View Full Version : Bunga pads question

Debbie S
05-29-2004, 08:21 PM
OK, this may sound silly, but I've never used Bunga pads before, so bear with me. I was wondering if they could be cut, as in scissors. I ordered the 5-inch ankle pads, and I noticed that they come up a bit high on my ankle, probably b/c I'm fairly short (for an adult, anyway).

I really just need them to cover the front of my ankle and the side bones, so I was thinking about cutting them, but I have no idea if that's recommended or even possible. Any thoughts?

And does anyone have any suggestions on what to do about those dry patches that result from "lace bite", on the front of the ankle? I got this foot care kit in the makeup section of a dept store a few days ago - it's got a pumice rub and then a moisturizer - but I'd be interested to know what people have tried that's worked. I'm hopeful that the Bunga pads will stop the "bite", and I really want to work on getting rid of the accumulated effects.

luna_skater
05-29-2004, 08:55 PM
I bought a bunga sleeve last year and just cut it in half so I would have one for each ankle. I also have the dry patch, and have had it so long that there is really no getting rid of it (been skating for 18 years). The bunga sleeves keep it from getting worse, however.

96.23??
05-29-2004, 09:14 PM
I cut mine in half too. Normal scissors work just fine for cutting through the bunga pads.

icedancer2
05-30-2004, 12:05 AM
Every skater I have ever known has that "dry patch" -- I wouldn't bother getting rid of it, in fact I wear mine proudly knowing that having it makes me part of that great secret club called "skaters"! 8-)

TashaKat
05-30-2004, 12:16 AM
Everyone's already answered your question but HEY aren't they great?

Another one with the callous and, yes, bunga pad do help but there again so do Harlicks with the lambswool and rubber tongue (I don't need to wear Bungas with them) ...... mine all but disappeared once I started wearing Harlicks :)

NickiT
05-30-2004, 04:15 AM
I couldn't skate without my bungas. Seriously, because I have a metal plate and screws running down my ankle bone that protude slightly I have to protect them with a bunga pad. I use the oval ankle pad and yep it does extend above the top of my boot but the size is perfect for covering the screws so even though it's tempting for me to cut the top off, I cannot as I need the full pad. Having said that you can easily cut them to size if need be and once mine have worn out I keep them and cut them down for other small emergencies - ingrown toenail springs to mind!

Just another question though. I ordered some more bungas over two months ago now. They did email back immediately to say there is a two month delay and that's fine but although the charge appeared on my credit card statement a month ago, I'm still waiting for the goods. Is anyone else having these delays?

Nicki

Debbie S
05-30-2004, 03:08 PM
Thanks, everyone!

Nicki, I also had a problem ordering them. I ordered one (well, I thought I ordered 2, but 1 arrived) from Rainbo Sports and then when I went to order another, the site said they were out of stock. I then went to order them from the manufacturer, but I got a call from them a few days later telling me they were backordered 3 to 5 weeks. I told them to cancel the order and then tried another place from which I'd ordered a skirt from a couple of years ago. They had them in stock and I got it in the mail 2 days later. The company is Figure Skater's Resource and their site is http://www.figureskaters-resource.com/

I would call the company that you ordered from and have them cancel the charge until you get them. In my experience with backordered items, the company doesn't charge until they ship the item. Definitely call the company and try to figure out what's going on.

CanAmSk8ter
05-30-2004, 04:58 PM
I still have those dry patches too, but they're a lot less noticeable than they were. I started putting on the really heavy lotion from Bath and Body Works- I forget what it's called, but it comes in a little round tub instead of a tube and it's super thick- after every shower and then putting on my socks or tights immediately after. Within a few weeks the patches were less noticeable and now I can hardly see them.

Oh, and you can definitely cut bungas. They won't unravel or anything.

mikawendy
06-01-2004, 10:53 AM
If any of you are in need of Bunga sleeves and are having trouble with delays, you could try another brand--

I use SILOPADS (by the SILOPOS company) (or vice versa, I can't remember). I bought one sleeve, not sure which one, and it was about 7 inches long. I cut it into 2 pieces so I'd have one for each ankle.

For those of you in the Virginia or Delaware area--this brand is carried by Skater's Paradise.

flo
06-01-2004, 12:09 PM
Hi, I also wear Harlicks and don't have problems with lace bite - I did with Ridell Royals.

TashaKat
06-01-2004, 12:52 PM
I bought 'alternative' Bunga's and went promptly back to the real thing! I can't remember what brand they were but the difference in price really wasn't worth it. Unlike the Bunga's they went saggy in the wash and got thin REALLY quickly. My Bunga's were used by about SEVEN different people including one of a Senior British Dance couple (so HEAVY work), a Junior Pairs couple (ditto), a Senior Solo Dance lady (and again), my Dance coach and, oh, me! My Bunga's are still floating around ..... somewhere ..... a bit grubby looking but still doing their job!

1lutz2klutz
06-01-2004, 05:05 PM
I use the silopos pads too- I get them through my PT suppliers and always order in sets of 6 because a lot of people at my rink ask me to get them some. The cuffs I use have lasted for a year so far, with no sign of unravelling or decaying.

kiwibabe
05-01-2005, 04:26 PM
Hi,

I need some help. I am looking for a bunga pad that will protect both sides of my ankle, my achilles heel and also to stop lace bite all at the same time. I really need one thing that will do everything for me. Any suggestions? I was looking at the bunga 10-inch ankle gel sleeve but the picture on the website is not working so I don't know if it will work.

At the moment I am spending 15 minutes per foot taping my ankles, achilles heel and also where I am getting lace bite, then trying on my boots to see if it works ok before I go on the ice. I hate breaking in new boots.

Any help you could give me would be great.

kiwibabe

windsor
05-02-2005, 02:11 PM
I don't know about Bunga pads, 'cause I've never tried them. However, I am wearing relatively new skates which cause bad boot bite on both sides of my ankles and they get infected all the time. My coach recommended using terrycloth bands, as in the kinds tennis players wear? Sweatbands? I guess you cut them to fit properly? Or maybe the wrist ones will stretch enough to go all the around the ankle at the edge of the boot. Not sure myself, haven't tried it yet. Right now I'm still doing the miles and miles of tape with some gauze pads stuck in.

I've known some skaters who use round cosmetic sponges as their padding.

Has anyone else ever had their ankle bone swell up for no apparent reason? I think just the pressure of the boots on my inside ankle causes it, but not sure. It happens periodically when I'm skating a lot (which would not be right now). Ends up causing the ankle to just stay swollen all the time. I've found wearing an ankle compression bandage helps some, but not sure if that is the best way to handle the problem.

kiwibabe
05-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Hi Windsor,

Now what you are going through sounds really painful. Have you been to see a doctor about the infections? I would. I'm like you using miles of tape. Apparently my coach has a pack of bunga pads lying around at home and she said I could try and see if they work for me, and if so I can buy them off her. I guess if you use a ankle compression bandage and put gauze/cosmetic sponges underneath, may save you some money on tape. So I'm gonna keep trying to find something that works ...

I don't know about Bunga pads, 'cause I've never tried them. However, I am wearing relatively new skates which cause bad boot bite on both sides of my ankles and they get infected all the time. My coach recommended using terrycloth bands, as in the kinds tennis players wear? Sweatbands? I guess you cut them to fit properly? Or maybe the wrist ones will stretch enough to go all the around the ankle at the edge of the boot. Not sure myself, haven't tried it yet. Right now I'm still doing the miles and miles of tape with some gauze pads stuck in.

I've known some skaters who use round cosmetic sponges as their padding.

Has anyone else ever had their ankle bone swell up for no apparent reason? I think just the pressure of the boots on my inside ankle causes it, but not sure. It happens periodically when I'm skating a lot (which would not be right now). Ends up causing the ankle to just stay swollen all the time. I've found wearing an ankle compression bandage helps some, but not sure if that is the best way to handle the problem.

Debbie S
05-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Windsor, I would definitely see a doctor. Skates do cause all sorts of weird marks and bumps on your feet, but what you have sounds unusual. Go see an orthopedist, who may have some ideas or may recommend you to a PT or orthopedic shoe person to come up with a solution.

Word of advice to anyone considering using Bunga - if you have had any sort of allergic reaction to Vitamin E oil (sometimes used to get rid of scars) or any sort of cosmetic product with Vitamin E (tocopherol is the chemical name), do NOT use Bunga. After I tried Bunga pads (notice that I started this thread a year ago), I got a rash on my ankle area - I had a bad reaction to Vitamin E oil that I used to get rid of a scar on my knee (from a fall during tennis) several years ago and concluded that the gel in Bunga (and Silipads and Clear Clouds) must contain Vitamin E of some sort. If you're like me, unfortunately, there's not a lot out there - I did have some success with those white circular foam pads that they give you when you're breaking in new skates - I think Rainbo sells them - although I used them to stop the top of my skates from rubbing a blister on my ankle.

TashaKat
05-02-2005, 05:40 PM

Yes, I did and ended up breaking a blood vessel in my foot and got a massive haematoma! I got to the point where I couldn't even wear skates because it was so painful even without skating and wasn't able to skate for about 6 weeks until it all settled. The only thing that worked for me was to get new boots. I tried everything, cosmetic sponges, bubble wrap, bunga pads, you name it. The doctors at my hospital said that I could either be admitted and have heavy duty blood thinners or I could rest it, not skate and use massage to disperse the blood. I chose the latter but it was damn painful. I've got a high tolerance for pain but was in absolute agony when it was being massaged.

Unfortunately putting anything on your ankle may make it feel more comfortable but doesn't solve the problem, in fact it makes it worse because it's compressing your foot/ankle more. As I posted earlier in the thread, since buying Harlicks (which I had custom made because of problems with boot fitting) I've never had a problem since even with the double-duo concrete ones!

flippet
05-02-2005, 05:40 PM
I use an alternative 'bunga' product too....only I can't remember the brand name! It was a long, rectangular gel pad, no fabric sleeve of any sort. It came in a plastic pouch with a yellow paper backboard, and I think it cost me around $16-17. But--I was able to cut it in half, and use half for each instep (I was getting ankle and instep rubbing and blistering). Each piece was then about 3"X4 1/2" or so, I think. Placed at an angle, they covered the ankle bone and the instep beautifully. I've also used them across the front of the ankle for lace bite, and around the heel. They don't really slip, and they wash up beautifully--little bit of soap, and they're good to go. It was just something my pro shop had hanging around (they had a few different sizes/configurations)...I really wish I could remember the brand!

kittie067
05-02-2005, 08:40 PM
im thinking of getting these,

My ankles are small and the skates seem to not be tight enough,
But even when i lace them tighter,

It makes my ankles hurt, and my shin.

Would bunga pads help? :?:

~kittie

Casey
05-03-2005, 03:05 AM

Yes, I have this same problem on my left outside ankle currently, and it's been sore and swollen for some 6 weeks now. Bunga pads do help, but not entirely. I stopped skating for a week, and while the swelling settled a bit, it did not go away entirely, and came back as soon as I started skating again.

I was in a bind one day and used rental skates, and because of the different shape, they didn't bother my ankle.