View Full Version : Do / Can you go all the way down when you sit spin?

skatetiludrop
05-28-2004, 11:58 AM
I don't because I can't. I've been trying to do a beautiful sit spin that goes all the way down but I always catch on an edge or go too far on the back of the blades :??

icechick
05-28-2004, 12:57 PM
I can't either, but my coach (and my friend), who both say that "the cure" is to do a million shoot-the-ducks (no matter how many times you fall) to achieve the line (it seems that it's butt over your instep and reaching/stretching forward while arching one's back). Easier said than done for me because no matter how many times I practice this, I crash! I find it better to just get into the sit and then just stretch and arch....sometimes it actually "happens," but not as low as I (and I'll bet you) want it. My last coach gave me (and all of his students) an off-ice exercise which, I'll admit, I've been too overloaded on off-ice stuff to do, but should. At first, you should hold onto a secure apparatus (even a chair arm will do) and just stick your leg out in front with the toe pointed out and go up-and-down to get the feel, position and balance required. Then, you do the same thing without the prop. Hurts the quads like hell (and mine [I thought!] are very strong), but, if you do this regularly, it appears to work like a charm. One person at my rink has the lowest, best sit spin and this is exactly how she got it (with her Mom making her do it repetitively). She's even won spin comps with it! Soooo, if you want to try the embarassing shoot-the-duck while falling all over or just the off-ice move, I think that you'll get there. I HATE sit spins and for my next test I'm insisting on a camel (waaaaaay easier for me and [no surprise] had to re-skate the sit on my last test), give it a shot! Good luck to both of us!!!!

skatetiludrop
05-28-2004, 01:43 PM
Ahhhh, thanks so much for the great tips. See you down there soon! :D