View Full Version : Accidental skills

Mel On Ice
05-27-2004, 08:37 AM
What have you naturally done on the ice that surprised you coach or fellow skaters?

When I was learning the half lutz, I managed to land a full lutz because I didn't know any better. It was completely by accident, I didn't even have the salchow consistent yet. My coach looked at me, gaping in amazement, and asked me to do it again, informing me what I had done. Of course, I've never been able to do it again. :frus:

When I was learning loops and half loops, I mixed them up and did one when I thought I was doing the other. When I had to think about it, the loop disappeared for a few years. Boy, thinking about the proper mechanics really does mess you up!

Finally, I was always fearful of blades clicking on inside mohawks, so I varied my approach. My coach asked me when I learned choctaws and said I did them really well. Didn't tell her my skill was based on fear, let her think I'm a natural. ;)

And out of frustration with certain elements I wasn't getting, I asked my coach to teach me something, just so I could say I learned a new skill. I managed to learn the inside spread eagle in 10 minutes. I'm actually glad we did that, because that helped "break" that mental plateau that I'm not learning anything, and I got the backspin, then the change-foot, then the loop.

vesperholly
05-27-2004, 08:48 AM
When I started with my new coach, she had me do all my jumps so she could watch my technique. I had a weird toe loop entry, so she had me do it a little differently. I went to do one, missed the toe pick and did a walley instead. Oops!

I can naturally spin both ways - scratch, back scratch, layback, sit-change... flying camel the "wrong" way but can't do a regular camel that way at all.

dbny
05-27-2004, 11:36 AM
I intended to do a little work on FO Mohawks, but got distracted and did a FO Choctaw instead. I was pretty surprised, but figured it percolated up from my roller dance days. I've been working on them since, but really need a lesson, and more knee bend, of course :lol:

TashaKat
05-27-2004, 02:18 PM
I *once* (and only once :( ) did a 2flip instead of a 2toe! I always used to mix up the toe and flip anyway (preferred the flip) and when I'd done it (untidy on the landing admittedly) my coach just stared at me ..... I thought that I'd screwed up big time ..... "do you know what you just did?" ...... erm, sorry, what DID I do? Well, I've NEVER been able to recreate it .... will probably not even be able to do a single flip anymore :( but that's my claim to fame!

Also used to be able to do a butterfly :D Got that when we were messing around and I didn't know what one was :)

Chico
05-27-2004, 09:16 PM
First time I tried to skate into an axel I did it. My friend was helping me and we both just about fainted. Around this time I almost landed one for my coach. She was so surprised she screamed, and scared the heck out of me. Thus, falling on the landing. She learned to cover her mouth and keep her surprise to herself! The double loop. My single has always been an extra comfortable jump. Anyway, I actually can do this sucker on a good day. I'm still surprised but happy that this has been true.

Chico

Magz
05-28-2004, 03:03 PM
Just the other day my coach asked me to try a double salchow...I don't think she expected much...but I landed it!!! But it wasn't pulled in enough, so I went back out and tried again and pulled in tighter. I skated back to my coach and she goes "Meghan...!!" and I'm like "Yes?" because I was expecting her to tell me to pull in it even tighter, but instead she told me that that was it!