View Full Version : Best/Worst On-Ice experiences

Sk8Bunny
05-21-2004, 08:17 PM
Ok, time to fess up :lol: What's everyone's worst and best experience as a figure skater? I'll start:

Worst:
Last week I was practicing my intermediate moves, doing the backwards spiral stroking(not sure what its called), and an adult skater was doing her moves on the straight line. I was picking up speed, and looked behind me and saw her coming, both of us saw each other and thought we had time to pass by safely while not messing up either's pattern. We mis-timed lol. Caught the heels of our blades and I sent her up flying 3 feet in the air, she landed with a big thud and I stumbled. I got a HUGE stratch in my blade(didnt do too much damage tho) Thank goodness she didnt hurt herself! I was releived, until,*drum roll*, a coach came over and asked the adult, using her first name, if she was alright. Turns out that adult skater I sent flying 3 feet in the air is a judge for the upcoming test session!!!! And im testing my moves! 8O

Best:
Winter 2002, skating in a competition everyone thought I wouldnt place at cause I didnt have my axel at the pre-pre level. Skated my heart out, enjoyed EVERY SECOND of my program and couldnt stop smiling after I got off the ice. I ended up second! With no axel! Only one other girl didnt have her axel in the group and she placed near the bottom. Afterwards, I had people tell me that when my music started and I began skating, the whole rink went dead silent and watched. I had skated to a non-vocal arrangement of "Amazing Grace' and this particular competition was just after the September 11 events. (I had choosen the music before 9-11). I'll never forget that competition. It reminds me why I skate in the first place cause skating your personal best is simply ineffable.

Chico
05-21-2004, 09:38 PM
Best

Accomplishing a goal, especially one that I didn't think I'd ever obtain. Double loops pop to mind. I wanted to learn this, just did. Now I'm getting very close. Boggles my mind some days.

Worst

Having a falling out with my coach. Broke my heart at the time. Still does some days.

Chico

dbny
05-21-2004, 10:34 PM
Worst: Breaking my wrist at Lake Placid just days before I was scheduled to test pre-pre moves & my FO threes were soooo natural and easy all of a sudden.

Best: Finally passing pre-pre moves two years later, even though the FO threes have never been so good as they were before the accident.

alexeiluvr
05-21-2004, 10:42 PM
Worst: Competing with a stress fracture in my shin- GOSH THAT HURT!

Best: winning the gold medal at Regionals!!!

Cinderella
05-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Worst: breaking my wrist the second time in 4 months

Best: winning gold my first time at Adult Nationals (Ladies Gold 3). But I have to say that this is tied with two things - my continued excitement at meeting so many totally awesome and cool adult skaters, and just my general excitement and passion for skating every time I'm on the ice. The feeling is just so magical and overwhelming!

NickiT
05-23-2004, 10:57 AM
Worst
Badly breaking my ankle after a fall on the ice and ending up having emergency surgery to repair it.

Best
Being awarded the Best Endeavour Trophy at the end of our final night of our Christmas Ice Show, one year after my ankle injury. I was awarded it for my dedication and devotion to the sport, as it wasn't expected I'd be back on the ice after the accident.

Nicki

jazzpants
05-23-2004, 11:33 AM
Worst:

It's a 3-way tie between my scictica episode back in summer of 2000, my recent calf injury in March and losing one of my old secondary coaches to "circumstances." (Those of you old-timers at RSSIR probably know what I'm talking about.)

Best:

I think it would have to be getting the silver at Skate SF 2003. I was fully expecting to come in dead last at the competition given I was putting together the program last minute and it wasn't coming together 'til the very last week before the competition. I was quite surprised to find out that I got the Silver.

Careygram
05-23-2004, 12:31 PM
Worst--
1995, broke my left leg, both bones, multiple pieces, rods, screws multiple surgeries all for the love of a double flip.

Best--
had an olympic physician group (grinkov's) work on my leg, leg is great, have landed one double axel in my years skating. I was so happy just to come back but the double axel was a dream. Now I'm working on getting doubles back with consistency and landing another DA--I had a baby 3 years ago and the hips/fanny just don't seem to want to get it together but I'd rather have a healthy happy boy than a DA but you know, I want it all!