View Full Version : Who do you skate like and who do you want to skate like

Tessie
05-27-2004, 09:52 PM
The what age did you start skating thread got me thinking about this :) ....

I think I skate like Maria Butryskaya - I don't bend my knees.

I would like to skate like Dorothy Hamel. I'm too old to dream about skating like anyone younger.

sk8er1964
05-27-2004, 10:06 PM
Unfortunately, I skate like me :roll: .

I'd like to skate like a female version of Johnny Weir. Starting to work on jump landing extensions...... :D ......I'd also like to borrow a few of his doubles - he doesn't need them anymore anyways!

Debbie S
05-27-2004, 11:04 PM
Well, I'd like to skate like Michelle Kwan or Kristi Yamaguchi or Sasha Cohen. Unfortunately, after seeing the videotape of my first competition a few months ago, I think I skate like Sarah Hughes (the hunching-over look), and I probably don't bend my knees enough either, so I guess I'm also Maria B.

Are there any elite skaters that flap their arms doing back crossovers? That would also be me. :roll:

TashaKat
05-27-2004, 11:40 PM
When I start back at the beginning of June I'll probably skate like bambi!

http://users2.ev1.net/~disneyelvis/Images/Disney/Bambi/BambiNThumperOnIce.gif

Though I'd like to skate like Denise Biellman or a female Robin Cousins 8-)

skatetiludrop
05-28-2004, 11:27 AM
I'm not sure who I skate like but I'd like to skate like Alexei :D

mikawendy
05-28-2004, 12:44 PM
I don't know who I skate like (I've never seen any dreaded video of myself skating), but here's who I'd like to skate like:

I'd like

Johnny Weir's double threes

Josef Sabovcik's footwork and turns (I saw him on TV on a Brian Boitano special)

the forward crossovers and knee bend of an ice dancer who skates at my rink

the backspin of a high-level adult skater who skates at my rink

Carolina Kostner's elegance

and the power and edge quality of my edge class teacher

icechick
05-28-2004, 01:16 PM
I skate like a robot (my coaches are SCREAMING at me about flow, knee bend, extension, so this should change) but always thought that I skated sorta similar to some of the elite pair skating women but, especially, I tried to emulate Oksana Kasakova...how embarassing when I realized that I wasn't even close, except in lifts, which I am very confident in (oh, and I don't freak of BODS :lol: !!!! My goal is to skate like Elena Berezhnaya with her speed, flexibility and presentation (a few days ago, one of my coaches told me [she's Russian, as all of my coaches have been] that I must "show the joy." I think that Elena shows all of the emotions, depending upon the music. So, I would love to skate as she does.