View Full Version : I am having the hardest time with FI 3 turns... Help!

JessicaLynn
05-20-2004, 11:45 PM
Hi everyone, I am so frustrated with my forward inside 3-turns. I can almost get them, but... ? My instructor says to keep my legs glued together and check out of the turn with arms/shoulders, but for some reason I can't do them (especially going clockwise, my bad side!) I think it is the BO edge after the turn that makes it all wrong for me.

Are there any other secrets to doing these? They are improving some, but I test in a week and I am nervous!

TashaKat
05-21-2004, 12:37 AM
Hi

When you say that you have to keep your legs 'glued together' do you mean together as in instep to heel? I was taught FI's with my free leg extended behind.

You say that the BO edge is the problem bit, it 'sounds' as though you may be overrotating when you turn which could be either you're 'throwing' yourself into the turn, you aren't controlling your arms/upper body or, if you are extending your leg back, you're crossing it over at the back which is pulling you too far round.

Just going through how I was taught it:

Start doing FI curves (ie RFI, LFI and so on .....). THEN think about doing a FI curve but tag a FI3 onto the end of it, make sure that the initial edge is finished before you do the 3 so that the turn is a result of technique rather than just throwing it around (one of my faults :roll: ). As far as the arms go, I was taught that if I'm doing a RFI3 then my left arm is to the front and right arm is to the side (some coaches teach it differently but I always found that the other way made me overrotate), make sure that you keep your arms in the position as you turn as swinging the left arm back can make it swing around. If you wait until the end of the edge that the turn *should* :lol: happen naturally ...... though *naturally* can take a while to happen ;)

I'm sure that others will have different ideas but, to be honest, if you've only got a week before your test I wouldn't mess about with it TOO much (ie don't change your basic technique). Take bits which seem to help your problem and see how they go ....... and GOOD LUCK for next week :)

x

Debbie S
05-21-2004, 12:16 PM
There are a variety of techniques that will work - the key is to find which works best for you. I agree with TashaKat that you shouldn't change your basic technique right before the test.

What helped me when I was practicing for my moves test was to turn my lead arm slightly in the direction I was turning to get some momentum for the turn. I start the FI curve open to the circle - in other words, for my RFI turn, my right arm is in front, and the opposite for LFI. Then, when I get ready to turn, my lead arm turns a bit toward the circle (across my body more). It's important, though, that your trailing arm stays the same. Then, the actual turn should be done by twisting your hips, and not your upper body.

I had a similar problem on my turns where I was kind of throwing myself into the turn and then would lose balance after the turn and not be able to stay on the edge. My coaches kept emphasizing the need to have a controlled upper body, and use the hips for the turning. Also, remember to check the turn afteward - the arm that is now in front of you should remain across your body and not out to the side.

Good luck on your test!

flo
05-21-2004, 12:55 PM
just one more suggestion, check the size of your curves. I was helping a feind wit the same problem, and his curves were so big it was difficult to maintain the back edge. Perhaps make them a bit smaller, then as you gain control increase to the appropriate size for your ht.
And just practice! You'll get them!

JessicaLynn
05-22-2004, 07:16 AM
Thank you everyone!

Based on the comments I read, I think my problem is "forcing" the turn, and possibly making the turn bigger than it needs to be. I was also told last lesson that I am going too fast into the turn, which isn't necessary. So... I will try to use my hips instead of throwing my body into the turn, and focus on control. My knees are together and my free leg is kind of behind my ankle when I turn. For some reason it seems I "think too hard" about it. I think I need to just do it.

I don't know.. I have class today at 1:00, so we will see how it goes!

Thanks again!

(I wish these were as easy as FO 3 turns!!! What makes these so much harder?)

TashaKat
05-22-2004, 02:22 PM
My knees are together and my free leg is kind of behind my ankle when I turn. For some reason it seems I "think too hard" about it. I think I need to just do it.

(I wish these were as easy as FO 3 turns!!! What makes these so much harder?)

Why don't you try relaxing the legs slightly as I find it really difficult to do FI3's with my legs in such a closed position. Don't go to the extended free leg as that may throw you off which is just what you DON'T want before the test but having your legs tight together may be blocking the turn.

Why are these harder? I think that the actual turn is 'freer' and more open to being affected by over-rotatation, over-rotating on the FO3 can happen but it doesn't seem to throw you off as much PLUS it's (IMO) easier to get your weight 'right' (or nearly right :roll: ) on an outside edge whereas an inside edge (again IMO) feels more precarious .....

Good luck with the test, let us know how it goes

Lx

Debbie S
05-22-2004, 06:08 PM
Why don't you try relaxing the legs slightly as I find it really difficult to do FI3's with my legs in such a closed position. Lx

I think different coaches have different ways of teaching it. When I was working on these turns for my moves test, my coaches kept insisting that I do it "toe to heel" and keep my knees together, b/c that keeps the weight entirely over the skating foot and decreases the chance that you'll shift your weight around and lose balance.

But I know another coach who teaches 3-turns with an extended free leg - she is a primarily a dance coach and I think this is how turns are done in ice dance.

TashaKat
05-22-2004, 11:45 PM
I think different coaches have different ways of teaching it. When I was working on these turns for my moves test, my coaches kept insisting that I do it "toe to heel" and keep my knees together, b/c that keeps the weight entirely over the skating foot and decreases the chance that you'll shift your weight around and lose balance.

But I know another coach who teaches 3-turns with an extended free leg - she is a primarily a dance coach and I think this is how turns are done in ice dance.

Erm, yes, I am aware that different coaches teach different things it was a SUGGESTION to try and help as I know that I find it harder to do the FI3 with the legs closed together :roll: I do free and dance and have been taught it with the extended free leg, I've tried it the other way too and if you read what I said I said NOT to change it altogether but that maybe relaxing the free leg slightly may help. We're taught extended leg for free (think toe loop), moves and dance.

aloha
05-23-2004, 01:02 PM
I was taught to do forward inside 3's with my back leg extended. i feel that that is a lot easier to control and to come around the 3turn. how bout if you were doin a right forward inside 3turn and normally you would put your right arm in front and the left arm back, try doing the opposite where your right arm is back and your left arm is in front. i find that easier to check the 3turn. remember to bend your right knee throughout the whole 3turn and transfer over to the other side. i suggest trying the 3turn with the back leg extended so that you can bend your skating knee and transfer.

hope that helps?
Aloha

jazzpants
05-23-2004, 02:42 PM
I've been taught both, but feel better with the "figures" method. Guess I'm not cut out for ice dancing, huh? ;) :lol:

Debbie S
05-23-2004, 04:28 PM
Erm, yes, I am aware that different coaches teach different things it was a SUGGESTION to try and help as I know that I find it harder to do the FI3 with the legs closed together :roll: I do free and dance and have been taught it with the extended free leg, I've tried it the other way too and if you read what I said I said NOT to change it altogether but that maybe relaxing the free leg slightly may help. We're taught extended leg for free (think toe loop), moves and dance.

Uh, oooo-kay. I'm not sure the shouting was necessary. I never criticized your way of doing nor did I challenge any of your suggestions. This is a discussion board after all, and I was merely discussing the possibilities. No need to take comments here so personally.