me!)

–Prepare for a busy competition schedule in late summer/early fall

–Graduate from "faux pairs" to real pairs

LoopLoop
06-02-2004, 09:53 AM
–Get bigger and stonger so pairs lifts are bigger and stonger—and so Loops can eat as much chocolate as possible w/out my objecting :)

Yippee! All the chocolate I want... especially if we're going to Hershey. :P

What do we have to do to graduate?

quarkiki2
06-02-2004, 09:56 AM
Goals for the summer:
1. Skate faster and with more power both forwards and backwards
2. Do FI mohawks and forward 3-turns correctly (instead of just doing them)
3. Get in the air with waltz jump
4. Get higher in the air with 1/2 flip
5. Strengthen core muscles and do more off-ice training
6. BEND MY KNEES more and GET MY FEET CLOSER TOGETHER
7. Do all of my synchro routine correctly and confidently
8. Learn 1-foot spin
9. Get my right spirals as high as my left
10. Learn back spiral

MQSeries
06-02-2004, 11:12 AM
–Hunker down and take my silver moves before my coach kills me!!!

What pair moves are you doing now, and does your coach coaches pairs also?

NoVa Sk8r
06-02-2004, 11:16 AM
I'm doing the FS moves with my singles coach; I have another coach for pairs.

There are no pairs moves tests, just straight pairs tests. And according to the rules, my partner and I don't need to take any pairs tests. She's a bona fide adult silver skater (I'm bronze), and that's good enough to place us in the silver pairs.

flo
06-02-2004, 11:47 AM
NoVa,
I'm glad the new pair rules work out for you two! I can skate silver, gold or masters pairs - depending on the partner.

NoVa Sk8r
06-02-2004, 12:41 PM
What do we have to do to graduate?

We need a true-to-form, blown-in-the-bottle, and genuine death spiral!

NoVa Sk8r
06-02-2004, 12:46 PM
NoVa,
I'm glad the new pair rules work out for you two! I can skate silver, gold or masters pairs - depending on the partner.

Flo, how is this possible? I thought depending on your status, that there was only a leeway of 2 levels? That is to say, the partner can always be one level lower. So, for example, if you're gold level, your partner can be silver (or gold), and you'd compete in gold. Or if you were gold and your partner were masters, you'd skate in masters.

Is it because you're relying on a juvenile pair test so there's more wiggle room in the rules? I think silver and gold pairs level require juvenile pairs test and no higher.

LoopLoop
06-02-2004, 12:57 PM
We need a true-to-form, blown-in-the-bottle, and genuine death spiral!

Doesn't that mean we have to actually *work on it*? ;)
How's your wrist?

NoVa Sk8r
06-02-2004, 01:25 PM
Doesn't that mean we have to actually *work on it*? ;)
How's your wrist?

Oh, right, forgot about that part. Work IS a 4-letter word.

The wrist is OK. I'm more concerned about the sunburn at this point! You know, we did do a few decent DS's on Sunday.

I definitely overdid it at the gym last night--I've beat my old records in weight lifting. Why I continue to do this I don't know. My back is pleading me to stop. And I think the scale at the gym is wrong--there's no way I can weight that much! ;)

flo
06-02-2004, 01:35 PM
Hi NoVa,
With the juvenile pair I can skate silver or gold. If my partner was a master level, then I could also skate master because I meet the requirements for 1 level below. I would prefer to skate gold pairs. I did compete in masters pairs for two seasons, and it included the former kid pairs. Since we did place silver in masters it would be strange to skate silver - but depending on the partner I could.
Keep working on that death spiral! I posted a picture of mine on the icepartnersearch.com

Michigansk8er
06-02-2004, 01:39 PM
To get the go-ahead from my doctor to try some spins & jumps!!!!!

To not re-injure my back if I do get the go-ahead.

NoVa Sk8r
06-02-2004, 01:51 PM
Keep working on that death spiral! I posted a picture of mine on the icepartnersearch.com

I saw that picture--very impressive!!! :bow:

flo
06-02-2004, 02:00 PM
Nova - thanks. I like the inside death spirals - you can really get close to the ice. I remember from learning them to drop fast for the outsides, and slow for the insides. And while you're down there to make sure your partner's laces are tied!

icenut84
06-02-2004, 02:10 PM
My goals for the summer -

* To skate regularly and have regular lessons (now I'm at home instead of uni, it's much more travelling to get to the rink)

* To master the teapot/shoot the duck 8O

* To make more improvements on spinning

* To pass silver and gold Skate UK Star freeskating tests... (just got the teapot to go on the silver). Hopefully! That's my goal for now anyway.

LoopLoop
06-02-2004, 02:10 PM
The wrist is OK. I'm more concerned about the sunburn at this point! You know, we did do a few decent DS's on Sunday.

I definitely overdid it at the gym last night--I've beat my old records in weight lifting. Why I continue to do this I don't know. My back is pleading me to stop. And I think the scale at the gym is wrong--there's no way I can weigh that much! ;)

The sunburn wasn't much of a problem on Sunday, so it should be OK now. And since your wrist is better does that mean we can go back to trying the "step 2" DS?

Listen to your back! I don't want it to start screaming while I'm in the air.

NoVa Sk8r
06-02-2004, 02:43 PM
The sunburn wasn't much of a problem on Sunday, so it should be OK now. And since your wrist is better does that mean we can go back to trying the "step 2" DS?

Listen to your back! I don't want it to start screaming while I'm in the air.

Step 1 complete. Onward to step 2--and then to infinity and beyond!

Debbie S
06-02-2004, 02:44 PM
My goals:

1. Land the loop at speed.
2. Finally land that blasted flip I've been working on (on and off) for a year. :frus:
3. Land a sal-loop combo.
4. Get my sit spin lower.
5. Get camel-sit consistent (with at least 2 revs on the camel - I'm up to 1 1/2).
6. Get a backspin.
7. Don't embarrass myself skating my solo in my club's summer show. :)
8. Try not to finish last in Bronze FS at Wilmington (LoopLoop, NoVa Sk8er, and flo - are any of you guys doing Wilmington?). :)
9. Start Bronze MIF.

NoVa Sk8r
06-02-2004, 03:08 PM
8. Try not to finish last in Bronze FS at Wilmington (LoopLoop, NoVa Sk8er, and flo - are any of you guys doing Wilmington?). :)

Nope, it wasn't even on my radar screen--until now. Actually, I think my coach will be there, so I should reconsider. I haven't done a competition since March, and it would be nice to compete in one more event (by myself) before I compete in pairs for the first time. Decisions, decisions...

Much luck on your jumps and spins!

flo
06-02-2004, 03:30 PM
I don't know what I would have ready by then. I could do the "Friends" interpretive from Nationals. It might be well received at Wilmington. It's that or the fledgling.

Debbie - are oyu interested in private all adult ice on Wednesday evenings for a few weeks? One of our adults had a baby.

Goals - ? work on new programs, another double, try axel again, and I've aleady told my coach I want to work on pairs with him so I can try the throw doubles. Get a partner or build one from spare parts around the lab.

passion
06-02-2004, 04:14 PM
Land my double toe. Be able to do a descent layback.

20 mins treadmill three times per week. <------that might actually be my hardest goal. :frus:

charlie
06-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Summer Goals:

1) Land a double salchow again. :frus:
2) Get double toe loops consistent again.
3) Fix axel technique so free leg follows through better on takeoff
4) Get 6 revolutions on a flying camel (right now 4-5 is the max)
5) Spend more time working on sit spins and camels so they look respectable again

Debbie S
06-02-2004, 10:15 PM
Get a partner or build one from spare parts around the lab.

:lol:

I just sent you a PM. And I definitely think you should do the "Friends" number at Wilmington. What better place? :)

NoVa Sk8r
06-02-2004, 10:20 PM
And since your wrist is better does that mean we can go back to trying the "step 2" DS?

Hooray! Step 2 is looking good.

Summertime ... and the SKATIN' is easy!

NoVa Sk8r
06-02-2004, 10:22 PM
I've aleady told my coach I want to work on pairs with him so I can try the throw doubles. Get a partner or build one from spare parts around the lab.

OK, maybe we can coax mskater to move to DC/Baltimore. I know he is just dying to skate pairs again. :D

jazzpants
06-03-2004, 01:40 AM
Pass Bronze MITF test by August. Yeap! I'm moving it again. Those $#@&$ forward power 3's are :evil: (though certainly less so than a year ago.)

(Well, that's all I care about this summer, :P but the others would be nice too.)

Have backspin consistent (I got mine a couple of weeks ago. It's more frequent, but still not consistent.)

To have nice strong forward progressives in place of forward crossovers!

To consistently land my loop and flip at speed.

To get semi-consistent camels and camel-sits.

Mel On Ice
06-03-2004, 08:17 AM
1. pass bronze free
2. land a consistent loop
3. start landing flips again
4. get lower on the sit spin
5. choreograph a new spotlight program for ISI freestyle 3
6. get ready with my synchro team for the Adult Champs in Breckenridge
7. work on the fs4 dance step, I'm halfway there
8. turn attitude spin into a layback
9. work on upper body strength
10. start work on silver MIF

NCSkater02
06-03-2004, 08:28 AM
I just have a couple of goals this summer:

--do well at Dogwood (this weekend) and State Games (next weekend)
--learn a scratch spin (I've been struggling with it since Feb)
--find semi-regular ice time to stay at 3 times a week
--start working on Pre-Bronze MIF. We were working on them last year, then we started focusing on competing. Now that they are almost done, we can go back and start over so I can test this fall.
--Have fun, not hurt myself anymore, and get rid of the belly.

LoopLoop
06-03-2004, 09:06 AM
Hooray! Step 2 is looking good.
Another week or so of work and then perhaps on to Step 3?

Summertime ... and the SKATIN' is easy!
Ummm, can I say pair camel? :frus:

flo
06-03-2004, 09:52 AM
"OK, maybe we can coax mskater to move to DC/Baltimore. I know he is just dying to skate pairs again. "
Great, come on up! there's lots of clinical trials (I'm doing several at Hopkins)
Thanks,
Flo

Mrs Redboots
06-03-2004, 01:14 PM
Goals for this summer:

Immediate goal is to get the next two competitions out of the way, which involves polishing the extra 20 seconds in my artistic competition, and getting our "Waltzing Cat" routine much better polished. No DS for us, although I did see some pairs learning them during the skating camp. They don't look that much harder than a pivot spiral, but even still....

Then long-term we need to get a Free dance choreographed and working by the British Adult Championships in October, including a dance spin of minimum 3 revolutions, and perhaps 2 lifts. Bill P showed us how to do a "training lift" in France, and I've told my coach that we know how, but I'm not trying it on the ice without him there to show us again. Besides which, the middle of rather a good party isn't the best time to learn new skating moves....

Ah-HA - I just stretched my hand out and found I have a 1.5 minute cut (all I need) of the music I want.....

phillyskater
06-03-2004, 01:31 PM
Summer goals:

(1) Take (and pass!) Pre-Juvenile and Silver MIF
(2) Learn brackets
(3) Redeem myself at the Peach Classic after falling not once, but TWICE in Bronze freestyle last year :cry:
(4) Get to the gym or rink everyday
(5) Oh yeah, and get every adult skater on the planet to come to the Halloween Classic ;)

philly

Mel On Ice
06-03-2004, 03:43 PM
I'd love to skate at the Halloween Classic, but I think it's the same weekend as the Gateway Invitational. I know hubby and I are planning a Halloween party too -- he's going to be Charles Nelson Reilly and I'm going to be Brett Summers from MatchGame.

phillyskater
06-03-2004, 04:55 PM
Sounds like a great party!

MissIndigo
06-03-2004, 05:18 PM
I just have a couple of goals this summer:

--do well at Dogwood (this weekend) and State Games (next weekend)
--learn a scratch spin (I've been struggling with it since Feb)
--find semi-regular ice time to stay at 3 times a week
--start working on Pre-Bronze MIF. We were working on them last year, then we started focusing on competing. Now that they are almost done, we can go back and start over so I can test this fall.
--Have fun, not hurt myself anymore, and get rid of the belly.

Is there a schedule online anywhere for the NC State Games? I may consider running up to Raleigh to watch some events if I have the time to get away. I last competed in the State Games in 2002 but obligations at school have had me cutting back on ice time. :(

Good luck in the State Games--I really enjoyed it the years I participated.

nja
06-03-2004, 05:19 PM
I posted this under a similiar thread on the USFSA web page. Maybe if I put it here, also, it will give me double motivation!!

1. Land my axel consistently in my program which leads me to #2.

2. Pass my Adult Gold FS test.

3. Pass at least one of my last three Pre-Gold dances.

I'm also working on the Intermediate MIF test, but that is more of a secondary goal right now. My coach says I'm not that far from the test level (most of the elements are the same as the Adult Gold MIF test, which I passed in November), but we aren't really focusing a lot on it right now.

MissIndigo
06-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Right now, not smash my left knee ever again like I did six weeks ago. I return to the ice on Monday!!! :D

vesperholly
06-03-2004, 05:45 PM
- get back camel more consistent. The step is inconsistent but when I hit it, I can do the back camel from a camel for 2-3 rotations.
- work on flying camel take off
- decent CCW layback, since coach has forbidden me from doing any spins CW
- keep losing weight so that axel comes back (every time I lose a few pounds, the attempts get better)
- choreograph new program

And the most horrifying, frightening one yet:

- test Novice moves in July/August and pass

NCSkater02
06-04-2004, 07:53 AM
Is there a schedule online anywhere for the NC State Games? I may consider running up to Raleigh to watch some events if I have the time to get away. I last competed in the State Games in 2002 but obligations at school have had me cutting back on ice time. :(

Good luck in the State Games--I really enjoyed it the years I participated.

You could try Central Carolina Skate Club's site--they are sponsoring it. It will all be on Saturday starting at 8:15am and running through 8:30pm. I got my schedule through the club email.

IceAngel725
06-04-2004, 08:37 AM
1. Not to come in last at my next competition (which seems to be the usual...*sigh*

2. Get my lutz 100% consistent

3. Start landing my d loop more consistently... and to get my axel and d salchow.

4. Pass pre-juv moves and get a good start on juv moves

5. Improve my spirals

6. Keep my spins consistent and make good progress on back camel and layback...also to keep my sit spins lower

7. And most importantly, to skate faster!

skatingatty
06-04-2004, 09:34 AM
You could try Central Carolina Skate Club's site--they are sponsoring it. It will all be on Saturday starting at 8:15am and running through 8:30pm. I got my schedule through the club email.

Here's the website with the schedule:
http://www.centralcarolinasc.com/state%20games/2004revsgschedule.pdf

I'll be competing in Silver Ladies free and Adult showcase. There only one other woman competing against me in each, but this also unfortunately takes place the weekend right after the Dogwood Open in Raleigh.

Terri C
06-04-2004, 04:02 PM
My goals for the summer are:
1.Get the Bronze MIF to a passing standard
2. Get my loop cleaned up and takeoff with speed, as well as start working on flip and maybe, just maybe the lutz.
3. Learn new program (yes, folks, "Hello Dolly" is no more) and get it ready to compete at the end of October.

Above all else, have fun in Hackensack three weeks from now, as well as learn something to take home!

sk8er1964
06-04-2004, 04:10 PM
My goals are to work on the Novice moves (started last week) and to consistently land the double sal and hopefully the double toe. Also to make progress on the double loop and double flip. We'll see....