View Full Version : Ann Arbour Spring Skate:Adult Events Only

singerskates
05-24-2004, 12:57 PM
Hi, I competed yesterday at the Ann Arbour Spring Skate. I should have never told anyone what I was going to attemp online. Almost everyone in Adult Bronze FS had a layback spin and split jump. I got killed with no flip (my flip turned into a half flip), no lutz or lutz/loop combo and my spins were not combination spins. Plus, these 20 somethings skated circles around me. In other words, they had more speed than me. All things to add for next year's string of competitions. Plus, one of my spirals just didn't get up (wondering if it was a result of the collisions(sp)with a Junior Level skater who didn't look when she was setting up her double axel on the practice ice and hit me from behind. My lower back and bit were so sore after that.).

The plus, I skated better than the North American Adult Invitational but the other skaters upped the anti too. It was some awesome skating by us Adult Ladies Bronze FS skaters.

Anyone from the adult Bronze FS have the marks from the competition? Not the placement but the actual marks. I wonder what the judges gave us since the skating was for the most part more like Silver level skating than Bronze.

Oh, I may have come in last place, a.k.a. 4th out of 4, but I was 1st in the Adult Ladies Class 2. All the other skaters where Class 1.

I'll be training this summer off-ice to become like those 20 something Gummies.

Brigitte

jp1andOnly
05-24-2004, 01:38 PM
Hi, I competed yesterday at the Ann Arbour Spring Skate. I should have never told anyone what I was going to attemp online. Almost everyone in Adult Bronze FS had a layback spin and split jump. I got killed with no flip (my flip turned into a half flip), no lutz or lutz/loop combo and my spins were not combination spins. Plus, these 20 somethings skated circles around me. In other words, they had more speed than me. All things to add for next year's string of competitions. Plus, one of my spirals just didn't get up (wondering if it was a result of the collisions(sp)with a Junior Level skater who didn't look when she was setting up her double axel on the practice ice and hit me from behind. My lower back and bit were so sore after that.).

The plus, I skated better than the North American Adult Invitational but the other skaters upped the anti too. It was some awesome skating by us Adult Ladies Bronze FS skaters.

Anyone from the adult Bronze FS have the marks from the competition? Not the placement but the actual marks. I wonder what the judges gave us since the skating was for the most part more like Silver level skating than Bronze.

Oh, I may have come in last place, a.k.a. 4th out of 4, but I was 1st in the Adult Ladies Class 2. All the other skaters where Class 1.

I'll be training this summer off-ice to come like those 20 something Gummies.

Brigitte

Just a quick question..if you were in class 2 why did you skate class one?

Sometimes watching better skaters really helps with the motivation.

Elsy2
05-24-2004, 02:20 PM
I'm thinking you are saying you were class 2 as you were the only one in that age bracket in your flight?

I was looking at the results and was surprised by how few adult competitors there were. I competed in Ann Arbor ages ago.....2002. There were 12 in pre-bronze, 7 in Bronze, 7 in Silver, and 5 in Gold/Masters combined.

This year there were 2 in pre-bronze, 4 in bronze, no silver or gold ladies events. (I think these are the numbers I saw, this is from memory....)

Where'd everyone go?

Congrats to all of you who did compete!

skaternum
05-24-2004, 02:28 PM
I competed in Ann Arbor ages ago.....2002. There were 12 in pre-bronze, 7 in Bronze, 7 in Silver, and 5 in Gold/Masters combined. This year there were 2 in pre-bronze, 4 in bronze, no silver or gold ladies events. <snip> Where'd everyone go?

Numbers in the adult events are down for my club's competition, too. I think a lot of it has to do with the economy still being crummy. People who might normally travel a little ways to compete are reluctant to do so now. And speaking just for myself, I competed in AN a month ago. That was the culmination of my adult skating year, and I'm not competing my freeskate anymore. I'm hunkering down to try to work on new skills and MITF, and I'm just not in "competition mode" anymore.

Michigansk8er
05-24-2004, 04:35 PM
Congrats to Sk8er1964 for her gold in interp!!!!!! :D

Singerskates,

Just keep at it. I've placed higher than women that are younger than my daughter...........so it's certainly doable.

sk8er1964
05-25-2004, 12:01 PM
I'm thinking you are saying you were class 2 as you were the only one in that age bracket in your flight?

I was looking at the results and was surprised by how few adult competitors there were. I competed in Ann Arbor ages ago.....2002. There were 12 in pre-bronze, 7 in Bronze, 7 in Silver, and 5 in Gold/Masters combined.

This year there were 2 in pre-bronze, 4 in bronze, no silver or gold ladies events. (I think these are the numbers I saw, this is from memory....)

Where'd everyone go?

Congrats to all of you who did compete!

There were both a silver and a gold ladies event, but the skaters in them all withdrew due to the bast storms/flooding.power outages we had here last weekend. One of the silvers still competed in the interp, but all her competitors in the silver events didn't show.

Thanks for the congrats, Michigansk8er - I had a lot of fun with it. What a concept - skating an event without any pressure at all. I think I could learn something about the pressure I put on myself from this experience, hmmmm?

I'm with you, skaternum, about competing so close to AN - I didn't want to go anywhere near the freestyle event (but I'm glad I did the interp - it was my first try at that event :) ).

SIngerskates - it was good to see you again. Hang in there!