View Full Version : Back from the Mountains

Mrs Redboots
05-31-2004, 04:29 PM
Well, I'm back! Don't know if anyone else is - Blue111Moon and Beccapoo have a long way to go...... John F should be home by now, though.

Well, best news is that Blue111Moon won the Ladies III Interpretive with her wonderful Snoopy, beating me into third place (well, I was seriously pleased to get 3rd, but I had been in the lead until she skated.... ah well.... can't win 'em all!). And as she had never won anything before - well, you can imagine how pleased she was.

Second best news is that, although we finished 3rd out of 3 in our dances, we simply skated better than we ever have before, especially in the first round on the Friday night. I was so thrilled....

I can't remember how well Beccapoo actually did in the Ladies II (she made the podium, but I'm not sure which step; we were gone by then), but her programme was extremely funny, and had us in fits..... I didn't see John's interp, but his free skate was totally awesome....

The camp was great, and I learnt a lot, mostly about my lack of flexibility. It wasn't that I couldn't do the moves, but I couldn't link them together. You try doing a Foxtrot Mohawk, followed by a couple of back cross-rolls, followed by a Fiesta Mohawk on the other foot, step to forwards and chasse, then repeat.... Well, most folk can do it, of course.....

Highlights: The Rubber Chicken, which Beccapoo (who else?) had carefully carried all the way to Estonia, then all the way to France, for the sole purpose of throwing it at one of the pairs..... that was one glorious Rubber chicken! The miniature Bourbons she threw on the ice for us (I didn't know I liked Bourbon, but, alas, I find I do.....)..... The Gold and Pro-Am Original Dances (heaven) - and the final skater of the competition, a Frenchman whose first name, appropriately, is Axel, bringing the house down with his mad housewife (skating to "Carmen"), and getting perfect 6s for presentation.....

Must go and unpack and go to bed. Tomorrow I'll rave about the wildlife & so on in the non-skating forum.

Stormy
05-31-2004, 04:34 PM
YAY, Blue111Moon!! I have seen her Snoopy routine, and it's great. Congrats!!! :)

Michigansk8er
05-31-2004, 05:32 PM
Welcome back..................and congrats to everyone who medaled. Way to go!!!!! :D

1lutz2klutz
05-31-2004, 07:05 PM
Congratulations Annabel, and to all who skated! Isn't this what we compete for- the opportunity to say "I skated my best and feel great about it"..... :bow:

skaternum
06-01-2004, 08:29 AM
Congrats Annabel! (I didn't see this post before I sent my PM. Please ignore my "how did you do" question.) :) Glad to hear you and Robert skated well!

Betty
06-01-2004, 09:59 AM
[QUOTE=Mrs Redboots]
Second best news is that, although we finished 3rd out of 3 in our dances, we simply skated better than we ever have before, especially in the first round on the Friday night. I was so thrilled....

Congratulations Annabel!!!!!

Would you know if there is a link on the web to the Mountan Cup and, or, the recent Estonia competition? (events,entries, results,etc.)

Would very much appreciate you posting any info regarding this you might know of.

blue111moon
06-01-2004, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the kind words, Annabel. Metting you and Robert and all of the wonderful people at Mountain Cip has to rank as one of the best experiences of my life. I'm happy that I went and I can't wait until next year.

I think I'm still in shock over the Interpretive III win. In fact, if I didn't have the cup sitting here in front of me, I wouldn't believe it really happened. I know my skating skills aren't the strongest (as evidenced by my last-place finish in Silver III Free Skating) but I was determined to have a great time with my programs and I did. Two of the judges were kind enough to tell me that my obvious enjoyment was one factor they particularly appreciated. So it pays to have fun! I'll miss the Snoopy program now (after two years, it's time to retire the old dog.) but I'm looking forward to coming up with something new for next year. I think my favorite things, though, were the reactions of everyone who saw me in just the make-up and floppy ears and hearing all the "woofs" from the spectators as I took my place on the ice. Adult skaters are the best supporters.

I loved the camp, too. I've never been on my skates so much for so many days in a row (thank God for the hotel Jacuzzi!) but the friends I made those first few days made it worth every ache. The Silver group was way beyond my ability level so I took a "demotion" to the Bronze on Sunday afternoon and was I glad I did. It was a terrific experience. I only hope I can remember the tricks and tips I learned. My thanks to the organziers and to Lionel, Manuela and Byron for the great lessons.

Villand-de-lans is a beautiful place, besides - and the food! I was afraid to get on the scale this morning after so muh cheese and ham and wine! All the exercize must have worked though because I mananged to lose 2 pounds, which, considering how much I ate is a miracle. Maybe I should start a new diet trend - the Mountain Cup Diet: crepes, croissants, tartiflette, raclette, cheese, ham, potatoes, chocolate mousse and creme de caramel. That's a diet I could follow religiously! :lol:

johnfisher
06-01-2004, 10:39 AM
Well, I'm back! Don't know if anyone else is - Blue111Moon and Beccapoo have a long way to go...... John F should be home by now, though.

Yes I was home by midnight Sunday, and was even keen enough to get up at 6am to go and skate at Coventry (for those not from the UK this is where many of our top skaters train, and watching Jenna McCorkell landing triples is good for inspiration)

Second best news is that, although we finished 3rd out of 3 in our dances, we simply skated better than we ever have before, especially in the first round on the Friday night. I was so thrilled.....

Well done to you and Robert, the difference since Dunkerque was clear to see.

I can't remember how well Beccapoo actually did in the Ladies II (she made the podium, but I'm not sure which step; we were gone by then), but her programme was extremely funny, and had us in fits..... I didn't see John's interp, but his free skate was totally awesome.........

Beccapoo's interp was awesome! :bow: :bow: :bow: Even better was the ice invasion after Jennifer's interp (apparently someone advertising mtncup.com), you guys crack me up 8-)

Thanks Annabel for the compliment on my freeskate. Personally I wasn't overly thrilled with it, I missed jumps that I shouldn't have missed and I know I could have skated it so much better. :roll: I came third out of three although one judge gave me first. Knowing it was fairly close (none of us skated as well as we could) makes me a bit annoyed with myself that I didn't keep it together. The one thing I was pleased about was making the 2loop-2loop combo for the first time in competition :D

Anyway I am pleased for Dimitrij who won, those Lithuanians came a long way to skate and they all did well. For some reason, which seemed like a good idea at the competitors party but is paling somewhat now, we both agreed to triples in 2005!!! 8O

On a better note I had the most awesome practices, I was flying out there on Thursday, even came really close on a few triple loops. And...I won the interp with some of my highest marks yet :D Since you missed it Annabel it looked a bit like this (check out the shirt!) :P

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~orie1117/DSCI0022.JPG

Highlights:

Uhh to many to mention. No 1 is getting to meet all the skaters that I have only known virtually until now - Bill, Piret, Chow, Jennifer, Becca, Century, Ana, Denis, Liz and so many more that I haven't mentioned. You guys were great :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Finally getting to hear becca's bark and Rob's moo. Wow, that was some moo 8O

All the interps. There effort some people go to always astounds me!

The competitors party - there was some serious steam getting let off here!

And the food! Blue111moon is soooo right about the food! Next time I am going to have to stay on a few days just so I can pig out on all the great food :mrgreen:

Here's some of the skaters at the farewell drink. I didn't get the big group picture so can someone who did email it to me...

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~orie1117/DSCI0023.JPG

I had such a great time and I can't wait for next year!

John

Mrs Redboots
06-01-2004, 11:50 AM
(thank God for the hotel Jacuzzi!) What price surprises in the Jacuzzi???? (we turned on the "extra" switch, and it bubbled where Blue111moon didn't expect! ;) )

Well done to you and Robert, the difference since Dunkerque was clear to see.Thanks. Although, to be fair, at Dunkerque I really wasn't feeling very well..... but all the same, we did skate better than ever. I wish I had seen your Interp, it must have been very funny....

LWalsh
06-02-2004, 08:00 AM
Are there results posted anywhere online?

Betty
06-02-2004, 09:59 AM

Good Question! I was hoping Annabel who was there, or someone else here might be able to answer this.

Thanks for asking.

johnfisher
06-02-2004, 10:23 AM

I doubt there will be yet, though Rob Litchefeld has them up from last year. So I expect given a bit of time he will post them at

http://www.gerfsc.com/mountcup.htm

John

Beccapoo2003
06-03-2004, 07:39 PM
Hi all! Wow! What fun! Too much to describe at this time! Can't wait to see all of my fellow inflicted, obsessed, AWESOME Adult Skater buddies again!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
MUCH MUCH LOVE!!!
Becca

jazzpants
06-04-2004, 01:02 AM
I'm glad to hear that you and Robert skated well too, Annabel! Congrats to you and to all those who have competed.

John, that outfit is FUNKY!!! I *LOVE* IT!!! :mrgreen:

Mrs Redboots
06-05-2004, 09:51 AM
Just to let you know that I've posted the results (which were sent round by e-mail) to the Yahoo Mountain Cup group web page. I am reluctant to post them on a public web-page, so anybody who isn't a member of the MC Yahoo group and would like to see a copy, please e-mail me, or pm me with your e-mail address, and I'll send you a copy in Microsoft Word format.

Raine
06-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Congrats, everyone. I'd like to do this event sometime. Sounds like the standard is very high, but I'd love to do an international.

Happy Skating,
Raine

Mrs Redboots
06-06-2004, 06:46 AM
I would have thought the standard was no higher than at Adult Nationals, if as high (you don't absolutely have to have your Bronze to do free skating, for instance - you may skate up). Why don't you plan on coming next year - it's 3-5 June, and, if all goes as the ISU Adult committee hope, there will be the first ever International Adult Championships the following weekend in Germany! This will not be formally announced until the autumn, though, but the Mountain Cup dates are fixed. It's also possible/probable that there will be the 2nd Vana Tallinn cup the previous week.

Mrs Redboots
06-06-2004, 07:08 AM
Full results now also available at:
http://www.gerfsc.com/mountcup/mc04results.htm

Raine
06-06-2004, 04:59 PM
Hi, Annabel...I hadn't heard about the Int'l in Germany. It might be worth the trip to do 2 or 3 internationals. Sounds like I should get my music and choreo for next year! :)

Cheers,
Raine