View Full Version : May Day Open Laurel, MD

RNsk8r
05-10-2004, 08:40 PM
Sk8pics mentioned this on another thread, and I think we need a roll call. Who is going to be at the May Day Open this weekend? I am skating Adult Silver ladies. It should be interesting, I was off the ice for 7wks from mono, and have only been back about 3, and due to other circumstances have only been able to skate once or twice a week. Oh well, we do this for fun right? Anyway, I hope to see some of you there.
Andrea

sk8pics
05-11-2004, 05:56 AM
Hi Andrea,

I guess it's obvious, but I thought I would add myself to your roll call! I'll be there, doing Artistic. Looks like that's a small group, but it seems like there's quite a few silver ladies! Good luck! I hope I'll see you skate.

BTW, do you know how long the warmup is? I emailed the organizers to ask but haven't gotten a response.

Have fun!
Pat

LoopLoop
05-11-2004, 07:53 AM
I'll be there in silver ladies, too! By the time allowed, I'm assuming there are 7 of us.

Marna

flo
05-11-2004, 08:45 AM
Good luck to all of you, and enjoy!

sk8pics
05-11-2004, 10:16 AM
Marna-- Do you know how long the warmups are? I know it's not a big deal, but it's nice to have some idea ahead of time.

Looking forward to seeing you guys...

Pat

LoopLoop
05-11-2004, 10:27 AM
In the past they've always given 6 minutes, as far as I can remember. At least the warmup never seemed abnormally short.

RNsk8r
05-11-2004, 02:48 PM
The warm up is 6 minutes. I'll see you all there!

NoVa Sk8r
05-11-2004, 03:37 PM
Good luck, ladies!
The men's events were canceled. Boo hiss!

sk8pics
05-11-2004, 06:08 PM
Thanks, LoopLoop and RNsk8r! It helps to know that. And since my event is only scheduled for 15 minutes there must be only 3 or 4 of us. Nice to get a medal for being brave enough to go out there!

Thanks for the well wishes; bummer about the men's events!

Pat

RNsk8r
05-15-2004, 09:47 PM
Well, I'm back. What a great competition. In the Silver Ladies, there was only one fall out of 7 competiters, and that was a fluke fall at the end of a program. Everyone skated very well, despite the ice being pretty horrible. There were 4 theater on ice groups that competed right before us, and no ice cut between. Oh well. I am so thrilled because I skated a clean program for the first time this year. I left out my axel intentionally because of lack of practice, but other than that I didn't leave anything out or screw up. And I got third place! My first bronze medal-my coaches and I were so thrilled. LoopLoop skated very well too, and came in 2nd-congratulations again LoopLoop. I also talked to sk8pics for a while, though I didn't get to see her compete. I was still coming down from cloud 9 for skating so well. Anyway, great fun for the last competition of the season for me, unless I do one of the summer ones. The jury's still out on that. Anyway, congratulations to everyone who skated-that's the most fun I've had at a competition to date, and the most relaxed I've ever been too.

PS. sk8pics, my email address is rnsk8r001@hotmail.com

sk8pics
05-16-2004, 08:39 AM
Hi RNsk8r--Congrats on a great skate! I spoke with the woman in the silver event who had the flukey fall, and it was too bad. The skating was really quite good. I'll send you that picture later today.

I was really happy with how I skated. I really could not have skated the program any better, although I literally shook through the whole thing. My coach told me he could see my hand shaking on my spiral and my left leg was shaking as I hit my closing pose. The ice was unbelievably horrible, and I find it really disgraceful that events were scheduled the way they were. I also thought it was really poor that we had to wait until after 9 pm to find out the results because supposedly the results sheet got lost. It just didn't seem all that well organized, or maybe things were just very hectic and crowded. I had more fun at Chelsea Piers than this competition. Still I'm happy with how I skated.

Pat

Terri C
05-16-2004, 03:32 PM
Glad everyone had a good time and skated well!! :bow: :bow:

Just curious, anyone watch the Bronze Ladies event? Who won?

sk8pics
05-16-2004, 04:58 PM
I watched part of the Bronze ladies. A woman named Kimberly won. She did great! I believe it was her first competition. I didn't see the other woman skate, unfortunately. I think I was off stretching. Ha, I got a little complacent about timing and we overestimated the amount of time before my event. I only just got my skates on before the warmup, :oops: and my coach told me later he was hoping I'd be ready in time, lol! Oh well, live and learn.

Debbie S
05-16-2004, 10:16 PM
Congrats to sk8pics, RNsk8r, LoopLoop, and everyone else who competed!

A 10-year-old I skate with competed in no-test FS there.

Is anyone planning to do the Chesapeake Open or Wilmington? I didn't take my tests in time to compete at Chesapeake, but I plan to go and watch, if schedule permits. I do think I will compete at Wilmington. I'll probably do Bronze, since I'm now eligible after passing Pre-Bronze MIF and FS earlier tonight. Yay! (and that MIF test was a nail-biter)

sk8pics
05-17-2004, 06:05 AM
Congratulations, Debbie! You must be very excited. You did the alternating 3's! :bow: That's the most impressive skill on that test, to me.

I will do something at Skate Wilmington, but not sure what. I don't think we have enough time to put together a pre-bronze free program, but my coach and I haven't discussed it yet. But I'll at least do interpretive and maybe moves.

Pat

LoopLoop
05-17-2004, 08:09 AM
Congrats, Debbie! And to RNSK8r, and everyone else who competed this weekend.

The ice was horrible for the adult events. There's no way they should have had us compete without doing an ice cut after the Theatre on Ice events; it was so rough in the center of the ice that it was distracting. I wasn't thrilled with my skate... I two-footed my axel and was slower than I would have liked, but I got through it. It was a bit frustrating because I'd been skating really good run-throughs in practice for the last two weeks, and this was my last time out with this program so I wanted to do it really well. But that's life, and time to move on to another program!

skaternum
05-17-2004, 08:42 AM
Yay, LoopLoop! And RNsk8r and Skatepics, too! I can't imagine how you were able to skate after a Theater on Ice event. Jeez. Sounds like a pretty big competition, if there were 7 in Silver.

Terri C
05-17-2004, 05:46 PM
I'll probably do Bronze, since I'm now eligible after passing Pre-Bronze MIF and FS earlier tonight. Yay! (and that MIF test was a nail-biter)

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D :D :D :D

Welcome to the "Alternating 3's Survival Society"
I probably won't compete this summer. I got new boots three weeks ago and I'm breaking them working on the Bronze MIF test. I'm going to Hackensack at the end of June for the USFS Adult Training Camp.