View Full Version : A New Adult Competition!!

phillyskater
05-20-2004, 03:21 PM
Hello all you Adult skaters out there!! I wanted to let everyone know that IceWorks Skating club in Aston, PA is hosting a new All-Adult Competition October 29-30, 2004 -- The 1st Annual IceWorks Halloween Classic. The competition will have Adult, Young Adult (18-24) and Masters Freestyle, Pairs, Dance, Compulsory Moves, Spins, Interpretive, Improv and Team events. As a result of a number of requests we received, there will be No Test and Pre-Bronze categories too so that even skaters who have never competed before can enter an event.

IceWorks is the home of Olympic Silver medalist Liz Manley and former coach and choreographer of Elvis Stojko and Brian Orser, Uschi Keszler. The rink has four ice surfaces, two restaurants, a fitness center, designated stretching room, pro shop, etc. And there will be plenty of practice ice available on site throughout the competition. It's located 20 minutes from the Philadelphia International Airport and 15 minutes from Wilmington, DE.

As an Adult skater and Competition Committee Co-Chair, it's my job to spread the word and answer questions. I'd be happy to hear any suggestions/questions/concerns that you all might have for us since this is our first year (I did take note of the comments under "Adult Nationals Feedback" thread - I wish we could offer a Channel 22 throughout the competition like they did, that was the best 8-) ). The applications are almost ready and will be available on the website at: www.iceworkssc.org. Or skaters can contact iceworkshalloweenclassic@iceworkssc.org.

One issue that is still unresolved is the competitors party. Any suggestions (restaurant vs. rink/open bar vs. cash bar/band vs. DJ, etc.)?

Thanks all!
Andrea (phillyskater)

SDFanatic
05-20-2004, 03:29 PM
Oh! Oh! Open bar open bar! Nothing like a bunch of already perfectly aged figure skaters with some go go juice skating on the ice!

Ok, ok, I take it back, I was just being goofy, again, I know, second time this year heaven forbid.

Are you posting this info other places? Or shall I post it to other lists that I'm on? Assuming someone doesn't beat me to it, lol!

Steven

NoVa Sk8r
05-20-2004, 03:29 PM
Philly, thanks for the announcement. I always like it when the organizers are, well, organized! Count on seeing me there in adult pairs (right, loops?) and other singles events. I hope there's a huge turnout.

P.S. Since your club has 4 rinks, any thought on hosting adult nationals?

dani
05-20-2004, 03:50 PM
Hi Philly!!

Thanks for finally joining us and really thanks for all of your help at AN! I really felt a lot better with you at the boards!

Hugs!
Danielle

phillyskater
05-20-2004, 04:07 PM
Hi Dani - It's always great to hear from you. And you certainly didn't need my help at Nationals - you were great!

NoVa Sk8r - Hello! I'm so glad to hear that you will be coming to the competition! If you'd like to PM me your e-mail addess, I'll send you the app. as soon as it's available. And to answer your question, if this event goes well, the Club probably will put in a bid for AN. We had Eastern Sectionals last year (standard, not adult) and it went really well! But I don't think there were 700+ skaters at Sectionals like there were at this year's Nationals. Did you go?

Steven - Thankfully, when the bar is open, the ice will be closed. We're concerned that open bar may raise the price of tickets too much. And do feel free to spread the word if you know other adult skaters - thanks!

I haven't been to many (okay, any :oops: ) of the competitors partys at the competitions I've been to, so I told the Board I'd get suggestions from others. How about a costume party for the Halloween theme?

skaternum
05-20-2004, 04:23 PM
I doubt I'll be able to attend, but I want to state a general preference I have. I don't like open bars for these kinds of parties because many skaters, especially those who have to compete the next morning, aren't drinking at all, and it's kind of unfair to ask the tea-totalers to help foot the bill for NoVaSk8r's drinking problem. ;) It raises the cost of tickets pretty high, and some people can't or just don't want to drink. It's more fair if those who want to drink do so with a cash bar.

My 2 cents.

SDFanatic
05-20-2004, 04:31 PM
Steven - Thankfully, when the bar is open, the ice will be closed. We're concerned that open bar may raise the price of tickets too much. And do feel free to spread the word if you know other adult skaters - thanks!
Hehe, yes, I agree, I don't drink at all, so would find it unfair in having to pay for it.

I haven't been to many (okay, any :oops: ) of the competitors partys at the competitions I've been to, so I told the Board I'd get suggestions from others. How about a costume party for the Halloween theme?

Costume party?!??!? Gal darn it! That means I'd have to wear pants!

Steven

sk8pics
05-20-2004, 04:39 PM
I saw the notice on the Ice Works web site and was glad. Unfortunately, I won't be able to participate since I already have tickets for Skate Canada. Too bad it's right during the two Grand Prix events in North America. I know not everybody goes to them, but I like to.

Oh well. It kills me to miss this since I live so close, and since I'm not going to be able to do as much as I had hoped at Skate Wilmington. Good luck with it all, though!

Pat

Arsenette
05-20-2004, 04:50 PM
Added that to our Competition Calendar Page (http://www.latinoskating.org/CompetitionCalendar.htm) :halo:

NoVa Sk8r
05-20-2004, 05:30 PM
I don't like open bars for these kinds of parties because many skaters, especially those who have to compete the next morning, aren't drinking at all, and it's kind of unfair to ask the tea-totalers to help foot the bill for NoVaSk8r's drinking problem. ;)

No no no--I'm no tippler. Loops has informed you incorrectly...it's PILLS, not booze, silly! :)

manleywoman
05-20-2004, 06:24 PM
I'm planning on going, as are a few of the other Masters Ladies against whom I compete. My parents are from Philly, so it's easy for me.

Terri C
05-20-2004, 06:47 PM
No no no--I'm no tippler. Loops has informed you incorrectly...it's PILLS, not booze, silly! :)

If that's all it is, THANK GOD, since I'll have to put up with that a month from now in NJ!! :lol:

Here's knowing that Philly will be my first competition of the season!

sk8er1964
05-20-2004, 09:18 PM
It would be great if you could put the announcement up on sk8stuff.com - many Midwesterners go there for info.

I'm interested, but we'll have to see how the finances go (I'd like to do the Peach Classic for the first time this year). When are the apps due?

I think the costume party would be a blast - but I bet you'd get a bunch of folks in their interp costumes :lol: !

skaternum
05-21-2004, 09:05 AM

Well, that saves us all money at the party, and still gives David & me a fighting chance when we compete against you. We always like to be on an even playing field. :lol:

LoopLoop
05-21-2004, 09:15 AM
Count on seeing me there in adult pairs (right, loops?) and other singles events. I hope there's a huge turnout.

P.S. Since your club has 4 rinks, any thought on hosting adult nationals?

We'll be there for silver pairs!

Careygram
05-21-2004, 09:44 AM
Whew! Long week at six sigma training. Can barely see straight. I didn't get to read anything on the board all week and today I saw this! We read about this at Adult Nationals and my partner and I are definitely going as are our friends who skate at Aston. I'm looking forward to this because it's adult AND it's local! We'll be in Silver pairs as well.

phillyskater
05-21-2004, 09:44 AM
I'm so happy to hear that some of you have already made plans to attend - that's great! We've been devoting a lot of time and energy to our promotion efforts (some of you may have seen the announcement cards at AN) so we're hoping for a huge turnout. And for those of you who are planning to attend (and even those who are not), your suggestions are certainly welcome. Luckily, I've been to enough adult competitions over the past year or so to get ideas of what I like and don't like (for example, we borrowed the idea for a designated stretching room from Eastern Sectionals). But I'd love to hear what other adults skaters appreciate too!

Sk8er1964 - Thanks for the recommendation about sk8stuff.com. I contacted Don Korte and our information has been posted.

Arsenette - Thanks for posting our info! I hope to see you at the competition.

sk8pics - Hello! Since you mentioned that you live nearby, did you know that IceWorks has Adult group lessons on Tuesday evenings with Liz Manley and others? PM me if you'd like more info.

manleywoman - I'm so glad to hear that you and the other Masters ladies will be coming.

So I think the general consensus among the group is to have a cash bar - consider it done. Now, how about some of the other details about the party. Any ideas?

phillyskater

dani
05-21-2004, 02:44 PM
We've been devoting a lot of time and energy to our promotion efforts (some of you may have seen the announcement cards at AN) so we're hoping for a huge turnout.

Are you that crazy lady that was passing those out?

:twisted:

Hugs!
Danielle

ps) No disrespect to "The Crazy Lady" at AN ;-)

phillyskater
05-21-2004, 03:15 PM
Are you that crazy lady that was passing those out?

You mean the one dressed like Charlie Chaplin? No, that wasn't me. ;)

dani
05-21-2004, 03:26 PM
You mean the one dressed like Charlie Chaplin? No, that wasn't me. ;)

Now That Lady *is* Crazy!

;-)

skaternum
05-23-2004, 07:19 AM
ps) No disrespect to "The Crazy Lady" at AN ;-)

None taken. Hee hee! :P

dani
05-23-2004, 10:00 AM
For those of you weren't there (and most of you weren't ;-) I was sitting in the cafe at AN with skaternum and Jennifer Simons walked up to her and said "your the crazy lady, right?"

After a couple of seconds it made sense to me, but at first I was quite shocked ;-)

Hugs all!

Danielle

ps) And I was Charlie in case that wasn't clear

phillyskater
05-23-2004, 07:03 PM
Competition News:

The Board met this weekend and voted on the latest version of the application. In accordance with the changes approved at Governing Council, we will be having Bronze, Silver, Gold and Masters Pairs events (as opposed to simply Adult and Masters). Also, the application as currently drafted does NOT have a Centenniel or Championship Dance event (Gold is the highest level dance event being offered). Question: Do you think we should add either of those events? Do they have a significant draw at other competitions? (Since I'm a Freestyle person, I don't know a lot about the Dance events).

Come to think of it, we don't have a Generation Gap Dance either. Should we?.....

Debbie S
05-23-2004, 09:07 PM
Well, I don't know much about dance either, but you could wait and see if the July Wilmington comp gets a large draw - I think they're having both of those events you mentioned. Then again, you might not want to wait that long, depending on your timetable.

I'm hoping to be able to do the competition - it will depend on my school assigments schedule (I'll be in my second year of b-school, and I've heard it's much less intense than the first, so I'm hopeful about the comp).

Btw, phillyskater, I competed at Wilmington in November in the team event. I was the shorter of the 2 "pink ladies". Are you competing at Wilmington in July? I am, hopefully in Bronze FS, if I get the sal-loop combo and backspin I've been working on.

phillyskater
05-24-2004, 08:08 AM
Hi Debbie! I hope you can make the competition - it should be a lot of fun (and much more adult-focused than the Wilmington event). Yep, I was there last November too - I was the only blond on "Team Gold" in the Maneuver Team event. We'll be having one at the new competition too, modeled very much like the one at Wilmington. Hopefully Dave and the other "pink lady" will be able to come too!