View Full Version : In reference to the double jump thread, what's a good stepping stone to any doubles?

skatetiludrop
06-02-2004, 12:14 AM
I want to start tackle them doubles and would like to know a good stepping stone from a single to a double jump. Any jump is welcome.

Mrs Redboots
06-02-2004, 05:33 AM
I imagine that if you have your axel, you are ready to start doubles. However, this is probably one of those occasions where trying them by yourself is not a good idea. You sound as though you are trying to teach yourself, which is fine as far as it goes, but even if you can't afford regular lessons, I really wouldn't try to go much further without at least the occasional lesson. You could hurt yourself very badly indeed this way! :(

TashaKat
06-02-2004, 09:36 AM
I imagine that if you have your axel, you are ready to start doubles. However, this is probably one of those occasions where trying them by yourself is not a good idea. You sound as though you are trying to teach yourself, which is fine as far as it goes, but even if you can't afford regular lessons, I really wouldn't try to go much further without at least the occasional lesson. You could hurt yourself very badly indeed this way! :(

ITA with Annabel (having fallen from a 2sal into side splits on one occasion! dunno how I managed that but I did .... thank GAWD that I'm flexible). Apart from the safety aspect though it's even more crucial that you have good technique when going into doubles.

Have a word with your instructor and see what they say. Maybe they can start giving you exercises in preparation. There are lots of schools of thought on this but some coaches will tell you to practise, practise, practise and practise again the backspin! Then you can do backspin straight up into loop and land in backspin. BO3's into loop. All helping with rotation.

I started on 2sal before I even started on the axel, some people get one, some the other ..... for me working on doubles is SO much easier than the axel BUT I suspect that is partly because I was 'trained' to believe that the axel is an incredibly difficult jump (ok, it's not an EASY jump but then no jump is when you're learning it!).

vesperholly
06-03-2004, 05:48 PM
I think getting a really good backspin helps. One where you can go from an open position and snap in really tight to rotate fast. This will help you simulate the extended position (I hope!) before the jump and quick rotation in the air.