View Full Version : Swizzles, sculling or lemons - what to call them?

dooobedooo
05-21-2004, 05:46 PM
I was teaching a couple of beginners these moves the other day, and didn't know what to call them. Two-footed move where you make an hourglass repeating pattern along the ice by moving the feet together and apart. What do you call them?

thumbyskates
05-21-2004, 06:01 PM
I call them Bubbles when I coach, because you can make a sound that goes "buuuuu-bblle" (Okay so sounds don't work when you type them, but maybe you get the idea.

NoVa Sk8r
05-21-2004, 06:49 PM
I remember growing up that they were called "coke bottles." Of course, I didn't but skate 4 or 5 times growing up before taking it up as a hobby as an adult. Coke bottles because the old glass soda bottles were curvaceous.

I coach Special Olympics, and the director calls it sculling. I always think, "Huh?" and then remember what the dang move is!

StarshineXavier
05-21-2004, 11:39 PM
Most coaches at my old club called them sculling or scullies, but I call them snowmen. I've heard them called bubbles too.

sk8er1964
05-22-2004, 10:28 AM
I've always called them "fish". That must have been what we called them back in the Dark Ages when I was a kid. :lol:

icenut84
05-22-2004, 10:49 AM
When I first learnt them I think they were called sculling, but some coaches at that rink called them lemons too.

jazzpants
05-22-2004, 11:34 AM
I remembered "fish" or "fishies" in my kiddie skating days too! ;) When I first heard the term "swizzles" I said "What's that? Some new complicated moves I've never heard of?" :lol:

I like "lemons." They DO look like lemons to me! :mrgreen:

Clarice
05-22-2004, 12:44 PM
We've always called them swizzles at our rink, and that's what they're called in the Basic Skills book. What are they called in ISI? Our group lessons were ISI when the rink first opened, then an in-house program our skating director developed, and now are USFSA Basic Skills, but we used the term "swizzle" under all those formats.

dooobedooo
05-22-2004, 02:46 PM
They're called "sculling" in the UK tests.

I know them as "swizzles", and called them this, but then realised that - for a beginner - the name is easily confused with "twizzles" (a series of unchecked one-footed turns)

So I thought I'd find out what everybody else calls them ... ;)

IceAngel725
05-22-2004, 04:13 PM
When i first began skating as a teen i knew them as swizzles and then sculls (which confused me for awhile...lol)... While teaching tots another coach tells the kids to do "heel toes" which seems to really work, esp. with younger kids.

aloha
05-23-2004, 01:06 PM
Wow those are some interesting names! I was taught from day one that they were called "double-sculling" and when you do the same movement on just one foot that was called "sculling" either left or right, forward or back, etc. but the house-glass movement i've always known it as "double-sculling"

kayskate
05-23-2004, 03:48 PM
I heard them called sculling before I got involved in teaching group lessons. I teach USFSA and they are called "swizzles" in our curriculum.
Kay

96.23??
05-23-2004, 06:34 PM
I call them either bubbles or sculling.

AshBugg44
05-26-2004, 01:30 PM
We call them swizzles here.

spicyicey
05-26-2004, 06:48 PM
When I was taking basic skills 10+ years ago (that's frightening - i'm only 16! :) ) they were called sculling, but now we call them swizzles. I know there was a change in the basic skills "curriculum" a few years ago, did it go along with that?