View Full Version : Weird hip pain

icenut84
05-12-2004, 12:06 PM
I got a really strange pain in my hip yesterday. :( It was after skating, I hadn't done anything out of the ordinary on the ice, and had stretched like normal, and everything was fine. After I left the rink, I'd been walking for maybe 5-10 mins (going through town), and I suddenly got a really sharp pain in my right hip. I don't know what happened, I didn't step funny or anything I don't think, it just suddenly happened and it really really hurt. I tried to move my leg a bit, e.g. opening the hip, trying to loosen it up, but it still hurt. I could still move and everything like normal, but it was painful. Anyway, the pain wore off, until last night when I was sitting on my bed, and I leaned forwards over my right knee to do something to my right foot - put my shoe on or something. My hip started hurting again in the same place, when I leant too far forward, so it was difficult to put my shoe on because my hip hurt whenever I leant forwards. I just tried it a minute ago to see if it's ok, I can still kind of feel it but it doesn't hurt now.

Anyone got any idea what went on? :(

FYI, it's not my landing hip, and anyway, I only do a few singles and I didn't do loads and loads of them or anything anyway.

I won't even start on the tight pain I keep getting in my left calf...

Mrs Redboots
05-12-2004, 12:20 PM
Sounds like either (a) you have a virus (when I do, my hips always hurt - and my left hip is aching at the moment, which I hope is not ominous!) or (b) your muscles are a bit tight and you need to loosen up. Maybe your coach could show you some stretching exercises to do after skating?

skaternum
05-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Not trying to frighten you, but these were symptoms I missed a couple of years ago that could have helped me avoid some major back problems! My pelvis had torqued, and my lower back around the sacrum was way out of alignment. Because of the biomechanical problems, it stretched & pulled muscles funny in my lower back, hip, inner thigh, and calf. It even affected my foot, eventually. (I'm much better now, but still in physical therapy 29 months later.)

It could be a tendon or ligament too. I'd encourage you to see a doctor. If you don't get any satisfaction with that or if it keeps happening, you might consider seeing an orthopedist, physical therapist, or chiropractor.