View Full Version : Loop Jump

ferelu
05-21-2004, 06:11 PM
Hi! I'm trying to learn the loop jump but I can't seem to get it. First, when I take off I go on my toe pick to jump off, second, when I land, I land on my inside edge and then I start to spin very slowly if I didn't throw my free leg on the ice. Any advice?

NoVa Sk8r
05-21-2004, 06:57 PM
The loop jump is a tricky bugger when first learning it because there is no change of foot (no fair!).

But some questions:
Can you do a back spin? If not, you should try working on that because that's the position you want in the air.

Assuming you are right-handed and that yo udo crossovers into the jump, do you cross your left skate in front before taking off. That way, you'll be in the correct position at take-off.

One of the tricks is to hold the right back outside (RBO) edge AND bend the right knee before taking off. I suspect that you are hitting your toe pick because you are keeping your right leg straight? Also, the RBO edge needs to be strong, not shallow to effect greater lift/rotation.

In addition, practice it off-ice.

Ths jump was the bane of my existence mainly because the group lessons instructor taught it as an open loop jump. That is to say, jumping with the left leg/hip open. He probably didn't realize this and we all copied him (he was no doubt scaling down his tirple to teach us adults a single!).

Good luck!

Chico
05-21-2004, 10:32 PM
I remember thinking this jump was hard when I first learned it. Now, I find this to be my most comfortable. I love this jump. =-) Tips. Great check on the takeoff. Hold the outside edge as long as possible. Bend your knees on the take off. Keep your pelivis forward on the take off. Keep your weight over your right side. Pull your arms in low. Stand up straight. Speed on the take-off helps. Don't forget to keep the check even when you pull in. Spring up before you pull in to rotate. Good luck.

Chico