View Full Version : Back-bends; yea or nay?

mskater
05-26-2004, 12:25 PM
Here's the situation; as part of my pre-skating warm-up I used to do a back-bend(or bridge, back limber, etc.)to stretch out my back. However, once I injured my lower back and started working with a PT, my PT suggested various other ways to stretch out my back because she felt the back-bend was a bit too caustic. This was a while back and now I've developed an odd, bulge of a muscle around my abs. I got some good advice from a friend, telling me to stretch out my abs after crunches, etc., but I want to know if back-bends really are something that should be avoided and, if so, why?

1lutz2klutz
05-26-2004, 01:13 PM
Hi- I'm the resident PT checking in on this question. Back bends create a tremendous amount of pressure on the small joints of the back and close down the opening where the spinal nerves exit the spinal cord. The position does NOT stretch the muscles of the back, it makes them contract completely and it is not a functional position at all. Think about it- you wouldn't "stretch" your elbow into complete hyperextension, nor would you force your ankle to bend backwards-why do it to the back? There are many ways to safely stretch out, and back bends are not one of them.

mskater
05-26-2004, 01:27 PM
1lutz- Thanks for the info...makes perfect sense, however, back-bends do stretch the ab muscles yes? My problem now is that I've got a "pouch" of hard muscle around my abs that I need to elongate. Is there another stretch that would be just as effective?

2axel_hopeful
05-26-2004, 06:55 PM
well skating does put tremendous strains on your back, so if you really want to save your back this sport isnt the best thing for you. :) I would imagine that doing a back bend works your back, and stretches your abs, not the other way around. Maybe the muscle around your tummy is just developed abs? And if it is, what is the problem? Unless your abs are so developed that you start having back trouble because they are pulling together. As for stretching your abs you could do a "cobra stretch". This is a common stretch from yoga, and its done by lying down with your arms right up against your body and the your fingertips at about the level of your ears, maybe lower. Then you push yourself up onto the elbows, and maybe then onto your palms, with straight, but not hyperextended, elbows. Make sure to keep your hip-bones down on the ground. Do this stretch carefully because yo don't want to hurt your back. :)

mskater
05-27-2004, 07:42 AM
well skating does put tremendous strains on your back, so if you really want to save your back this sport isnt the best thing for you.

-Fortunately or unfortunately I'm "hooked", though when I first seriously injured my back I wasn't so sure if I'd be able to keep skating. Physical therapy was my saving grace and though it's hard work and results/relief are not always immediate, it's the only thing that really works. The "cobra" stretch you mentioned is the same one my PT told me to do; now I have a name for it:]

I was watching gymnastics on tv the other day and that's what got me thinking of the back-bend again. It's such a tremendous stretch for the abs and one I've not been able to recreate through any other stretch...but I will refrain:]!!

2axel_hopeful
05-27-2004, 11:45 AM
yes i know, I'm hooked as well ;) :D :lol: My comment wasn't meant to be a negative comment, more of a fact. Glag you have something to call your strtch now! :lol: :lol: :bow:

mskater
05-27-2004, 01:28 PM
My comment wasn't meant to be a negative comment

-No worries, I didn't take it to be a negative comment...btw, I've accepted I'll most likely be stricken with arthritis before my 40's :roll: among other ailments! Tis the price we pay:]