View Full Version : Back on the ice.....kind of

Michigansk8er
05-13-2004, 04:48 PM
I'm skating tomorrow for the first time since my surgery (lumbar fusion). I'm only allowed to do crossovers until July, but it's a start. Sk8er1964 is coming along to hold me up (if need be). I'm so excited, and nervous at the same time. A fall would not be a good thing.

sk8er1964
05-13-2004, 04:50 PM
I promise not to make you do any axels.....this time :) . I'm so glad we're going to skate tomorrow! 8-)

Michigansk8er
05-13-2004, 05:15 PM
I promise not to make you do any axels.....this time

You are pretty funny!!!!! :lol:

dbny
05-13-2004, 07:36 PM
Congratulations! Swizzles must be OK also, right? There is a great, low risk exercise I learned in an Annie's Edges class: swizzle, dip, swizzle, dip etc. You can do them F and B. It's a good work out and a good way to build your stamina back up. Annie even had us do them with a partner in class, one B and one F.

NCSkater02
05-13-2004, 07:55 PM
I had major surgery six months ago, and it killed me to stay off the ice. I managed to go 10 days, then I did mostly laps and edgework up to six weeks before my surgeon released me. Skipping the spinning didn't bother me too much, but that first waltz jump sure felt good!

Take it easy...you'll be amazed at how easily you will tire.

Beccapoo2003
05-13-2004, 09:12 PM
You go girl!! I had back surgery about this time last year and after FOLLOWING DOCS ORDERS ( hint, hint..you know how we skaters are about pushing the limit), during recovery, am back in full swing! Hang in there! Be good and may you have a great recovery!
Becca

jazzpants
05-14-2004, 02:02 AM
WHOO HOO!!! VERY good to hear that you're finally back on the ice!!! :mrgreen: Please let us know how it went, okay??? ;)

NickiT
05-14-2004, 07:59 AM
That's great news. I hope it goes well for you.

Nicki

flo
05-14-2004, 09:26 AM
Just enjoy and make friends with the ice again!

montanarose
05-14-2004, 10:02 AM
Let us know how it goes!

I second what somebody said to the effect that "you'll be amazed at how quickly you will tire." I tend to discount how aerobic skating can be, but whenever I have had a significant layoff I am always struck by how I can barely make it through a 45-minute session without huffing and puffing :oops:; then before long I can manage a couple of hours quite easily.

garyc254
05-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Glad to hear you're back on the ice (with limits).

Nothing wrong with working on basics until the doctor gives you the okay.

Michigansk8er
05-14-2004, 03:55 PM
Hi all,

I had a blast........and I took it very easy. I did a few forward and backward crossovers, but mostly just putzing around and talking. Nice to feel the ice again though!!!! Sk8er1964 kept me company...........and showed me her AWESOME new interp. :D

Beccapoo - what back surgery did you have? I had a fusion (L4/L5). I'm very lucky that my PT is a hockey player and understands my wanting to be back on the ice. He is as determined as I am.

sk8er1964
05-14-2004, 05:27 PM
It was a lot of fun! I didn't make her do any axels, but I thought about a walley or too....just kidding ;) . It was so great to see you back on the ice again -- it's been way too long. Thanks for the kudos on the interp - I love that music, as do you, and we both know why 8-) .

(PS - it's "God Bless the USA" and Michigansk8er and I were both in the military once upon a time).

Michigansk8er
05-14-2004, 05:44 PM
Ya..............a walley would be great. LOL!!!!!! Like that will EVER happen again.

Mrs Redboots
05-15-2004, 04:57 AM
You go girl!! I had back surgery about this time last year and after FOLLOWING DOCS ORDERS ( hint, hint..you know how we skaters are about pushing the limit), during recovery, am back in full swing! Hang in there! Be good and may you have a great recovery!
Beccaer, Becca? I take it that was after last year's Mountain Cup, not before????? (Do we see you again this year?)

Michigansk8r, mind you let us know how it goes!!!! Enquiring minds want to know. A friend of mine is just back on the ice after hip surgery in December, and although she can do most things, she is still skating within "grabbing-reach" of the barrier, having had a bad panic attack her last time back. However, she is beginning to regain her confidence, and she has every intention of competing at the British Adults.

Beccapoo2003
05-15-2004, 07:28 AM
Michigansk8ter, you WILL do a Walley, again! You're strong and in great shape! :) Annabel, I had the surgery right after Mtn Cup. There was a bone in the spine that had slipped and was cutting off the S. nerve causing some loss of use in one leg. The awesome surgeon opened her up and sorta rebuilt that area. (modern medicine is incredible)! Being a determined Adult Skater with goals in mind really helped in the recovery. Michigansk8ter, we'll have to compare scars some day! :lol: Stay positive and live your dream!
Beccapoo

Michigansk8er
05-15-2004, 12:16 PM
Michigansk8ter, we'll have to compare scars some day!

I hope mine heals as well as your's has!!!!! Did you get bionic parts too?

icenut84
05-15-2004, 12:26 PM
Congrats to all who are back on the ice! Follow doctor's orders and you'll soon get back to where you were. Ice is a neccessity for life. ;)

Raine
05-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Michigansk8er, glad to hear that your return to the ice was fun! Best of luck.

Raine

jazzpants
05-15-2004, 08:12 PM
Ya..............a walley would be great. LOL!!!!!! Like that will EVER happen again.Give it time! It will come back in time! LOL!!!!

And welcome back to hell (frozen over) :twisted: ... eh, I mean the ice!!! :D

Mel On Ice
05-16-2004, 12:33 PM
we CAN bebuild her! Good luck Leslie, and I'm so glad to hear you are back out there!