View Full Version : Just when I thought I had it...

skatetiludrop
05-24-2004, 05:44 PM
First off, I'd like to say hi to everyone in this forum. I'm a newbie and I've passed ISI Freestyle 1 test months ago. I'm currently working on the loop, back and sit spin. The thing is, I thought I really had the loop just the other day when I managed to land almost every one attempted but today, I only landed a few. The problem is my right foot skid when I'm about to take off. The same thing happened to my back spin. I did some really good back spins the other day but today I was either too far back on the blades or too far front. I just can't seem to stay at that renowned 'sweet spot'. It's always like this, just when I think I have a particular move, I actually don't :cry:
Advice, if any?

Michigansk8er
05-24-2004, 06:12 PM
Welcome.............and don't feel alone. Every single thing I've ever learned has been there one day, and mysteriously disappeared the next. I've been known to have a jump consistently for a year only to have it go AWOL. You are on the right track because you know what you are doing wrong. Just keep practicing...........and your loop and backspin will be consistent before you know it.

TashaKat
05-24-2004, 11:24 PM
Yes, welcome to the world of skating :frus:

It seems to be a rite of passage that you get whatever move you're working on, feel really good about it and then the next day it's disappeared again :frus: BUT it does come back, honest! Don't stress about it too much, it may just be an 'off' day (even the best have off days) and don't spend your whole 1.5 hours on the ice trying to fix that one thing. If you're having a lesson get your coach to have a look at it and see if you've changed something (confidence can lead us to do all sorts of strange things that we didn't do when we were learning it) or if you're just practising and it's really not working give it up for another day and work on something else. Once the skating fairy decides that you've learned your lesson and you're not quite so confident anymore she'll give it back to you again!

http://writing.fsu.edu/cwc/fa01/kashm9/public_html/godmother.jpg

skatetiludrop
05-25-2004, 05:00 AM
Michigansk8er, TashaKat
Thanks for the advice. I'm sure happy to know that the loop and backspin are still there, hidden somewhere :roll: lol
I'm sure skating fairy will give them back to me pretty soon.
Thanks guys!

NickiT
05-25-2004, 07:33 AM
As others have already said, this is perfectly normal for us skaters. It's so frustrating and it happens to us all with nearly everything that we learn, but the good news is that with plenty of practice you'll soon notice that you get more hits and less misses. Of course the odd "bad" day rears it's ugly head once in a while too and can continue to haunt you many years after learning a particular element, so don't despair.

Nicki

garyc254
05-25-2004, 11:35 AM
Welcome to our group!! :D

Elements have a way of vanishing into a great black hole and into another dimension where we don't exist. :lol:

Fortunately, with practice, they suddenly emerge again when we least expect them.

Have a coach check you out. Usually the problem stems from posture. A dropped shoulder, an improper back arch, or an arm or head in the wrong position. Something that is hard to spot yourself midst element.

Good luck!!!

Chico
05-25-2004, 10:58 PM
Add me to the group. My experience is that when I lose a skill it's because I've gotten sloppy with my technique. I go back and "relearn" the skill. I work on all the pieces that make up the skill until I find the source of my errors. Sometimes the only thing that helps is to have my coach watch me and point out the errors. If both of these things aren't working I get my blades sharpened. Dull blades don't do you any favors. I also try the skill in a new way. Sometimes just freshening up the skill makes it work. When all fails I eat chocolate. =-) Doesn't fix things, but I feel better!

Chico

skatetiludrop
05-26-2004, 04:01 AM
Chico,
I think I'm gonna go for your suggestion about eating chocolate :P
Thanks you all for the advice.

1lutz2klutz
05-26-2004, 01:19 PM
My theory is that there are only so many loops and backspins allowed to exist at any one time in history, so we have to share them. If someone else needs one for a awhile, yours may be temporarily transferred across the rink or across the country for a while. :??

skatetiludrop
05-26-2004, 01:50 PM
1lutz2klutz,
That's a cute way of looking at it 8-)

jenlyon60
05-26-2004, 02:03 PM
Will whoever borrowed my intro-3s for the Blues and Paso please return them??? Pretty pretty please??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

TashaKat
05-26-2004, 03:01 PM
Will whoever borrowed my intro-3s for the Blues and Paso please return them??? Pretty pretty please??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can you pass them via me first please? My intro 3's for ANYTHING were always the crappiest 3's that I ever did!!

x

jenlyon60
05-26-2004, 05:31 PM
how about after the middle of next month? Coach refuses to change intros so I can do mohawk instead of 3-turn.

Heck, I can do Paso swing mohawk at speed, on time. But not the blamed intro-3. Something not right with that picture.

Chico
05-26-2004, 10:31 PM
1lutz2klurz,

Loved your theory. =-)

TashaKat,

I can do skills that are considered hard, but struggle on some stupid easy skills. Your not alone, you have company! I figure that it's because we WANT the hard skill, and shrug at the stupid easy skill. I know, I know.....bad, bad, bad.

Chico

Chico
05-26-2004, 10:33 PM
whoops...skatetiludrop....chocolate ALWAYS helps. =-)

Chico

skatetiludrop
05-27-2004, 08:44 AM
Well, I went skating today after that one frustrating session where all my cool moves seemed to just vanish. But what do you know, I went today not expecting anything so much and the next thing I knew I was landing a few acceptable loops and was backspinning myself away! Also, sit spin, which is my nemesis at the moment, seemed to be in its place although I managed to complete only 3 revolutions...oh well, it's on its way I guess. Then, towards the end of the session, after the last Zamboni work, I just skated away, fast, around the rink. Fwd crossovers, progressive, then to bkwd cross and progressive...oh boy did it feel good! Feeling the breeze hit your face is one of the most fantastic things about skating, dont you agree? ;)

Mel On Ice
05-27-2004, 08:44 AM
I'd love it if someone returned my flip. It was last seen in Cleveland, 2001.

Welcome STYD. Congrats on progressing to loops out of freestyle 1!

singerskates
05-27-2004, 05:34 PM
Talking about loops. Have you ever noticed that male skaters don't have to put their freeleg way passed their skating leg to do the loop jump? My coach says that women, girls too, have to make their free leg cross the skating leg much further because of the way our legs are made. I told Karey that it wasn't fair.

Now I know why my free leg was coming out of position. I didn't cross it far enough to the right of my right foot in the "conversion" before taking off on the loop. Since skating yesterday after doing it Karey's way at the boards, I tried it off ice. Makes for a great loop.

The other thing that can hinder a loop jump is how tight your skates are from the ankle up. I think my skates are too tight and I think I should get working on making a crease in my boots.

Brigitte

Kristin
05-28-2004, 10:08 AM
Actually, Brigitte, that isn't true. I'm a woman and I hardly ever cross my freeleg over in the single loop (my loop looks more like a "popped" double with the high open freeleg).

The only main reason you would want to cross the freeleg over is to get your weight over the skating leg (helps prevent 2 footing landings). Once you get it consistent, you can let the free leg drift a bit.

Once you get the loop, you will see what I mean.

Kristin

techskater
05-30-2004, 11:57 AM
And then you have to get it back crossed over so you can push down and get the double...